Anyone bear hunting?

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

Anyone bear hunting?

Postby ChrisK1977 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:56 am

Every year I say that I am going to hunt one. Something seems to come up to where I can't. Anyone get to go or anyone plan to do any black bear hunting? I have always thought it would be cool to spot an stalk one but don't think that I am a bait hater or hound hater. I am to out of shape to run one with dogs, baiting can be expensive and time consuming(if you do it when many states allow you to start baiting and not hunt them to get a station established. I don't have them in my backyard so I would have to drive to an area to do that and I would be driving 10 hours or so. This is why I always thought that spot and stalk would be the least expensive way to go on a bear hunt if I would do it with out an outfitter. Now that I have my .450 I think I know what I would like to use. I love to bow hunt and wouldn't turn down a chance to go after one with my bows. But the carbine of mine is real handy.
ChrisK1977

Re: Anyone bear hunting?

Postby wildcatter » Wed May 07, 2014 5:43 pm

ChrisK1977 wrote:Every year I say that I am going to hunt one. Something seems to come up to where I can't. Anyone get to go or anyone plan to do any black bear hunting? I have always thought it would be cool to spot an stalk one but don't think that I am a bait hater or hound hater. I am to out of shape to run one with dogs, baiting can be expensive and time consuming(if you do it when many states allow you to start baiting and not hunt them to get a station established. I don't have them in my backyard so I would have to drive to an area to do that and I would be driving 10 hours or so. This is why I always thought that spot and stalk would be the least expensive way to go on a bear hunt if I would do it with out an outfitter. Now that I have my .450 I think I know what I would like to use. I love to bow hunt and wouldn't turn down a chance to go after one with my bows. But the carbine of mine is real handy.

Hey Chris,

Where do you live as in what state and relative location.

I PH'ed for some 25 or so years. I know a ton of guys that put out bait regularly for bear and you can rent one of those spots and they'll put you on the best hits Pile or the Big Bear Pile or, or..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby ChrisK1977 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Indiana, shoot me a pm and I will give you my email address.
ChrisK1977

Postby ChrisK1977 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:58 pm

thanks!
ChrisK1977

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 08, 2014 10:44 am

wildcatter wrote:
ChrisK1977 wrote:Every year I say that I am going to hunt one. Something seems to come up to where I can't. Anyone get to go or anyone plan to do any black bear hunting? I have always thought it would be cool to spot an stalk one but don't think that I am a bait hater or hound hater. I am to out of shape to run one with dogs, baiting can be expensive and time consuming(if you do it when many states allow you to start baiting and not hunt them to get a station established. I don't have them in my backyard so I would have to drive to an area to do that and I would be driving 10 hours or so. This is why I always thought that spot and stalk would be the least expensive way to go on a bear hunt if I would do it with out an outfitter. Now that I have my .450 I think I know what I would like to use. I love to bow hunt and wouldn't turn down a chance to go after one with my bows. But the carbine of mine is real handy.

Hey Chris,

Where do you live as in what state and relative location.

I PH'ed for some 25 or so years. I know a ton of guys that put out bait regularly for bear and you can rent one of those spots and they'll put you on the best hits Pile or the Big Bear Pile or, or..

..t

Ok Chris,

How do you feel about Canada.

I have hunted it for years. but as of late have not, but the success rates are indeed very high.

Specifically North of Lake superior, not a short ride for you but...

The fees are very affordable, meaning. You could drive up there, scout out an area to place bait get a motel, pay all the fees, and these Hunt Camps would still be cheaper. and you'd right on location with pre-paid everything, room and board, pre-placed baits, with game cams on them, etc., etc,. etc.

I myself have quit going to Canada, because of all the fees. I don't mind the hunting license, but its all the other fees, like paying to taking out the bear, from Canada, or the worste one, paying them $25.00 to register your weapon and then they share that intell with the BATFE, for free. But, Fees aside you'd get a wonderfully Adventurous Hunt. Here's but a couple and will be fun to read their sites..

..t

http://callofthenorth.com/BearHunt.htm
http://www.gobearhunt.com/bear-hunting-trips/

OR... Just Google Bear Hunts in America and the prices go astronomical..

Here's a small list from Outdoor Life, that gives really good advice for USA hunts,
http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hun ... bear-hunts

Ps.. if you do want to go Solo and NW Montana has always paid off for me. Then setting up in a really good bear hunting area is a must, BUUTTT, there are some tricks. Of course you won't know where the best place will be exactly, but no never mind, you're in a Bearie Good location by all reports, select a likely set-up spot, good cover for the Bears and shooting lanes for you. Now here's the big deal! Get a valve for a 25lb. Propane tank that very slowly leaks Propane from the valve, and I mean slowly, should last the tank 30 or more days worth of leaking, that alone will bring in every bear for 5 miles in any direction. and as far away as 25 miles. But know you need to hold them on your site.

So, well before you leave. Start going to the day old bread market and grab many 55gal drums of sweet breads as you can.

Putting out one drum at a time, on its side with a lot on down falls on top of it (you can't use too many down falls), will bring the bears back, over and over.

About your shooting lane. You'll need to be back at least 100yds from a good view of the bait, but in an area with great cover for the bear. You might need to take a Buck Saw along to take down a few small trees or branches, along you chosen shooting lane. The bears will be coming into a new area and will circle the bait many times, before going into it, you don't want to get scented out now, so stay well back from the bait.

The 25lb tank and Sweat Bread in Drums are the essential tricks, for opening up a new area!!..

..t

Pss.. At a Bread Distributor take along say 5 drums with the lids off, and tell them to fill these with the bread they are going to throw away. Go back with the lids everyday and pick up the drums they have filled. this bread is usually FREE. You'll need some sort of dolly to push or pull the drum along to your site. The good news is you wont have to go very far off the road, but not insight of the road. I usually go into the woods say 100yds or more and pick a likely spot that also has a shooting lane parallel to the road for safety reasons or at the road, you might get a two-fer, a Big Bear and a Brand New Big Chevrolet (Just kidding don't shoot towards the road and make absolutely sure, you're not any wheres near any houses either!!).

GOOD LUCK and kill one for the WildCatter..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby ChrisK1977 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:08 pm

If I would go hunt in Canada I would have to use my bow,shotgun or muzzleloader. I have a .257 Wby but I wouldn't be able to use my .450. I don't have a big problem with the other weapons but I would like to have that option. Have you ever called any in?
ChrisK1977

Postby ChrisK1977 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Did you get my Pm with my email address?
ChrisK1977

Postby wildcatter » Thu May 08, 2014 4:33 pm

ChrisK1977 wrote:If I would go hunt in Canada I would have to use my bow,shotgun or muzzleloader. I have a .257 Wby but I wouldn't be able to use my .450. I don't have a big problem with the other weapons but I would like to have that option. Have you ever called any in?

Yup, got your Pm, Thanks.

Called any in? Watt cha mean??

And yes getting in an AR15 is verboten in CanuckLand.

But I would take my Mini-14 that has been converted to 450 Bushmaster (if anyone wants a custom mini-14 in 450b speak up!). The mini's will sail right through customs, if the mag holds no more than 10 rds, which is no problem for us..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby ChrisK1977 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:42 pm

I was wondering if you have used mouth calls or electronic call to call a bear in.
ChrisK1977

Postby wildcatter » Sun May 11, 2014 5:54 pm

ChrisK1977 wrote:I was wondering if you have used mouth calls or electronic call to call a bear in.

Nah, I just do a TSD/Commander Fast and Furious "Fart" and that's surely to drive the bears to the Ambush Gunner..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Next

Return to Outdoors