Wild, Stream raised browns

Anything Outdoors. Hiking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Quads, motorcycles, camping, etc... You can talk about it here

Moderator: MudBug

Wild, Stream raised browns

Postby MudBug » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Spent part of the day yesterday at a rim stream known for wild browns. Please forgive the pics, since losing my camera in Canyon creek I'm limited to a 10 year old 2 mp Kodak.

We got there a little later than planned because just outside of star valley the front tire on the drivers side disintegrated. Strangest thing I ever saw or felt. I just heard what sounded like gravel being thrown up and then it felt like I was driving in sand. The whole sidewall on the outside just fell apart. These were BFG AT's with 10k miles on them. I found out later that the valve stem was old and cracked (should have been replaced with the new tires) and when it gave out the sidewalls that were hot from the long drive just fell apart.

Well, on to the fishing.

I had never been to this place before and like all the new places I've been introduced to since I start flyfishing I was very pleased with how green and beautiful it was.

In the first Hole I dropped into I got a couple strikes but failed to seal the deal I thought that maybe the #12 Dave;s Hoppers were too big so I switched to a smaller Joe's Hopper and moved on to the next pool where I caught this little guy who is now my personal best wild brown.

I think he was about 10 - 11" but that just going by eyeball.

I pulled him out of this hole.

And I'm very proud I was even able to get a line in there. I got a few other strikes which I missed then moved on.

I had lots of strikes that I just missed, I hooked to more that were in the 10 - 12" range including one that was an absolute brute that fought so hard I thought I may have a small creek monster, but since I forgot my net I lost him just as I got my hand on him. He looked like he was a bit bigger than my first fish, but I'm not sure. I lost another fish that was about 10-11" the same way (I need to remember my net next time). I did get a couple of smaller fish also.

and

I had a great time. My brother who hasn't been flyfishing in years went with me and really struggled with setting the hook and his 9' rod in all those trees.

I started with my 8'6" Redington CT 4wt but very quickly switched to my 5'8" White River Classic Ultralight 4 wt which just plain kicked ass both in those trees and a few pools where I got some longer casts.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: Wild, Stream raised browns

Postby Colohunter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 am

Good looking fish. There are some small lakes near the continental divide I like to fish at. The fish tend to only be around 7-9" Brook Trout, but the water is so clear I can usually watch them take the fly. I have seen some bigger fish swimming around, but they never seem interested.
Colohunter

Postby BayouBob » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Way up in the Ozarks there are some tiny little streams that most people would never think of fishing. For someone who likes to hike and use ultra-light tackle there is some wonderful fishing for native smallmouth bass. Most of them run in the 10 to 12 inch range but every once in a while in a little bit bigger hole you'll find a four pounder. Even down here in the delta there are some ingored opportunities. I've caught 6 pound largemouth out of drainage ditches that are dry half the year. Off the beaten path fishing is always the most rewarding.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Ok, the first fisher-liar doesn't have a chance....Up here in the Great Lakes we're spoiled rotten with sport fishing fishing opportunities. There are more than a dozen different trout species here and who knows how many salmon and hundreds of of pan fish varieties. First of all, trout streams here, are a dime a dozen (the kids here are born with a fly rod) and the Browns run in the 10 to 20+ pound category on a normal basis, with 40++ pounds being the state record (http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... -trout-cau). They are typically only somewhat longer than they are big around, thus we call them footballs.

When the browns or steel-head are spawning up the rivers, accidental firearms discharges are reported to take some of the run, on occasion (according to my Brother-in-law).

But in any event I love your pictures and fishing adventures. The Green in all that desert out there looks out of place and very inviting (hint)..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:15 pm

BayouBob wrote:Way up in the Ozarks there are some tiny little streams that most people would never think of fishing.

This creek runs right into one of the biggest creek trout destinations in AZ that is stocked all year long for the bait chuckers, but the last mile of the creek runs underground so people don't see it.

It also runs right next to a fairly popular hiking trail.

Most people don't think to fish it because these little wild browns are so spooky that most people look in the creek and see no fish.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby round 2 it » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 pm

great pictures and great story. That is some nice looking country.
round 2 it

Postby MudBug » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:24 pm

I went back with a friend and we caught a few more.

We went further up before dropping down to the stream and it was a much different place than the lower section. I only took a few pics of the area though when we first got there and they came out too dark to be of any use.

And a pic of one of the baby eagles at Woods Canyon lake.

I had a few more pictures of fish also which came out too dark. I'm getting used to my new $69 Sanyo which while still not as good as my old camera is faster to first shot than the old kodak and much, much smaller. It will be fine till I can afford a new waterproof wonder camera.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:08 am

Holy Cow Mudder, is that a Golden Eagle or is that a juvenile Baldy and are you ever close?? I think he wants your fish..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am

wildcatter wrote:Holy Cow Mudder, is that a Golden Eagle or is that a juvenile Baldy and are you ever close?? I think he wants your fish..t

It's a baby Bald Eagle. He was just sitting on the edge of the lake waiting for mom to bring him his breakfast as I drifted by in a float tube.

I was told that there was another one there somewhere since two of them were born this spring.

The adults were fishing the lake and having much better luck than me (I caught nothing but leg cramps in that lake).
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Being that close, so wonder Momma didn't feed you to the chick, chucking here..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Next

Return to Outdoors