Propane stoves for camping

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

Propane stoves for camping

Postby bushmeister » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Anybody have one they are in love with?? I need at least a 2 burner, propane fired. It will likely be 20lb cylinder fired.
bushmeister

Re: Propane stoves for camping

Postby BayouBob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Camp Chef. They start at about $100. A good way to judge a quality propane stove is how well it maintains a very low flame for slow simmering. The Camp Chef burner design does it very well and will go high enough to fry fish too.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BD1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 am

I use my old Coleman gas stove with a propane adapter. One of the best things going is the 2' "tree" that screws into the top of a 20 cylinder with multiple connections, including one on the top that a Coleman propane lantern screws into. I use this set up at the camp kitchen to run the stove with the lantern on top of the tree for light to cook by, and another lantern on a 6' hose for the table so we can see to eat.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jeepejeep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 am

I also have a Coleman 2 burner that I've had for over 20 years with no problems at all.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby bushmeister » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am

Yeah, my 20 yo coleman white gas fired one gave up the ghost, and then some sorry sob stole it from my hunting camp. I hope they blow themselves up trying to light it. I really want something with more horsepower than the coleman. I'll check out the camp chef.
bushmeister

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 am

If you really want to cook and don't mind the weight and bulk, this setup is great!
http://www.campchef.com/big-gas-grill-3.html

The grill piece just sits on top of the 2 burners while leaving one open for pots or pans.
9x19MdM

Postby BD1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

A few folks I know who put up seasonal semi-permanent camps use these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... 3798_23798

They're about like the burners on a commercial Garland stove. For the money, you can't cook much faster.
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby BayouBob » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Another advantage to the Camp Chef or the one BD1 refered to is the width between the burners. With the Coleman stoves you can't put two big skillets or pots on and keep them centered on the burners. We use two 13" skillets when we are cooking for several in camp and they fit perfectly on the stove.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BillytheKid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:39 pm

For a basecamp situation, it's hard to beat a Camp Chef.

Though, for quite a good many years I have used my home made alcohol stove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGJzUxnwCM
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm

BillytheKid wrote:For a basecamp situation, it's hard to beat a Camp Chef.

Though, for quite a good many years I have used my home made alcohol stove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGJzUxnwCM

I Love this, I'm going to put it on our Boy Scout Troop..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to Outdoors