Optics Destruction

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Optics Destruction

Postby Kloned » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Ok, so im sure everyone with any large caliber hard hitting weapon has decimated a scope before. What kinda recoil does this beast give in regards to scope function. I tend to lean more to fixed power ncstar scopes. i love the p4 sniper reticle they have, and the built in laser on the side is tactiawesome. that and im too poor to buy trijicon or leopold. so, anyone destroy lower end scopes with this thing yet? from what i hear its more of a thump back then a recoil like you would get with a high velocity large caliber weapon, 338 lapua mag, .50bmg, .408 cheytac, etc...
Kloned

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby thatguy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 pm

From everything I read, a shotgun/muzzleloader designed scope will work good with the 450B.. To my understanding the shotgun/muzzleloader scopes are designed to take more recoil than regular scopes..

Could be all marketing but I bought it..

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 am

thatguy wrote:From everything I read, a shotgun/muzzleloader designed scope will work good with the 450B.. To my understanding the shotgun/muzzleloader scopes are designed to take more recoil than regular scopes..

Could be all marketing but I bought it..

brian

Yes, but watch the parallax. The scopes you mention are often parallaxed for 50-75 yds., where-as rifle scopes, of the fixed power persuasion, are often parallaxed for 150yds. If you want good, and cheap to boot, try the scopes the spring gun guys use. Those pellet guns are the worst for wear on scopes, that suffer mightily from their recoil impulses, far beyond what these gas guns of ours produce, and they make some of them with adjustable parallax knobs. I have a buddy that bought a Leapers Tactical, which is designed primarily for spring guns, with Mill Dots, adjustable parallax and all the bells and whistles, he swears by it and I think he only paid about $60 bucks..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Kloned » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:53 am

no parallax adjustment on this scope, and i can see from 5 feet to infinity with it. just like the one nice scope i have, leopold mark ar. guess ill try it out and see if i dont blow it up :D
Kloned

Postby HillBilly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:03 am

Preset parallax at a shorter yardage is the only diff between rifle and shotgun/frontstuffer scopes. Wildcatter is spot on with the airgun scopes, They are tuffer than nails. The biggest destroyer of optics that I have found over the last half million rounds or so is mercury recoil reducers put in stocks of big bolt rifles. Watched a 8.5 lb 470 capstick destroy a 3k piece of glass a few years back... Made me cringe... After many letdowns I have stuck with Leupold and Burris (US MADE ONLY) riflescopes and have not been let down since. A good friend of mine just lost a "cheaper AR scope" on a moose hunt a few weeks back... Hes a gunwriter and has did a story on the 450 a few years back... He loved it, picked up one for himself and put a $75 optic on it and if it were not for having backup the moose hunt may have been a wash...
If you build it they will come, If I build it... I'll take the damn thing home!
HillBilly

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Hawke and Nikko Stirling are very good airgun scopes. An airgun friend turned me onto them. I originally used a NCStar rubber armored 3-9 compact and it never lost zero.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:45 am

Wildcatter is all wise as usual, a shotgun or muzzleloader scope has a preset parallax of 75 yards compared to 150 for rifle scopes. The recoil has nothing to do with it. Shotgun or muzzleloader scopes may also have bullet drop compensators geared more for their performance, example the Leupold Ultimateslam. Most well built scopes can handle plenty of recoil. To me the most important fact for a scope for the 450 is the eye relief. Like another poster I find the Leapers to be a nice little in-expensive scope. I have one to plink with my .223 upper, but I found the eye relief was not comfortable for the 450 and my brow got hit a few times. For know I am borrowing my VX-1 shotgun/muzzleloader scope from my T/C Triumph, I plan to buy another VX-III when I have the money. I currently use a VX-III on my .338 WM and it handles the recoild fine, and has great eye relief. It's Leupold so it can take it, and if it did get damaged Leupold will repair it, the same with any quality brand. If you buy cheap you get cheap.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby ryr8828 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 am

I put a Burris 2-7x35 fullfield II on my .450. Sighted it in at 50 yards. It works very well.
ryr8828

Postby the_mad_rshn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 pm

I have a cheap NCstar pistol scope on mine. My gun is setup in the scout way. I had a couple hundred rounds through it so far and the scope is holding very well. I used to hang out on the Marlinowners.com forum and I can tell you that pritty much any good scope will hold well on the 45-70, so the 450 is not a problem at all. Give it a go and you will see that I am right.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Osprey makes some nice scopes as well. I have one on my LR-308 AP4 and love it. I also have their reflex site on my shotgun. Dropped really hard on it once ad never lost zero. They all carry a lifetime guarantee as well iirc.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster