Scope mount for 450

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope mount for 450

Postby aptrpl6 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:36 pm

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-mar ... mount.html I'm thinking of using this setup to scope my 450. My only concern is that there are only 2 screws per ring, however they are torx screws. I'm looking for opinions as to whether or not this mount would hold up to the 450's recoil.
aptrpl6

Re: Scope mount for 450

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:47 pm

This should not be a problem. I would be more concerned about the two screws that hold the scope mount to the rail. On my 450 I installed a riser on the rail to which I attached my rings. I needed to locktite those screws in (BLUE loctite - the kind you can undo). Since doing that, I haven't had any problems with the riser loosening from the rail.

I have never had a scope come loose from the rings because the screws let go, but I suppose if this is a concern a little BLUE loctite can be applied here, too.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby aptrpl6 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I thought about it too. The screws that mount to the rail are also torx, so that should help. I'd probably use a little bit of blue loctite on each screw for insurance. I have other options for mounting, but I have been leaning toward this one since it's one piece and made by a company that doesn't outsource to China (as far as I know).
aptrpl6

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Just wondering here...does anyone make a scope mount using ACME threads? I would suppose that would be truely bomb proof?
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby dale » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:41 pm

check these out: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tact ... -qd-lt-104

pricey, but the coolest qd clamping method i've seen. machined in texas too.

i have one of these, and a burris pepr. the pepr is the best bang for the buck, but chinese made. the larue looks like it costs. fit and finish is awesome. i guess you get what you pay for :roll:
dale
dale

Postby aptrpl6 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am

Larue products are excellent. I just don't know if my budget can handle the Larue vs the Leupold in this project :?
aptrpl6

Postby buckhead » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 am

I used the Burris one piece AR mount with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9-50 and couldn't be more happy busting the milk jugs at 200 yards easily
buckhead

Postby BayouBob » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 am

The AR-Stoner mount from Midway is light but strong and only $50. It is also backordered till July. I used the extra high rings from Millett on my 450 after trying a couple of other combinations. They are all steel and really strong. Nothing has mover since I installed them. They cost about $40.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby aptrpl6 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Another option that I have are two Warne Maxima high rings that I already own mounted on top of this: http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-ar- ... mount.html The Warne rings are solid steel which is good and bad (strength vs. weight). I'm trying not to make my rifle as heavy as a sack of potatoes if I can help it.
aptrpl6

Postby thatguy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:06 pm

aptrpl6 wrote:Another option that I have are two Warne Maxima high rings that I already own mounted on top of this: http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-ar- ... mount.html The Warne rings are solid steel which is good and bad (strength vs. weight). I'm trying not to make my rifle as heavy as a sack of potatoes if I can help it.

Warne recommends the 'ultra high' rings for AR use - but I dont know how much difference there is between the two heights..

I am using the warne tactical QD mounts on everything - they seemed to be the best value..

BUT the Burris one piece mounts does look good..

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster