Optics Destruction

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby BD1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:32 am

I don't know what range was optimized for paralax on my Leupy Ultimate slam. I do know that it hasn't been an issue from the bench to 300 yards, and as the scope has BDC points out to 250 yards, it seems unlikely they'd have set it at 75 yards.
BD
BD1
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby xxInfidelxx » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 pm

I have the Bushnell 3-9 3200 "Bone Collector"(Was on clearance At Midway, now it's not?) muzzle loader scope in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. Initially had it in the standard Burris tactical mounts but couldn't get the scope far enough forward. Has A LOT of eye relief! It's perfect in the P.E.P.R. mount though. Haven't used the DOA reticle, since I haven't shot it past 100 yards. May try to get out this weekend to test it out to 300 which may be stretching it's legs a bit but what the hell. Any idea what the hold over should be if I'm zeroed at 100 yards?
xxInfidelxx
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby lucasphi20 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:55 pm

BD1 wrote:I don't know what range was optimized for paralax on my Leupy Ultimate slam. I do know that it hasn't been an issue from the bench to 300 yards, and as the scope has BDC points out to 250 yards, it seems unlikely they'd have set it at 75 yards.
BD


According to Leupold for non Adjustable Objective or long range scopes the factory parallax setting is:
Rifle: 150 yards
Pistol: 100 yards
Shotgun/Muzzleloader: 75 yards
Rimfire: 60 yards

Just because the parallax is 75 yards doesn't mean you can't shoot farther than that. My VX-1 shotgun/muzzleloader scope has the 75 parallax and I easily shoot to 200 yards. I am just pointing out that a muzzleloader scope doesn't mean higher recoil protection. My 338WM recoils much harder then the 450BM and the VX-III I have withstands it just fine.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
User avatar
lucasphi20
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 am

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby lucasphi20 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:14 am

xxInfidelxx wrote:I have the Bushnell 3-9 3200 "Bone Collector"(Was on clearance At Midway, now it's not?) muzzle loader scope in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. Initially had it in the standard Burris tactical mounts but couldn't get the scope far enough forward. Has A LOT of eye relief! It's perfect in the P.E.P.R. mount though. Haven't used the DOA reticle, since I haven't shot it past 100 yards. May try to get out this weekend to test it out to 300 which may be stretching it's legs a bit but what the hell. Any idea what the hold over should be if I'm zeroed at 100 yards?



I zeroed mine at 100 yards with factory Hornady ammo and at 200 yards I shot one of those full size deer targets. I put the crosshairs on the top of the back and all bullets hit right in the lung area.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
User avatar
lucasphi20
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 am

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 am

Some time back, there was a TV show that addressed the "Optics Destruction" question. I have no idea what show it was, but the basic idea was this:

Imagine the firing impulse as a pressure wave, similar to the visual that movies show when the A-bomb goes off, and that pressure wave is heading toward your house. If you've braced your house in the wrong direction, your walls will easily be blown down.

It is typical for spring air guns to have that impulse pressure wave come from the objective end of the scope, not from the ocular end like rifles. Since the "bracing" on rifle scopes is set up to withstand an ocular end pressure wave, they tend to break when used on spring air guns.

Similarly, and for the same reasoning, spring air gun scopes may break when used on rifles. Although it looks to me as if manufacturers are heading toward making scopes that withstand pretty much everything, I believe they are just not quite there yet.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
User avatar
BillytheKid
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:51 pm
Location: California

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby xxInfidelxx » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:50 am

lucasphi20 wrote:
xxInfidelxx wrote:I have the Bushnell 3-9 3200 "Bone Collector"(Was on clearance At Midway, now it's not?) muzzle loader scope in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. Initially had it in the standard Burris tactical mounts but couldn't get the scope far enough forward. Has A LOT of eye relief! It's perfect in the P.E.P.R. mount though. Haven't used the DOA reticle, since I haven't shot it past 100 yards. May try to get out this weekend to test it out to 300 which may be stretching it's legs a bit but what the hell. Any idea what the hold over should be if I'm zeroed at 100 yards?



I zeroed mine at 100 yards with factory Hornady ammo and at 200 yards I shot one of those full size deer targets. I put the crosshairs on the top of the back and all bullets hit right in the lung area.


Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have some extra osb in my shed and was planning on making a deer silhouette for practice.
xxInfidelxx
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Optics Destruction

Postby artalon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 pm

I had a bsa contender on a Maddi Griffin, it lasted a long time until I had to see how the recoil was without the break...
I wont do that again :cry:
MOLON LABE
User avatar
artalon
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: North Central Montana

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests