Dummy gas block

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Dummy gas block

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:32 am

Remove muzzle device, (Izzy or brake), find an Allen/hex head wrench to fit the set screws, loosen them up and slowly wiggle the block off, taking care not to scratch the barrel. That's it. Newer blocks may have lock tite but mine didn't.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Colohunter » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am

When I'm installing/removing a gas block I like to oil up the barrel in front of the gas block. I think it helps a little with reducing the scratching.
Colohunter

Postby rugersr556 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:14 pm

I live in new york and were not allowed flash suppresors. i was going to install a ross brake but decided against it because i would have to have it installed permanetly (welded or pinned so as not to be removable). when i removed my gas blocks i found both of them to be quite loose (removed so i could take barrel to gunsmith and have threaded end cut off and barrel recrowned). a little odd i thought since i have not shot this upper yet. just a heads up that u might want to check your gas block. my dummy gas block was so loose it could almost be removed by hand if not for the 2 dimples in barrel for the set screws too land in.
Last edited by rugersr556 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A paranoid is a guy who knows a little of what's going on. A psychotic is a guy who just found out what's going on."
William S. Burroughs
rugersr556

Postby Hoot » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:02 pm

dvrod18 wrote:How hard was it to remove? I assume you have to remove the flashider but what else is involved?

I just unscrewed the flashhider, loosened the set screws, felt how tight it was, warmed it with a heat gun just enough that it was not impossible to hold with my hand, applied and allowed some penetrating oil to draw up under it through capillary action (wasn't really necessary) and rotated it back and forth about 1/8 turn while pulling toward the muzzle and it came offin short order. No scrapes, no chaffes, no big deal. I never did put the Izzy back on as I had a real muzzle brake already at hand. The faux gas block was a welcome harvest a year later when I got my 6.5 Grendel barrel and needed one.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Wasnt it Jeep Jeep that welded on a Ross Brake? He's up there in NY.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 9x19MdM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Wasnt it Jeep Jeep that welded on a Ross Brake? He's up there in NY.

Yes, it was.
9x19MdM

Postby dvrod18 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I too am looking into the Grendel, so I may just have a use for that gas block after all.
dvrod18

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 am

dvrod18 wrote:Thanks for the input guys, I too am looking into the Grendel, so I may just have a use for that gas block after all.

Oh boy! You're gonna have a smile when you play with a Grendel!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gunnut » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:50 am

I can see it now.. Special! Buy a 20" upper and get a free gas block!!
gunnut

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster