2011 Hunting Season Contest

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 2011 Hunting Season Contest

Postby MrRowdy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I think so far It's just my little chip shot that's in the lead for distance. I was hoping for a chance at a farther shot but my wife shot that one before I could lol.

262 yards, right? Well, heck I didn't get a nice buck like you but I got you a little on distance.
MrRowdy

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:07 pm

MrRowdy wrote:
Stealthshooter wrote:I think so far It's just my little chip shot that's in the lead for distance. I was hoping for a chance at a farther shot but my wife shot that one before I could lol.

262 yards, right? Well, heck I didn't get a nice buck like you but I got you a little on distance.

Yeah But, if'n ya don't PM me with a vote, then I can't record the real winner (speaking to our readers in general)..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:27 pm

I can't bring myself to vote for myself.
Stealthshooter

Postby MrRowdy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 am

Stealthshooter wrote:I can't bring myself to vote for myself.

Well since you couldn't do it I did it for ya. ;)
MrRowdy

Postby Stealthshooter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Thank you sir. I'd return the favor but I don't see your entry?
Stealthshooter

Postby MrRowdy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I shot mine in 2012 so I'll bow out and put in for this year.
MrRowdy

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm

MrRowdy wrote:I shot mine in 2012 so I'll bow out and put in for this year.

Wait, we've got a check fire until the 22nd, so write it up and get it up here for everyone to enjoy..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MrRowdy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Alrighty then.

The sun hung low, like so many heads in a global economy...

Just kidding. I got my new rifle a week prior, the .450 Bushmaster that I'd been drooling over for 2 months. I sighted it in and made a call to a friend for permission to hunt where I knew the elusive Whitetail were hanging out. I humped through the field of wheat before picking a spot. I sat against a tree in the middle of a clearing waiting. A group of turkey caught my attention so I marveled at how close they were without being spooked, then something caught my eye. Sure enough I saw a brown ass of a deer pass between trees. I knew they were beyond my intended range so I stalked closer. I crept closer until the doe that I had been affixed on took notice of me. No tail wagging so I knew I was good but better not press further. I kept my eyes on her while she kept her eyes on me, I sat. I unfolded my bipod and ranged her with my scope; 4.5 Mils. I consulted my chart and found her to be 300 yards away, I again consulted my chart and adjusted my elevation appropriately. I set the cross hairs on her and squeezed the trigger and watched as she dropped, legs folding. I continued to watch and she didn't move.

As I walked to her last known position I noticed the sun going down and moved faster. Once I got to her I looked around and noticed more turkey and more whitetail does in the trees looking at me confused. I dropped pack and dug out my cutlery. After field dressing her I dragged her 1/2 mile or so to a service road to the wheat field and left her, walking back to the truck; sun now long gone. I got the truck, went down and loaded her up. After all was said and done I lit a smoke, cracked a cold beer and enjoyed everything while I sat on my tailgate.

All said and done it may have been one of the more pleasant hunts of my life, just me, a gun and one harvested animal.
Last edited by MrRowdy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrRowdy

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 pm

MrRowdy wrote:Alrighty then.

The sun hung low, like so many heads in a global economy...

Just kidding. I got my new rifle a week prior, the .450 Bushmaster that I'd been drooling over for 2 months. I sighted it in and made a call to a friend for permission to hunt where I knew the elusive Whitetail were hanging out. I humped through the field of wheat before picking a spot. I sat against a tree in the middle of a clearing waiting. A group of turkey caught my attention so I marveled at how close they were without being spooked, then something caught my eye. Sure enough I saw a brown ass of a deer pass between trees. I knew they were beyond my intended range so I stalked closer. I crept closer until the doe that I had been affixed on took notice of me. No tail wagging so I knew I was good but better not press further. I kept my eyes on her while she kept her eyes on me, I sat. I unfolded my bipod and ranged her with my scope; 4.5 Mils. I consulted my chart and found her to be 300 yards away, I again consulted my chart and adjusted my elevation appropriately. I set the cross hairs on her and squeezed the trigger and watched as she dropped, legs folding. I continued to watch and she didn't move.

As I walked to her last known position I noticed the sun going down and moved faster. Once I got to her I looked around and noticed more turkey and more whitetail does in the trees looking at me confused. I dropped pack and dug out my cutlery. After field dressing her I dragged her 1/2 mile or so to a service road to the wheat field and left her walking back to the truck; sun now long gone. I got the truck, went down and loaded her up. After all was said and done I lit a smoke, cracked a cold beer and enjoyed everything while I sat on my tailgate.

All said and done it may have been one of the more pleasant hunts of my life, just me, a gun and one harvested animal.

Well Written,

Hey Du-Man, ya'll got ta do better than this and ya ain't got much time. Hurry on, I know you've got some terrific, long Range, Rice fields down there..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 pm

:oops: Well it didn't happen for me! :( ...with the 450b anyway :roll:
:) Congrats to all those who scored with the 450b 8-)

:) thanks for the check fire WC! ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

PreviousNext

Return to The Trophy Wall