Iowa pheasant hunt

Let's see the trophies you took with other calibers and weapons, etc
Hunting, Fishing Trapping, Noodling, I don't care.

Moderator: MudBug

Iowa pheasant hunt

Postby Smithjdsr » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:02 am

Our First Annual Cousin’s Pheasant Hunting Extravaganza is in the books. I walked just under 10 miles in two days over hill and dale and through some pretty rough cover. We had uncles and cousins from Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota and, of course, Iowa. On Friday we put 9 roosters in the game bag and 51 on Saturday.

https://imgur.com/a/eHOW8FV

A good time was had by all.
John

“Remember; No matter where you go, there you are.” -Buckaroo Banzai
Smithjdsr

Re: Iowa pheasant hunt

Postby coyote wacker » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:12 am

Great hunt !
I remember the days in Michigan.... Opening Day at 10 am hunters in every field and shotguns blasting all around....times have changed haven't herd or seen a pheasant in 6-8 years on the Farm never see a hunter with a dog in the field....
We still have the cover in the same places on the Farm that we had back in the 60's-70's.....I say the problem is many more hawks and owls also there were no coyotes.....also just might be the chemicals used in farming....
I haven't even owned a hunting dog since the early 90's its just not fair to have one and not have a place or any birds to let the dog do what it was bread for.....
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:44 am

coyote wacker wrote:Great hunt !
I remember the days in Michigan.... Opening Day at 10 am hunters in every field and shotguns blasting all around....times have changed haven't herd or seen a pheasant in 6-8 years on the Farm never see a hunter with a dog in the field....
We still have the cover in the same places on the Farm that we had back in the 60's-70's.....I say the problem is many more hawks and owls also there were no coyotes.....also just might be the chemicals used in farming....
I haven't even owned a hunting dog since the early 90's its just not fair to have one and not have a place or any birds to let the dog do what it was bread for.....

Same here including partridge. 20 odd uears ago was last time I went out, whole afternoon I walked with unloaded gun hoping just to see something.

Side note, I did see 3 hens last Monday by the farm so hopefully a rooster near by.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:25 pm

nice work!

here i would have thought the 450bm would be a bit too much gun for pheasants, but its nice to be proven wrong :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
plant_one

Return to The General Trophy Wall