South Louisiana Gators

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

South Louisiana Gators

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Gator season openned this weekend and runs through Sept.
here's a couple pic's from openning weekend. they were caught by my neighbor & sons around our fishin' camps 8-)

hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Re: South Louisiana Gators

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Can they be taken with a modern rifle? Looks like they would be good fodder for the .450b. That first pic is amazing! Save me a skull and I'll pay the shipping. :mrgreen:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Clipity » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 pm

I don't know about Louisiana but Florida you can, watching Modern Rifle Adventure right now and thats what they're doing.
Clipity

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:39 pm

I thought I remembered seeing some show in the outdoor channel where they were using rifles on the. There was a part when they shot one the guy says "you can always tell when you shoot one because after the shot you see the arm above water like it is waving at you...". Do you hunt at dusk usually and just watch for eyeshine?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:28 pm

:!: they can be shot from the boat, bank, pier, etc. with a licensed trapper :? but the chances are high you won't recover it. :shock: you'd have to kill him stone dead on the bank or in really shallow water for a guaranteed recovery. each trapper has a limited number of tags :? so getting a trapper to chance losing a big gator(tag) for a "sport" hunt is slim. it happens, but for a high price and the la wildlife & fisheries frowns on the practice. :| typically they are "caught" on line & hook; set overnite, and shot at boatside with a .22lr.

the history channel has a series about louisiana gator hunters (swamp people) on right now :roll: that's mostly what prompted this post. it's a popular topic of interest when i'm hosting out of staters at my fishin' camp 8-)
MOUNTIN DU

Postby bushmeister » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Wow! It looks like three on the bottom are really nice sized. I've been applying here in GA for 8 years now. Hopefully my ship will come in....before it sets sail :D . I still haven't given up on the 450B gator harpoon. In GA you have to secure it, before you despatch it. I'm thinking a 450B line thrower would do both simultaneously! :mrgreen:
bushmeister

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote: typically they are "caught" on line & hook; set overnite, and shot at boatside with a .22lr .

To be fair to the animal, I think the .450B would be much more a humane kill than the .22lr.... :D
2zero6

Postby BayouBob » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:09 am

In Arkansas they have to be secured at the boatside before they can be shot. The tags and open areas are limited enough that there is real good chance a game warden will be watching the hunter. Hunters use either a noose or a harpoon to initially catch the gator then dispatch them once they are tied to the boat. Some of them use a bang stick but Thumper would do a good job.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:33 am

You gator guys are something else, I love ya. These pics are great! Hey, if somebody can get that TV program, wherein they are using the 450, I'd shore appreciate it..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm

here's some interesting video of "free range" alligator hunting.
http://louisianagator.com/
MOUNTIN DU

Next

Return to Outdoors