First 450B harvest

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

First 450B harvest

Postby Specter23 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:34 am

I was pulled towards the 450 bushmaster because of the recent change in Michigans law that allows straight walled cartridges in the lower part of the lower peninsula. I built mine up just in time for gun season. I was not able to hunt opening day Saturday, but got the opportunity to hunt sunday evening and Monday morning. After sitting in the snowfall until about 930 I went back to my parents house. The weather was getting worse, so around 1130 I started packing up to go back home. I was in my parents garage when I looked out the garage door window and saw something on the edge of the cornfield and woods. My 450 bushmaster was right next to me in the garage, so I loaded it up and dialed up the power on the scope. I took a knee in the doorway of the garage to fire.

It dropped instantly. I use my rangefinder to check shot distance. It was 105 yards with the factory ammo.
Gun is a PSA blemished upper with ejection port opened and cover hinge points ground off. Franklin armory 11.5" barrel, MGI bolt, standard carbine gas tube and cheap young mfg gas block. The rail is a cheap UTG free float that I cut down. I cerakoted both the upper receiver and the rail. Scope is a 1-4 trijicon accupoint. It is on a registered SBR lower and is using an H2 buffer. I took nine shots to make sure it was sighted in, in the 10th shot from this gun took this deer. No malfunctions.
It was a through and through shot. For those interested in the damage here is a picture. The spine was obliterated and there were two large 1/2 baseball sized holes in each lung.

I processed out the deer for a good amount of venison. Next thing is to be ready for next year so I can harvest another with the 450 bushmaster and one of my handloads.
Specter23

Re: First 450B harvest

Postby paulmark3010 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

That is an awesome looking 450! Great job on the deer too. :twisted:
paulmark3010

Postby commander faschisto » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:09 pm

Veddy nice, indeed! Should be right tasty in the stew pot...or anywhere else, for that matter. Good work!

BTW, how's the muzzle blast on your mini-cannon?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Specter23 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 am

commander faschisto wrote:Veddy nice, indeed! Should be right tasty in the stew pot...or anywhere else, for that matter. Good work!

BTW, how's the muzzle blast on your mini-cannon?

Thanks - I guess I'm not overly sensitive to recoil or muzzle blast. Recoil wasn't bad at all. My wife fired it once when we were at the range and the muzzle blast was a little more powerful when not directly behind the gun. The muzzle flash was a bright white flash that was impressive, but didn't really bug me either. Right now I just have a thread protector in place.
Specter23

Postby tech54K » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Good catch!!
tech54K

Return to Outdoors