wish me luck...

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

wish me luck...

Postby Hopalong » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Wasn't sure what to put on the subject line on this one, thought about "brain cramp" but this is more appropriate.

Anyway, Colorado has a drawing/points system for choosing who gets to hunt in prime areas. Last year a buddy drew Trinchera Ranch, a cow elk permit. I didn't, getting another preference point. So this year I figured I was a lock for the ranch. But I screwed up and missed the deadline, a real brain cramp. Hunting the ranch must be like what hunting in Colorado was years ago, not many hunters, lots of game, beautiful terrain. Anyway, every year, the DOW reserves 20% of the cow and doe tags for a lottery... You have to be a CO resident and put in your application in person in San Luis, CO. So I'm sitting in a motel near San Luis the night before the drawing. I have no idea how many people show up for this event, I''m not even sure how many tags are available, but it was worth a day of vaca to see if I can get one.

Wish me luck...

Hop
Hopalong

Re: wish me luck...

Postby Hopalong » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:55 am

No joy...

It turns out I had a one in fifteen chance to get either cow or doe. No such luck. Some guy drew his third cow in a row. Some 70 year old gal drew both. Her husband seemed more excited about it than she was... Two teenaged gals got cow tags.

Luck of the draw was never more apparent.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Colohunter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 am

Sorry to hear that. I drew a cow tag this year, but it was for area 55. It's usually fairly easy to get them there, but there are a lot of hunters and the elk are hit or miss. My grandfather loves that area though, so as long as he is still able to hunt we will probably continue to go there.
Colohunter

Postby Hopalong » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:29 am

There are still some tags available up here in some decent areas, so I'm not shut out completely. Good luck hunting with your grandfather this year, I was never that fortunate.

Hop
Hopalong

Postby Colohunter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:43 am

Thank you. That's one of the reasons we have continued to hunt that area. There area a lot of roads through the area, which makes it easy for him to get around without having to wear out his boots.
Colohunter

Return to Outdoors