Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I finally got to sight in my Nikko Stirling on my 450 and so far, I
really like it. It's shooting about 3 inches high at 75 yards but the
Groups are within 3/4". A few days ago we had another family
Git-down on my range and I obliterated two milk jugs full of
Water. I'm just wondering at 3" high at 75 yards, where would that
Put the bullet at 100/150/200/250 yards? Does anyone have
Data or a good guesstament?
On a bad note, the BSA that I got for the Ruger PC9 is not
Going to work out. The eye relief is too much. But I got a
gift card for my birthday last week so I ran down to
Cheaper than Dirt and picked up a holographic sight
For the PC9 and so far, I luv it! I'm going to sell the
BSA.

From handloads.com free online ballistic calculator
Yep. They are factory rounds.
Wow. So that 3 inches puts me dead on at 200?
I can live with that. Thanx Hoot!!

Assuming you are talking about the Hornady factory load, since you didn't say otherwise.

Hoot
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Archie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 pm

I, too, love my Leupold Ultimate Slam. It is a sweet scope, and it takes a beating from my 12 ga shooting 3" mags.

I also have had good luck with my Simmons scopes - I own several and they have not let me down. They are a very nice scope for the price, though they are not as good as a Leupold. Leupold also owns Redfield now, so I suspect that is pretty good budget glass at this point as well, but have not bought any.

I know I am about to spend your money more freely than you may wish, but I have been using Trijicons with MUCH success lately, and I LOVE them more than even my Leupolds. I think they are higher quality, and would buy the Trijicons over the Leupys any day. In either case, the lifetime warranty is pretty hard to beat, and you will not have to buy another for that gun. Be prepared to spend some money, but you will never regret it! If you night hunt this is the ONLY way to go.
Archie

Postby lucasphi20 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:47 am

After "borrowing" my Leupold VX-I shotgun scope from my SBE turkey setup this year, I can finally stop swaping scopes. Now my 450BM has it's very own Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x 36mm scope. The eye relief is awesome and as usual for Leupold VX-III the optics are super clear and bright. I have it mounted on Burris Signature medium height rings and a Promag Aluminum Scope Riser.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby Siringo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:45 am

When I get some $$$$$ this year -- I am getting the new Leupold VX-R series. Traditional variable, but with a Red Dot that you can turn on and off. I looked at a 1.25 x 4 with a fire dot and a heavy German Style Reticle. These have 30 mm tubes. Good field of view. BUT a little pricey.

The even have something called a "pig plex".
www.theriflescopestore.com/levxsc2.html
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:50 pm

lucasphi20 wrote:After "borrowing" my Leupold VX-I shotgun scope from my SBE turkey setup this year, I can finally stop swaping scopes. Now my 450BM has it's very own Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x 36mm scope. The eye relief is awesome and as usual for Leupold VX-III the optics are super clear and bright. I have it mounted on Burris Signature medium height rings and a Promag Aluminum Scope Riser.

Nice scope!

How come you put your rings so close together? The wider the stance, the less the impact of small manufacturing tolerance errors and the more stable the setup.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

I would think that for the 450 you would want to stay away from tactical scopes, especially those with a fixed magnification (1x) and small barrel (30mm for example) or reflex scopes. The 450 is intended as a longer range rifle than the 5.56, and I would think that you would want at least a 3-9 @ 40 or 50mm to take advantage of the rifle's range and the light gathering ability of the scope.

I am shooting a Barska® 4 - 12x42 mm Ridgeline Illuminated Reticle Rifle Scope from Sportsman's Guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=692173. It is relatively inexpensive, but so far has not given me any problems (60 rounds). I did find that I had to add a mid height (7/8") riser (Leapers UTG Deluxe Medium Profile from Midway) to the rail on top of the rifle to get the scope up high enough. I sighted it in at 100 yds.

I also have a Leopold Mark IV CQ/T, which is 1-3x14mm. I sighted this in for 50yds for my 5.56, but I don't consider it a good match for the 450's capabilities.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby ryr8828 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I would think that for the 450 you would want to stay away from tactical scopes, especially those with a fixed magnification (1x) and small barrel (30mm for example) or reflex scopes. The 450 is intended as a longer range rifle than the 5.56, and I would think that you would want at least a 3-9 @ 40 or 50mm to take advantage of the rifle's range and the light gathering ability of the scope.

I am shooting a Barska® 4 - 12x42 mm Ridgeline Illuminated Reticle Rifle Scope from Sportsman's Guide http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=692173. It is relatively inexpensive, but so far has not given me any problems (60 rounds). I did find that I had to add a mid height (7/8") riser (Leapers UTG Deluxe Medium Profile from Midway) to the rail on top of the rifle to get the scope up high enough. I sighted it in at 100 yds.

I also have a Leopold Mark IV CQ/T, which is 1-3x14mm. I sighted this in for 50yds for my 5.56, but I don't consider it a good match for the 450's capabilities.

I never thought of the .450 as a long range cartridge. The 250 grain bullet is only going 1200+fps at 300 yards.
ryr8828

Postby FirstNation » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 pm

IMO, the .223 easily has an effective range at least 3 times further than the .450.
FirstNation

Postby lucasphi20 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Hoot wrote:
lucasphi20 wrote:After "borrowing" my Leupold VX-I shotgun scope from my SBE turkey setup this year, I can finally stop swaping scopes. Now my 450BM has it's very own Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x 36mm scope. The eye relief is awesome and as usual for Leupold VX-III the optics are super clear and bright. I have it mounted on Burris Signature medium height rings and a Promag Aluminum Scope Riser.

Nice scope!

How come you put your rings so close together? The wider the stance, the less the impact of small manufacturing tolerance errors and the more stable the setup.

Hoot

Hey Hoot,
Thanks for noticing the rings, I have to reposition still and put in my Burris Posi Align inserts. The rings ended up like that as I adjusted the scope for the proper eye relief, I have to reposition the riser once more too.
“If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.”
General George S. Patton Jr., USA
lucasphi20

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Interesting point about the range of the 450 versus theh 5.56 / 223. When I said long range, I was thinking of an effective hunting range. My thought was that a range above 300 yards was about as far away from a deer as you would want to be. I doubt the 55 or 62 gr 223 would have enough mass to take down a deer-sized animal at that range (or even closer, which is why they are not used in deer hunting), even if it was going faster than a 250 gr 450. Since Energy is 1/2 the mass times the velocity, at 300 yards, the 223 would have to be going 5 times faster. Whether or not the 450 would be enough at 300 yards, despite its mass, is something I don't know. Yes, due to its lighter weight bullet and higher muzzle velocity, the 223 probably has a longer range on a target.

My observation was also that the 5.56 / 223 is well suited for tactical situations at close quarters. Multiple shot sequences are possible with the rifle in a less than optimum shooting position and at closes quarters (under 25 yards) you could probably put all the rounds center mass. Try shooting a mutiple shot string while moving to cover with a 450 and i doubt that you would be satisfied with the results. Of course, you might only need one hit.

Any discussion on the effectiveness of the two rounds at range?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster