Any coyote hunters around here?

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

Any coyote hunters around here?

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 am

Never got into 'yote hunting in AZ but since moving to Kansas I have been interested in getting into it to satisfy my off season craving. I've got a Bushmaster Predator .223 upper that I plan on using and heard that it's a good idea to bring a shotgun for the close up shots as well. Ideally I would like to pick up an electronic caller that I can set out a small distance to keep the dogs off of me. I've also been looking at getting a ghillie suit so I blend into the tall grass.

Anyone have any tips, suggestions, etc that will help me get into this and be successful without tossing a bunch of money at it?
MrRowdy

Re: Any coyote hunters around here?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:21 am

Yuppers.... I bowhunted them a bit in TN. Now I hunt them here almost every other day.
Get some good calls. My highschool buddy, Rod Haydel makes great calls for every need. His dad started making calls a long time ago. Now Rod is running the business. They are world reknown for their duck and goose calls.
Also, Some of my favorite calls are made by http://www.woodswise.com/ . Almost all my deer calls and coyote calls are from Woodswise. My Predator calls and small game calls, I get from http://www.haydels.com/ . Give Haydels a call and ask for Rod. Tell him that I sent you.
I don't think I own any other calls except for one Knight and Hale slate call.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Ghost Dog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Rowdy, here's two sites that will help a lot:

http://varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I also have the predator upper, usually go out at night 4 or 5 times during the winter.
You could bring two guns, lots of guys do, but it's a ton of stuff to carry. Also depends on your terrain. I hunt flat farm fields, litterly can see for miles in most directions. I use the 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets and a xlr-250 kill light.
Camo is good, especially hands and face. Besides a great nose, they're really good at sensing movement.
They will circle and come up down wind of you. After that it's your own learning curve, I'm still learning. :D :D :D
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Colohunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

I've taken my 6.8 SPC out a couple times trying to get a coyote. I picked up an electronic Johnny Stewart call for pretty cheap, but so far I have not called anything to any of my stands. So, I don't really have any advice on how to be successful, hopefully I can get rid of the skunk before I go on too many more stands.
Colohunter

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Colohunter wrote:I've taken my 6.8 SPC out a couple times trying to get a coyote. I picked up an electronic Johnny Stewart call for pretty cheap, but so far I have not called anything to any of my stands. So, I don't really have any advice on how to be successful, hopefully I can get rid of the skunk before I go on too many more stands.

my buddies and I are probably going to go out within the next couple weeks if you want to join. Pm if interested.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm geared up for it, with the Bushmaster Predator .223 and 3-9x50 Minox Scope, but I haven't gone out yet. Matter of fact, I still need to sight that upper in...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby MrRowdy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:16 pm

kottke_35 wrote:
Colohunter wrote:I've taken my 6.8 SPC out a couple times trying to get a coyote. I picked up an electronic Johnny Stewart call for pretty cheap, but so far I have not called anything to any of my stands. So, I don't really have any advice on how to be successful, hopefully I can get rid of the skunk before I go on too many more stands.

my buddies and I are probably going to go out within the next couple weeks if you want to join. Pm if interested.

B.

If you boys aren't too far from the Kansas/ Colorado Border I wouldn't mind meeting up with you sometime. I'm in Saint Francis, 3 hours from Denver. :D
MrRowdy

Postby swiftdriver » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Hello Rowdy, I've been chasing those yotes for some time. Your idea of a shotgun is a good one. I was calling with my fox pro electronic caller down in Calif. a few years back and called in a 143 pound Tom. I was backed up to a small ridge in some brush watching two long draws out in front of me, I'd been calling for about ten minutes when I heard some noise above and to the left of me. When I got done crapping my pants I had Mr. 870 relocate him, you cant kill them in Ca. :mrgreen: Any way I use my 870 with #4 or that dead yote shot if I am feeling rich.
swiftdriver

Postby kottke_35 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:25 pm

MrRowdy wrote:
kottke_35 wrote:

If you boys aren't too far from the Kansas/ Colorado Border I wouldn't mind meeting up with you sometime. I'm in Saint Francis, 3 hours from Denver. :D

we could probably work something out. I'm just north of denver. I have some places we may be able to get on in Eastern Colorado.

Let me know what you think.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Colohunter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm

What days do you go out Kottke? I've just changed schedules at work, working Mon-Fri for the first time in years. I would love to get out, but I'm still learning the new duties...
Colohunter

Next

Return to Outdoors