2011 Hunting Season Contest

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Contest

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Nice story Tex! And congrats to you Ben! Good luck in your future hunting endeavors, remember, ”aim small, miss small.”

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby wildcatter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Get that thing sighted in!! I too, am not very good at running shots, which is why I use Low Powered Variables, at about 1.5x I rarely miss. But I have customers that have missed running yotes and the dirt, that kicked up in the vicinity of the yote, killed the animal anyways. I know this phenomenon as "Barking"..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 am

Ok Wildcatter and everyone else.

Hunting season has begun in several areas and people are already posting kills of game harvested with the 450. Is there going to be a 2012 Hunting Season Contest? If so, I believe we should start it soon, or figure out if the people who posted already are eligible for this years contest.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby duckmanmark » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 am

I am taking my beast elk hunting in two weeks, I am going to try and line up a 6 x6 and a 500 pound bear for a single shot, across the valley, during the snow, while still in my sleeping bag,,,,,
Christian, Conservative
Husband, Father
Friend, Worker
Taxpayer
I'm not sure if this is a sigfile or an epitaph
duckmanmark

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:50 pm

duckmanmark wrote:I am taking my beast elk hunting in two weeks, I am going to try and line up a 6 x6 and a 500 pound bear for a single shot, across the valley, during the snow, while still in my sleeping bag,,,,,

You forgot, "...into a howling gale."
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:41 am

kottke_35 wrote:Ok Wildcatter and everyone else.

Hunting season has begun in several areas and people are already posting kills of game harvested with the 450. Is there going to be a 2012 Hunting Season Contest? If so, I believe we should start it soon, or figure out if the people who posted already are eligible for this years contest.

B.

I think we should and 100rds of new brass being the prize.

Let's get the rules down a little better.

I propose, but my no means the last arbitrator to them, so your in-put is needed. What I'd like to do, from the honor rules, from you account get the "Story", "Range", and "Weight" of the kill. If we were to take the weight of the animal, times the range, we'd get a read on my notion that this isn't just a 458socom, 200yd rig and there might be some equity here to boot. A 3000 lb Bison shot at 100yds (3000lb x 100yd = 30,000). But a 150lb deer shoot at 300yds will equal 45,000lb. The Deer wins or for you Texas Yote killers or a 35lb Coyote times say a range of 200yds would have a total number of 7000, now if you kill six of them under those conditions, the contest number would be 49,000 and the winner under these proposed rules or it would be possible to kill enough squirrels to be a single Bison.

My notion is to show how well we can Kill, using the correct bullet (a factory 250gr FTX might be the wrong bullet for an adult elephant at 300yds, we gotta be responsible about this, the guys are going to vote for the winner and irresponsibility might get you knocked down), Responsibly setting up the shots for Range, and that range for the 450b is much more than the Nay-Sayers, Under-Rated Theories.

So, here one of a thousand set-ups.. I've got three licenses for doe whitetails an active bait pile at 300yds. I suggest you sight-in at 300yds and if the deer are 100 per the total number would be quite sizable. 100x300x3=90,000 contest points.

Ok, so how would you tweak these notions but keep the Responsibility & Range, with over-all 450b Kill-ability, the factors I'd like to see??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Einstein would have an evening trying to figure out all the permutations there. How about a single deer contest. Weight + points + (yardage/10). The idea being that weight carries the biggest weight ;) and points and yardage are less important, but still worthy bonus points.

Examples:

100 pound doe at 100 yards = 110 Points
100 pound, 4 point buck at 100 yards = 114 points (still beats a doe)
100 pound doe at 300 yards = 130 points (beat all the above and it should)
140 pound 8 pointer at 50 yards = 153 points (beats all the above and it should)

Just another idea. If you want a Bison contest, have a Bison contest. Ditto on Yotes, Elk, Moose, or Prairie Dogs.

I'd pay $5.00 to enter a deer contest. I already have at work.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 am

OK, I don't have a dog in this fight, but shouldn't distance count more than weight of the deer (bison, etc.)? If we are talking about a skill factor here, then that is the only parameter that speaks to the skill of the hunter - everything else is what walks across the line of sight. And maybe divide by the number of rounds it took to take down the animal?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 am

Jim in Houston wrote:OK, I don't have a dog in this fight, but shouldn't distance count more than weight of the deer (bison, etc.)? If we are talking about a skill factor here, then that is the only parameter that speaks to the skill of the hunter - everything else is what walks across the line of sight. And maybe divide by the number of rounds it took to take down the animal?

Yeah, and what about long range elk, bison, ect.

I know there has to be a way to do this. My idea is to show the effectiveness, bigger animals are better range better too, so how to accomplish all that??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Wicked Hunter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:50 pm

How about this. Everybody posts pics of there animal along with the info about shot yardage, placement etc. Then at the end of the contest we put up one of them fancy Forum Poles and let the members vote. I think there should be a locked thread for the Pictures and Bio. That way is easier to see the pictures without all the clutter of comments and questions. There could be a seperate thread for this. I think this would be better since in my book a huge "Wall Hanger" deer is worth more points than a so-so elk. Yardage could be used as a tie breaker.
Wicked Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Trophy Wall