What could I hunt with this caliber?

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

What could I hunt with this caliber?

Postby WAhunter » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 pm

I saw a article about the use of the .450 Bushmaster on hogs, what else could it be used on? Is it too large for deer? Too small for grizzly? I know very little of this caliber so, could someone enlighten me on this matter?
WAhunter

Re: What could I hunt with this caliber?

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Welcome aboard! There is some info on using it on deer in the trophy wall section. I would imagine it should be plenty for any large game in north america. I am sure others with more experience will chime in.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Colohunter » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm thinking of trying it out on Elk this coming fall.
Colohunter

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:07 pm

For whitetails, you can load it down with 200 gr FTX bullets. From my milk jug tests, they expand with good penetration up to around 2000 fps. That's 1,775 ft/lbs energy and a TKO rating of 25 which is the same TKO as a .300 Win Mag.

Another good choice at half the price for bullets than the 200 FTX is the 225 FTX. It is also optimized for 2000 fps, yielding 2,000 ft/lbs energy and a TKO of 29.

In CXP2 game like whitetails, they're perfect. Since it's taking forever to get my loads in the database, if you reload I can PM you some good recipes that deliver both the 200 and the 225 at 1900 fps at 100 yds with great accuracy. If you don't reload, the Hornady 250 FTX is currently the only choice for loaded ammo. At 100 yards, it's traveling around 1900 fps yielding 2,000 ft/lbs energy and a TKO of 30. Remington has been promising their version for quite some time. Image

I bought mine specifically for whitetails in thick wood and brush. Can't wait until November to see it in action.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:09 am

It's all about picking the right bullet for the task at hand. The head of the Freedom Group took a 450b on a Griz hunt last year and the 450 has now killed just about everything, everywhere. It's not to much for deer and meat damage is very minimal, considering it's caliber. The 30cal magnums do way more meat destruction. The last white tails I took out with a 300 H&H, was a double, both shot threw the front legs, broadsides, breaking the legs completely down and tearing off the main arteries, from the top of their hearts. One went 75 yards before surcombing, the other went 75yards to a fence, jumping over it, with the legs shot out from under it, and going an additional 75 yards in the Forrest. No! The 450 Bushmaster is not too much for deer. As Bushmeister has said, he no longer has to hone his tracking skills..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby WAhunter » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 am

Has anyone tried remington's Core-Lokt 450 bushmaster bullets? I am still looking into buying a bushmaster in this caliber so, how bad is the recoil and how available is the ammo? Has anyone taken a look at remingtons r-15 chambered in .450? http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... aster.aspx
WAhunter

Postby bushmeister » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

WAhunter wrote:Has anyone tried remington's Core-Lokt 450 bushmaster bullets?

No, but let us know how they shoot.....and where you got them :D And I've yet to see anything not die because the bullet was too big. Unless you are trying to hunt for furbearers, you should be good from coyote to moose. I only have experience with hog and deer, and it is superb.
bushmeister

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 am

WAhunter wrote: Has anyone taken a look at remingtons r-15 chambered in .450? http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... aster.aspx

I believe Wildcatter has an R-15 in .450 Bushmaster. Hey WAhunter where abouts in WA are ya? Bens Loans in Renton always stocks .450 ammo for under $30 a box.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MudBug » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Hoot wrote: Since it's taking forever to get my loads in the database,

OUCH! :oops:

Message received. :lol:
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Return to The Trophy Wall