Urgent...

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

Urgent...

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Fri May 06, 2011 3:28 pm

:? ...throw all your spare life jackets into the streams and rivers you live next too! :| we will need them down here in a few days :roll: the "big muddy" is breaching the levees again! :oops: the crest is expected to be @ 47.5ft and will surpass the "great flood of '27" :shock:

:) on a good note, the crawfish season is gonna be a long one ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Re: Urgent...

Postby wildcatter » Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::? ...throw all your spare life jackets into the streams and rivers you live next too! :| we will need them down here in a few days :roll: the "big muddy" is breaching the levees again! :oops: the crest is expected to be @ 47.5ft and will surpass the "great flood of '27" :shock:

:) on a good note, the crawfish season is gonna be a long one ;)

Grab Your family and fly up here, until the problem subsides. I gotta a bed for your whole clan..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Fri May 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Hey T, make sure he brings those crawdads, been a long time since I've had em!!!
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri May 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Prayers sent. Be it the bloody Red or the mighty Mississippi, those rivers are a beast when they get angry.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BayouBob » Sat May 07, 2011 1:30 am

The White River has folks on I-40 having to take a 300 mile detour through here to get to Memphis, almost all on 2 lane rural roads. It probably is taking them 8 hours to cover what was a 90 minute stretch. Right now is the peak of striper season on the Arkansas River and I'm afraid all the fish are going to drown!
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby BillytheKid » Sat May 07, 2011 2:38 pm

I will pray for you.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat May 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Ditto
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun May 08, 2011 8:24 am

:| well... the "corps" decided to open the morganza spillway & the bonnet carre' spillway :? this spells relief for us :shock: but krotz springs & morgan city are gonna suffer. :(

:) ya'll get the snow... we get the runoff! :roll: actually it does help with coastal errosion by sending all that silt down too. 8-)
MOUNTIN DU

Postby Siringo » Sun May 08, 2011 10:47 am

Since I live in MN, have worked on flood remediation projects in Grand Forks and Fargo -- the waters you all get (other than those going north) are the direct result of loss of wet lands and drainage tiles in farm fields. When the snow melts, the ground is still frozen, and the run off heads to the inlets of the tiling, into the drainage ditches and then into the streams and rivers. There is no retention. Couple that with urban sprawl, storm sewer runoff and the problems move continually downstream. I once was at a contentious Council Meeting in a northern City where a concerned citizen put it right, "there is just too damn much asphalt!".
Siringo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun May 08, 2011 8:16 pm

:) Well said. we really don't have a problem with the water & silt as long as it stays within it's bounds. they both play a very important role in our estuary system and is the primary reason for our valuable, one of a kind seafood industry. ;)

Here's an interesting site that i belong to and may be of interest to some of you upstream guys 8-)
Great Rivers Habitat Alliance, it's chairman is Adolpus A. Busch and is supported by all our friends in the conservation & shooting sports world: nra, nra-ila, du, nwtf, sierra, qu, dw, rmef and many others. 8-)
http://www.grha.net

i wish all you guys well if you're affected or nearly affected by the flood waters. ;)
MOUNTIN DU

Return to Outdoors