First Turkey

Let's see the trophies you took with other calibers and weapons, etc
Hunting, Fishing Trapping, Noodling, I don't care.

Moderator: MudBug

First Turkey

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon May 19, 2014 5:01 pm

I was up in Colorado in late April at the Kessler Ranch about 30 miles east of Grand Junction for my first turkey hunt. My 3-day hunt was over in the first hour, as my guide put me on a good Tom at first light. I was using a UTAS UTS-15 with a Tru Glo Gobbler Choke. We couldn't call the Tom in as he wouldn't leave the nine hens in his brood, but when the whole flock moved over a rise and out of sight, we were able to creep up the rise that put us about 30 yards away. The rest is history.
Attachments
Turkey 02 red size.jpg
First Turkey
Turkey 02 red size.jpg (113.58 KiB) Viewed 21215 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: First Turkey

Postby Nosparks » Tue May 20, 2014 4:20 pm

Nice Bird! Congrats!
Nosparks

Postby wildcatter » Fri May 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I was up in Colorado in late April at the Kessler Ranch about 30 miles east of Grand Junction for my first turkey hunt. My 3-day hunt was over in the first hour, as my guide put me on a good Tom at first light. I was using a UTAS UTS-15 with a Tru Glo Gobbler Choke. We couldn't call the Tom in as he wouldn't leave the nine hens in his brood, but when the whole flock moved over a rise and out of sight, we were able to creep up the rise that put us about 30 yards away. The rest is history.

I'm going over to Jimbo's this ThanksGiving, who's coming wit-me??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat May 24, 2014 2:45 am

Very nice bird!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat May 24, 2014 4:35 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:I was up in Colorado in late April at the Kessler Ranch about 30 miles east of Grand Junction for my first turkey hunt. My 3-day hunt was over in the first hour, as my guide put me on a good Tom at first light. I was using a UTAS UTS-15 with a Tru Glo Gobbler Choke. We couldn't call the Tom in as he wouldn't leave the nine hens in his brood, but when the whole flock moved over a rise and out of sight, we were able to creep up the rise that put us about 30 yards away. The rest is history.

I'm going over to Jimbo's this ThanksGiving, who's coming wit-me??

..t

Sorry guys. The cook at the Kessler Canyon Ranch (http://cheflenny.com/ - check out his recipe for Bourbon and Bacon Waffles) made it into an appetizer for Happy Hour. Mmmmmmmm. Some kind of a spiced turkey pate roll. But I also think my guide made a deal with Chef Lenny for the leftovers.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to The General Trophy Wall