Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

BD1 wrote:I have a 4-16 SF Monarch on my 5.56 AR, and it's a good scope for precision work, and the BDC reticule on that scope is a very close match to the 77 grainers at 2750fps that I'm using in that rifle. That setup takes me out to 500 yards with confidence. However, I think a much better value for the .450B would be the Leupy Ultimate Slam, or Nikon Omega, either of which provides a BDC reticule closely matched to the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps. If you haven't tried a BDC reticule that really matches your load, you're in for a treat :) Either of these will get you out to 250 yards with good loads, and 300 yards with some practice. Play with that for awhile and the shots at 100 and under will take care of themselves. I've never shot through the Omega, but I like the circles on the reticule of the Monarch better than the black dots on the Ultimate slam. The Ultimate Slam uses the top of the thick portion of the lower post as the 300 yard hold point which completely obscures the "dot and circle" center of the targets I use, but I don't think it would be much of an issue on game. I'm not sure if the Omega gives you a hold point for 300 or not. Anyone using one?
BD

BD, what twist you using for those 77gr pills?
Al in Mi

Postby BD1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am

Siringo,

I've only ever put one box of factory stuff down range through my rifle and it shot consistently low and a little left of my handloads at 100 and 200 yards using the hold points on the ultimate slam. This would lead me to believe that I could adjust the scope to use it just as well as I can my handloads. The key is the same velocity using the same bullet. If the ammo runs a little slower out of your particular barrel, just adjust the scope to account for that variation. You're not gonna fall of the curve inside of 300 yards over a hundred fps.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby BD1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 am

AL, my .22 AR is my old bushy DCM with the heavy 8 twist barrel under the free floated military look a-like handguard. I flat topped it this summer after finally giving up any further high power aspirations at age 56, wearing tri-focals.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby longnkrnch » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Where does nikon specify the 250grn bullet at 2200fps for the Omega? I cannot find it on their website.
longnkrnch

Postby bigboreshooter » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:19 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Where does nikon specify the 250grn bullet at 2200fps for the Omega? I cannot find it on their website.

Down load the spot on app to ur phone. It shows it on my android phone they call it the 250gr SST W/FTT. Remember to measure your scopes distance from bore and adjust the software. Also check other variables to make sure you have accurate data. I also downloaded an altitude app and convert pad app.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:40 am

Or you could get this - http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html. It has the BM 450 .452 250 gr FTX data in it.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster