Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optics considerations for the 450 Bushmaster?

Postby rokdog013 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 pm

after reading alot of posts I realize my knowledge is vastly inadequate. But, I realize I have a huge amount of information to play with now and am happy!
anyway, wanted some opinions on my scope choice.
I am planning on having a .450 Bushmaster paid off by January and after looking at junk and priceless scopes I'd have to rob a bank to afford I think I've found one that will work for me and want to know what you peoples think.
Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm
I was thinking a red dot and flip up sights at first, but all the compact units I'd like to own, like the EOTECH are so price restrictive its hard to sacrifice that much cash with the wife giving me "that look".
I surfed the ACOG... all I can say is... WOW.
So, the Leupold is a well made scope. I doubt there is anybody who would argue that. I'd have to forego a quick release and flip up sights, but I'd bet the scope is durable enough that I'd probably never have to resort to it.
But, I'm guessing.
Any information or opinions good or bad will be appreciated.
rokdog013

Postby artalon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 am

natchez has a couple holo sights on sale, ones a bsa for about 30 something, my brother has one on a shorty, works great, I have an eotech for mine, expensive yes but nice
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby rokdog013 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:54 pm

how effective is an Eotech out to 200 yards? I see the magnifier's for them are $300. i dont want to spend more on the sighting system than I do the gun.
rokdog013

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:24 pm

rokdog013 wrote:how effective is an Eotech out to 200 yards? I see the magnifier's for them are $300. i dont want to spend more on the sighting system than I do the gun.

I have an Eotech 557 and flip to side 4x magnifier that works great on my M4! only thing I wish it has is a remote pressure switch. I think that why I like the Aimpoint comp m4 as I could just leave it on since they have an insane battery life.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby En4cr » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 pm

How about the Millet DMS?
En4cr

Postby artalon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:25 am

couldnt tell you about 200 yards about 50 is great
a pressure switch would be awesome
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby Siringo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I will add with my experience over the last couple of days here in MN hunting. We got a load of snow 50 miles north of Duluth (where I hunt). Heavy wet stuff hanging from pines, brush, you name it.

I cursed my muzzle break (filled up with snow -- need finger cots)
I cursed the sling swivel attachment on the barrel mount (that push button type -- they freeze and you can not release them)
I cursed the laser on had on the barrel mount (one of those laser max's that you are not supposed to use for hunting) -- useless, but does show you where all the brush is!
I cursed my scope caps that broke when going thru the brush - oh well
I cursed my scope lens that fogged up despite the lens caps - My a Bushnell with rain guard might be the ticket
I cursed my JP Point that I had mounted on top of my scope after I lost the cover in the snowy brush - snow obscures the lens and the little diode.

I should have stayed in bed!!!!!!

Well, this is mostly tongue and cheek -- as it was not the best weather to hunt in -- but the extreme conditions got me wondering again about the scope. Generally, this type of weather is what iron sighted Winchester 30-30's are made for, but I really want a scope that is 1 x 4 with a lighted dot in the center. That Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T looks very, very good. Now I just need money.
Siringo

Postby bushmeister » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Siringo wrote:I will add with my experience over the last couple of days here in MN hunting. We got a load of snow 50 miles north of Duluth (where I hunt). Heavy wet stuff hanging from pines, brush, you name it.

I cursed my muzzle break (filled up with snow -- need finger cots)
I cursed the sling swivel attachment on the barrel mount (that push button type -- they freeze and you can not release them)
I cursed the laser on had on the barrel mount (one of those laser max's that you are not supposed to use for hunting) -- useless, but does show you where all the brush is!
I cursed my scope lens that fogged up despite the lens caps - My a Bushnell with rain guard might be the ticket
I cursed my JP Point that I had mounted on top of my scope after I lost the cover in the snowy brush - snow obscures the lens and the little diode.

Well, this is mostly tongue and cheek -- as it was not the best weather to hunt in -- but the extreme conditions got me wondering again about the scope. Generally, this type of weather is what iron sighted Winchester 30-30's are made for, but I really want a scope that is 1 x 4 with a lighted dot in the center. That Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T looks very, very good. Now I just need money.

I've been there (with rain rather than snow) I am a big fan of a true fog proof scope (not just internally fogproof) and Butler Creek flip up scope covers. I'm working on the finger cots, but I'm still too embarassed to go to the pharmacy and ask for them. :oops:
bushmeister

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:52 pm

Siringo wrote:I cursed my muzzle break (filled up with snow -- need finger cots)

LMAO!! I gotta agree with the finger cot's though :lol:

Siringo wrote:Well, this is mostly tongue and cheek -- as it was not the best weather to hunt in -- but the extreme conditions got me wondering again about the scope. Generally, this type of weather is what iron sighted Winchester 30-30's are made for, but I really want a scope that is 1 x 4 with a lighted dot in the center. That Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T looks very, very good. Now I just need money.

Yeah, I have really been attracted to some of the Trijicon 1x to low power stuff lately but they want an arm and a leg for their stuff!

bushmeister wrote:I'm working on the finger cots, but I'm still too embarassed to go to the pharmacy and ask for them. :oops:

Yeah I think people buy them when they use suppositories. nothing like the "Thumper hemorrhoids " :lol:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby artalon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:39 pm

forget finger cots electrical tape over muzzle and a wrap around gto and no embarrassing questions
MOLON LABE
artalon

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster