What Scope are you guys using on your rifle

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

What Scope are you guys using on your rifle

Postby Goochylogic » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:26 pm

Hello guys, haven’t seen much discussion on scopes used and why you use your particular one.
I have an Arken SH-4 4-16x50 on my 450 ar. I prefer a 1st focal plane on a gun that has the bullet drop like the 450. If I do my part and all of the moons line up, I can put the round pretty accurately on paper to 300yrds where I aim. Just starting a discussion. Thanks
Goochylogic

Re: What Scope are you guys using on your rifle

Postby coyote wacker » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:28 am

I've been shooting the 450 BM since around 2009 have had and have several during that time pretty much have stuck to one brand Nikon but have a couple with Trijicons 1.25-4 power for bear hunting ....as far as power 3-9 is all that is needed for a gun where 300 yards is about its limit....just don't see any use for a 4-16 power scope on a 300 yard maximum rifle and I've passed on many shots at Trophy Bucks past 300 yards just not worth wounding a Buck or loosing it going off the property ....
coyote wacker

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:14 pm

Nikon Monarch 3-9x42 (I think) maybe 3-9x50. Too lazy to go look.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dantiff3 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:49 am

I started off with a straight 4x on mine for a while. This left too much question and wondering how well the rifle would actually group with quality reloads, so I swapped over to my 16x super sniper to do some load workup. Results were outstanding both sub and supersonic and I had gotten the answers that I was looking for. Once I nailed down all of my tinkering, I knew my intended purpose for this rifle was for PA woods whitetail hunting. Now, it's outfitted with a nice Primary Arms 2x red dot optic. I can dial the dot down to a really small aim point and still shoot good groups out to about 150 yards with good results. This is subsonic and suppressed. Great little package for walking about in the woods.
Dan
dantiff3

Postby Goochylogic » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:31 pm

Sorry guys for not getting back sooner. Life has been a little busy. I use to have lower power scopes on everything I owned and they served me well for hunting. But when I joined a local range a bunch of yrs ago I wanted to shoot with and like some of the guys there. So I started kicking the power range up a bit, and maybe a little too far in some cases. But I really like looking a a buck blinking his eyes at me when he knows he is out of my guns range. Until I master this caliber a little better, I’m limiting my hunting to the 200yrd or so distance.
Goochylogic

Postby Blm1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:09 am

I recently changed to a Vortex Hog Hunter 3x12x56 and I think it’s perfect for deer hunting. It has a 30mm tube and a 56mm objective that really gathers light well for those early morning and late evening low light conditions in the woods. Plus, it has an illuminated red center dot in the reticle that just makes it better yet.
Blm1

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster