Cheap Bushmaster Optics

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Cheap Bushmaster Optics

Postby Duncan980 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:04 am

Hey Guys! I was caught up in the frenzy of a 450 Bushmaster upper for $230 shipped. I found a 5 round mag for it after some searching. Now, I'd like to put a scope on it. I have a 3x9 Nikon .223 scope with the BDC feature, which is not going to work very well with the 450 round. I'm looking for ideas for a scope and mount combo for a fairly cheap set-up...since I am a cheapskate.
Regards,
Duncan
Duncan980

Re: Cheap Bushmaster Optics

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:54 am

I'd get that Leopold CDS they make for the 450. I've never shot one past 200yds but that dial is dead on.

As far as mounts, The Burris PEPR is hard to beat.
Al in Mi

Postby Duncan980 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:42 am

Thank you for the recommendation! Get a beefy mount, something like the Burris PEPR which ha good reviews. I plan to run that with a Vortex Crossfire II 3x9 scope. Should be getting it all together this weekend.
Duncan980

Postby s4s4u » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:58 am

BDC isn't precise for 5.56 either as loads differ so much. You can DOPE your stadia for the 450 with a little time at the range and it will be an effective too.
s4s4u

Postby Smokinbubba » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:13 am

Duncan980 wrote:Hey Guys! I was caught up in the frenzy of a 450 Bushmaster upper for $230 shipped. I found a 5 round mag for it after some searching. Now, I'd like to put a scope on it. I have a 3x9 Nikon .223 scope with the BDC feature, which is not going to work very well with the 450 round. I'm looking for ideas for a scope and mount combo for a fairly cheap set-up...since I am a cheapskate.
Regards,
Duncan

Why wont the .223 nikon work? The spot on app shows with 100yd zero the bottom dot is at 394 yds. If you don't have the spot on app, I suggest you download it. Its a real game changer. I've been using a 4-12 buckmaster BDC for 4 yrs now and the Ohio Whitetails fear me.
Smokinbubba

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:22 am

Being a cheap skate just does't cut it for me....but if you want to take your chances on a infer product just to spend less....its going to catch up with you and your going to pay....
If you buy a top of the line product and it brakes then you have grounds to bitch.....

Just think about it there's a lot of scopes that can take the recoil of small caliber guns....you start getting into larger caliber heaver recoil and they will destroy a cheap scope ever time and you just don't know when its going to happen.....I busted a Burris top of the line scope with a Ruger 22 Mag. 3 shots bust another with a 22-250 in 6 shots....JUNK....

I would much rather have only a few guns that are equipped with the best to last and know they will not brake....than a bunch of junk that is in need of repairs or brakes who nows when.....
coyote wacker

Postby plant_one » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Duncan980 wrote: I have a 3x9 Nikon .223 scope with the BDC feature, which is not going to work very well with the 450 round.
Regards,
Duncan

with access to a chrono - *any* BDC reticle will work with any caliber ;)

you just pair your data into one of the many apps out there - i use strelok (pro - the paid edition because i liked the free so much and wanted to thank the aapp maker a bit) and they have about every reticle out there in their system.

give it good data and it'll show you ranges for all the has marks/mil dots (or bubbles that Nikon uses) and you're good to go.

i have a Vx1 with a generic BDC on it thats home on my 450 and with good data its worked fantastic.

just like my other BDC's in my vortex optics work with the various calibers i have them on :)
plant_one

Postby Smokinbubba » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Just added Strelok to my arsenal. I think I am going to like playing with this since Nikon no longer makes my favorite. Thx for the tip!!
Smokinbubba

Postby Eebeorary » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:46 pm

Dang l never looked at original post date

Edited by Moderator. Deleted the first post before I saw this one because I felt that you were just linking viewers to another web page, which is frowned upon. Some interlopers only stop here to do that, with no interest in the caliber.

That having been said, welcome aboard!

A thing about good (read not cheap) scopes is their repeatability and reliability to hold up to recoil impulse over time. Never mind the power or how big the objective may be. If the adjustments interact or jump around, that can be frustrating getting them initially zeroed. I know because I've owned a few way back when. Take heart in the fact that there are, or at least were mid-priced scopes that gave the high priced ones a run for their money, despite not having top of the line names. I got turned onto them from reading Chuck Hawks reviews. Also, a good quality, used scope can be often offer a price break over new that allows you to pick a better brand and model. I've done well that way over the years.

Hoot
Eebeorary

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster