Last deer season

Post pictures and tell us all about the critters you harvested with your Thumper.

Moderator: MudBug

Last deer season

Postby talonxracer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:03 am

I took two 8 pointers and a doe with the 450

and my little buddies took a large varmint
talonxracer

Re: Last deer season

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Nice kills did the 450 drop in their tracks?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby talonxracer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 pm

They didnt crumple on the spot, but both bucks were about 100 yard shots and were thrown sideways and they stumbled a few feet and then fell. The doe was close to 200 yards downhill on about a 45 degree slope and she ran about 125 feet and tried to jump a small creek and pile drove into the far bank. When I dressed her out, the heart had a hole directly through the center of it big enough to fit a fist through, rather lucky shot considering!
talonxracer

Postby Siringo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:20 pm

This cartridge is going to perform much the same as the current crop of muzzle loaders using the same type of bullets -- given the same or close to muzzle velocity. I have being doing quite a bit of reading on bullet perfomance by these folks. Once the bullet leaves the muzzle -- it doesn't matter what it was shot out of.

A lot of the muzzle loader crowd have a love/hate relationship with the Hornady 250 Gr. SST. Seems that it does not always pass thru. However, in the two deer I shot, the bullet went clean thru. I had a neck shot that looked a lot like the one posted.

I can hardly wait until Wildcatter gets his 'kill" bullet out!!!!
Siringo

Postby jagermaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Siringo wrote:This cartridge is going to perform much the same as the current crop of muzzle loaders using the same type of bullets -- given the same or close to muzzle velocity. I have being doing quite a bit of reading on bullet perfomance by these folks. Once the bullet leaves the muzzle -- it doesn't matter what it was shot out of.

A lot of the muzzle loader crowd have a love/hate relationship with the Hornady 250 Gr. SST. Seems that it does not always pass thru. However, in the two deer I shot, the bullet went clean thru. I had a neck shot that looked a lot like the one posted.

On both of my kills the bullet passed through using factory rounds.
This season I will be using the 275gr Barnes for fun.
jagermaster

Postby Siringo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Same here!
Siringo

Postby talonxracer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:10 pm

I have yet to recover a round from a deer, the factory fodder passes right thru with massive devastation internally. In fact I also use the same bullet in my Encore 209x50 ML with 150 grain charge of triple7 and have used that during regular rifle season with no reservations as a well placed shot is lethal. But after getting the 450 the ML is used in it's season only.
talonxracer

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:38 am

Siringo wrote:This cartridge is going to perform much the same as the current crop of muzzle loaders using the same type of bullets -- given the same or close to muzzle velocity. I have being doing quite a bit of reading on bullet perfomance by these folks. Once the bullet leaves the muzzle -- it doesn't matter what it was shot out of.

I love the performance of the Hornady 250 SST Loc-n-load; w/stem cut off, over 150grs of pyrodex powder, in my T/C Black Diamond XTR. It has taken more than several deer at ranges from 40 -160yds with phenomenal success; pass thru's on all "boiler room" shots. The only shots that didn't exit were a 40yd neck shot & an 80yd quartering away shot. No lost critters! This is one of the many reasons I settled on the 450b over other big bore AR's. ;)

the delivery system

120lb doe @ 160yds; 20yd button hook then flopped
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Return to The Trophy Wall