Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Postby Hoot » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
I noticed that it is mentioned in the threads that the Nikko scope
Is described as a 30mm tube but midway describes it as a 1" scope.
Which is it?

They're available in both 1 inch and 30mm, but the 1.6-6 is strictly 1 inch.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby xxInfidelxx » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 pm

FYI in case you're looking for a good inexpensive red dot. Primary Arms has their M3 clone on sale for $49. Has great reviews on the AR15 forum. I already have a bushnell on the Bushy but may get one for my 5.56 upper I just got.
http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=18&categoryId=5
xxInfidelxx

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 am

xxInfidelxx wrote:FYI in case you're looking for a good inexpensive red dot. Primary Arms has their M3 clone on sale for $49. Has great reviews on the AR15 forum. I already have a bushnell on the Bushy but may get one for my 5.56 upper I just got.
http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=18&categoryId=5

I checked it out from your link a few days ago, looks like it is back up to 69.00. But yeah, thats still a good price.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:06 am

pitted bore wrote:Is the Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 1.5-6x scope an answer to any of the questions posed here?

A couple of forum members have written kindly of it, including wildcatter in January 2010: Link to thread

Midway has it in stock for $100. I'm not sure if there are other vendors in the USA for this model.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=533230

--Bob

I ordered the Nikko Stirling scope today along with a BSA
Pistol scope for my Ruger PC9.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby En4cr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I was looking at a Bushnell Trophy red dot sight this afternoon...Has anyone used this on their 450B?
En4cr

Postby drycreek » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:52 am

Any comments on the Nikon 3x9x40 shotgun scope? It should handle the recoil and according to Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program the reticle circles should be pretty useable.
drycreek

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:47 pm

My scopes came in today!! I mounted the BSA on the Ruger PC9 and its okay. Not too keen about the eye relief though. May have to play around with that. But I mounted the Nikko Stirling on my 450B and bore sighted it in. Now I gotta wait for the firing range to dry out enuff to go out and play.
BTW, I made my first two kills with my night vision scope tonight on my AR 5.56. I would show you pictures, but there wasnt much left of the cotton tails. :oops: I tried to head shoot them but the hits were too low and the bunnies just exploded....I was ticked, cuz I was looking forward to some fried wabbits.
Now they are just dust bunnies. :roll:
:x Damn.
PS But the dogs didn't care. They munched out on what was left.
I won't be doing that again. I felt pretty bad about not eating them myself.
Last edited by Texas Sheepdawg on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:26 pm

My Nikko Stirling 1.5 X 6 X 36 Nighteater Scope
mounted on my 450 Bushmaster

The Zebra Stripes make her sexy....
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm

drycreek wrote:Any comments on the Nikon 3x9x40 shotgun scope? It should handle the recoil and according to Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program the reticle circles should be pretty useable.

Not sure about that scope, but the shotgun scopes, good as they are, are not parallaxed for usable ranges much past 50 yds and a 200 yd kill is just no-thing for the 450b. With a 50 parallax and changing spot welds, the groups at 200yds, which should normally be about 3" +-, usually less than three inches, will range to much larger than 6", at that range.

When I had a defective, very expensive scope, which was parallaxed to 50yds (it was supposed to be set to 150yds), I couldn't keep the groups under 10", at 200yds. After they replaced the scope with an adjustable parallax system, groups became very normal indeed..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BlackJack » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:44 pm

For those interested in the Nikon Omega (myself included!),the Nikon site has a ballistic download that allows you to dial in your bullet style and weight and velocity,as well as the yardage that you zero and plot the distances that correspond to the circles on the BDC reticle. I was surprised how you can change things all the way out to 250 yds and still be virtually at point of aim at 25-100
yds using this software. I have a 16" barrel also,but am a handloader,so it will be an interesting challenge using this software to plot loads that will directly correspond to the circles on the BDC. This is my first post,and I glad to have found you guys. Everyone seems very considerate and helpful, and hopefully I can add some things that may be beneficial as well. I am looking at the Omega 1.6-5x36 with Warne QR AR-15 high (.935) rings. I really like the 100 yd parallax setting and 5" eye relief.
BlackJack

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster