Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 am

artalon wrote:forget finger cots electrical tape over muzzle and a wrap around gto and no embarrassing questions

You guys crack me up with your hangups on finger cots!!
Look folks, it's as easy as cutting the fingers off a surgical glove!
And you can buy a box of those in BLACK! I know a tattoo artist that
Uses the black gloves and I think you can find them at Gallsinc.com.
Cops and tactical/SWAT may even be able to tell ya where to find them.
The gun gurus I hang with would probably not make too big a deal out of it
if they saw one on my weapons, and if they did, I would just say
"Don't be silly, wrap your Izzy!"
And now my optics thread has been highjacked by the embarrassing
Topic of condoms for fingers! ROTFL!!
So let's get back to optics and I will start a topic later this
Morning on muzzle guards.
UPDATE: Go to my thread "Protect that muzzle"
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Siringo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:38 am

OK -- scopes -- anyone use the new Millet 1 x 4 illuminated. I like the concept of a red dot in lieu of the typical cross hair. I want to be able to pick up the dot very, very quickly unobtrusively. Meaning both eyes open -- assuming at 1 power. A 3 x 9 is not a good choice where I hunt -- others it may be just fine, but for me, I do a lot of walking and stalking in brushy areas. I even have a 2 x 7 on another rifle, but 1 power on the bottom end is really becoming a must -- for me.
Siringo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 am

Siringo wrote:OK -- scopes -- anyone use the new Millet 1 x 4 illuminated. I like the concept of a red dot in lieu of the typical cross hair. I want to be able to pick up the dot very, very quickly unobtrusively. Meaning both eyes open -- assuming at 1 power. A 3 x 9 is not a good choice where I hunt -- others it may be just fine, but for me, I do a lot of walking and stalking in brushy areas. I even have a 2 x 7 on another rifle, but 1 power on the bottom end is really becoming a must -- for me.

Hunting hogs, what you are looking for would be ideal.
I would love to have a scope that had a red dot on a pressure switch. That way, I could activate it and not leave it on all
the time. I would probably forget about it, run the battery dead, then when I needed it I would be SNAFU.
If the EOTEKs and ACOGs weren't so darn expensive...
But I am still flustered with what I want. I put an older Simmons 3X9X40mm scope on the 450 last weekend, but I am
not happy with it. I am just trying out all types of scopes I have laying around to get some idea. I tried a red dot,
but the 30mm feels too small, (FOV), and the dot moves around and cannot be seen well in bright sunlight.
I am still looking. I am going to go to Cheaper than dirt and take about two hours and look at every one of the
scopes they have in stock that I can afford. I hope I get that manager who was trying to bribe me into buying
a Remington 450 Bushmaster in order for him to start carrying the ammo... I may just take three hours and ask
a crap load of questions....just to burn his time.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jailer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 pm

I've got a Nikon Omega with the BDC reticle. It's perfect for a 20 inch but a little off for my 16 inch carbine. It has held zero through about a hundred rounds or so and is very clear and bright. Plus with 5 inches of eye relief you don't have to worry about "scope eye" from the recoil. :mrgreen:
Jailer

Postby rokdog013 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:08 pm

2zero6 wrote: I have an Eotech 557 and flip to side 4x magnifier that works great on my M4! only thing I wish it has is a remote pressure switch. I think that why I like the Aimpoint comp m4 as I could just leave it on since they have an insane battery life.

How much Did this setup cost you though? I was thinking of a compact Halo sight so I could have backup iron sights, but all the magnifiers I have seen cost more than the Leupold scope I mentioned.
rokdog013

Postby rokdog013 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Jailer wrote:I've got a Nikon Omega with the BDC reticle. It's perfect for a 20 inch but a little off for my 16 inch carbine. It has held zero through about a hundred rounds or so and is very clear and bright. Plus with 5 inches of eye relief you don't have to worry about "scope eye" from the recoil. :mrgreen:

How do you mean a little off for the 16" ?
I am going to get the 16" camo.
rokdog013

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Jailer wrote:I've got a Nikon Omega with the BDC reticle. It's perfect for a 20 inch but a little off for my 16 inch carbine. It has held zero through about a hundred rounds or so and is very clear and bright. Plus with 5 inches of eye relief you don't have to worry about "scope eye" from the recoil. :mrgreen:

Exactly which Omega scope by Nikon, did you get? What power/objective? I really like Nikons and want to look at the one you mentioned?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby johnbearross » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Leupold is coming out with a line of variable power red dot scopes (VX-R series). 30mm tubes. I'm wondering if the reticles are vertically- strung ballistic dots?

They have a 1.25-4x20 for $439 at SWFA

No pics yet, but here's descriptions and prices...
http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-R-Riflescopes-C3458.aspx

Best,
JBR
johnbearross

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:15 pm

johnbearross wrote:Leupold is coming out with a line of variable power red dot scopes (VX-R series). 30mm tubes. I'm wondering if the reticles are vertically- strung ballistic dots?

They have a 1.25-4x20 for $439 at SWFA

No pics yet, but here's descriptions and prices...
http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-R-Riflescopes-C3458.aspx

Best,
JBR

Like some of the Eotech's? That would be pretty cool but I wonder how they would match up with our drop rate.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Jailer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:13 pm

rokdog013 wrote:

How do you mean a little off for the 16" ?
I am going to get the 16" camo.

The BDC reticle on the Omega is for a 250 grain projectile at 2200 FPS. The 450B pushes 2200 out of a 20 inch but not the 16. You lose a little velocity with the carbine and the trajectory is different. Basically I found that the 250 yard circle on the BDC was dead on at 225 with my 16 inch.

I got the 3-9x40 from optics Planet.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-omega-muzzleloading-3-9x40-riflescope.html
Jailer

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster