too dang cold!

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

too dang cold!

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:48 am

:( i was planning to be at the camp deer huntin' this week... :? but with the morning temps droppin' down to near freezin' :| i decided nothin' would be movin' anyway :roll: ; man or beast :oops: maybe tomorrow :(
MOUNTIN DU

Re: too dang cold!

Postby Siringo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 am

OH for crying out loud!!!! Near freezing?! Try -20 degrees. I was muzzle loading here in MN a few years back in that temp. I could sit for about 45 minutes and that was it. Had to get moving -- and then because you have so many layers of clothes on, you sweat up right away. Then when you sit again -- you freeze up.

Got some "Under Armour" this year!!!!
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:48 am

Some of the biggest bucks I've killed were shot early in the morning on very cold days. usually at, or near, 0 deg. That cold is a big incentive for a buck to get out of his bed and into the sun to browse.
Caribou hunting we were happy as clams if the temps got up as high as 0.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby bushmeister » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:47 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::( i was planning to be at the camp deer huntin' this week... :? but with the morning temps droppin' down to near freezin' :| i decided nothin' would be movin' anyway :roll: ; man or beast :oops: maybe tomorrow :(

Du, if you didn't kill plenty of stuff when you did go out, I'd laugh. But, I remember when I lived on the lake, I didn't waterski if the wind wasn't just right. Or I didn't fish when it was cold. I guess you're just spoiled living in sportsmans paradise! ;)
bushmeister

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm

:D actually, i'm just tauntin' some of our frost-bitten buddies up north :D
:) the weather is just gettin' right for the big boys to start chasin' some tail. i shot a 500lb sow last week wit the 45-70. i'll be back after 'um for the next 4 days with the 450b in hand ;)
:? i had to come home for a couple days cause my dad was in the hospital :| so i used some spare time to knockout some 450's & 500's 8-)
:) hope to have some pic's to post next week :mrgreen:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:16 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::D actually, i'm just tauntin' some of our frost-bitten buddies up north :D
:) the weather is just gettin' right for the big boys to start chasin' some tail. i shot a 500lb sow last week wit the 45-70. i'll be back after 'um for the next 4 days with the 450b in hand ;)
:? i had to come home for a couple days cause my dad was in the hospital :| so i used some spare time to knockout some 450's & 500's 8-)
:) hope to have some pic's to post next week :mrgreen:

10-4, on teasing those northern boys. My buddy in southern Alabama is always teasing me about sitting on his front porch in shorts and no shirt. Funny thing is, he always calls when he knows it's mighty cold here in Mi. As for siringo and hunting in -20 below. Hey, that's a heat wave over here, but then again, dem-dar mini-sodas always have been light weights, wink..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Opener this year was quite warm -- 50's to 60's. Sun was so hot I had to get under a pine and take a snooze. Nothing like sleeping in the woods. Just can't figure out how that scrape got next to me -- and then there is that musk smell!
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Siringo wrote:Opener this year was quite warm -- 50's to 60's. Sun was so hot I had to get under a pine and take a snooze. Nothing like sleeping in the woods. Just can't figure out how that scrape got next to me -- and then there is that musk smell!

LOL!!! Yeah those in the woods sleeps are the best. Many years ago I took my 10 year old Nephew out on his first deer hunt, we were watching the 500yd line for passing bucks. The sun came out and warmed up the Hugh bolder we were using for a rest. Curling up next to that rock was pure bliss and we soon fell asleep. After some time had gone past, my nephew woke up and was really embarrassed that we fell asleep. I told him that sleeping in the heavy Forrest, was the best part of hunting, he was satisfied, we then later killed our buck.

It was warm over here too, for our opener on the 15th, I was actually hunting in tennis shoes and a short sleeve shirt. Heck, it was 57 yesterday, but she's not so good today, snow, cold, and blowing. I had deer knocking on my back door, wanting to come in and share the fireplace, go figure..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby xxInfidelxx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Just started snowing a little here in VA. Went out late yesterday and didn't see anything but a squirrel.
xxInfidelxx

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:40 pm

My neighbor gets his driveway pushed out by a contract bobcat as opposed to blowing it. Currently, the pile is 18 feet high. Up here the sad fact of life is the first and every subsequent snowfall lasts until the last snowfall due to the low temperatures. They just pile up and up until every sidewalk, driveway and secondary road looks like trenches and canyons. This winter looks like it's on track to be a record maker, even by Minnesota standards. Look what the last snowfall did to our metrodome. Not that it matters, since our team has been buried for some time ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Next

Return to Outdoors