Scope mount for 450

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Scope mount for 450

Postby aptrpl6 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:50 pm

The "high" rings are .525" and the "ultra high" rings are .650". I wonder if Warne's recommendation is based on mounting directly to the receiver or a riser? I agree that the PEPR does look nice, I just have a hang-up about putting Chinese stuff on America's rifle! :lol: Don't get me wrong, I have lots of Chinese made stuff (even an 870 clone), just not on my AR.
aptrpl6

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 am

I went with a Leapers UTG mid size riser (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/218751/leapers-utg-deluxe-medium-profile-picatinny-style-riser-mount-ar-15-flattop-matte) on which I mounted standard rings. I used blue locktite on the rail to riser connection, and have had no problems after several hundred rounds.

You need to check the height of your eye above the barrel to get the correct riser height. You also don't have much room for adjustment for eye relief with this setup.

Here is a photo:
Attachments
450 with new lower receiver small.jpg
450 with new lower receiver small.jpg (85.5 KiB) Viewed 19313 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 am

I used the cantilever AR mount from Nikon which is a one-piece affair with three lock screws: http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/rev ... -ring.html

Works fine for me...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby aptrpl6 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

aptrpl6 wrote:http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-mark-2-ims-ar-riflescope-rings-mount.html I'm thinking of using this setup to scope my 450. My only concern is that there are only 2 screws per ring, however they are torx screws. I'm looking for opinions as to whether or not this mount would hold up to the 450's recoil.

I went with the scope mount that I had previously posted about and I'm very happy with my decision. It's holding a Redfield 3-9x40 accu-range scope that I mounted a couple of days ago with a drop of blue loctite on every screw. I zeroed it today at 100yds 2 inches high and then assassinated some rogue soda bottles that were filled with water. I've GOT to start re-loading! :D
aptrpl6

Postby Hoot » Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Shooting enthusiasts are blessed with a veritable cornucopia of rings, rails and risers to choose from. Some folks are so hung up on the appearance of affluence that they just buy whatever is the most expensive, whether they need it or not and make sure you know about it. Never mind if it's necessary for their application. All I can say is don't pay for what you can not distinguish. When you find that magic solution that stands the test of time, buy several. That way, you benefit from familiarity and redundancy. I have a lot of dough sunk in middle to upper middle class scopes and over the years, I could have bought any ring and mount I wanted, but my magic solution is the un-tacticool, non-affluence indicating, Burris Signature Zee rings. They've been around a while and bring some great attributes to the table. When I need the additional height to achieve a proper cheek weld on my AR's, I go with the simple YHM-226 risers. That combination meets or exceeds my needs. The combination of those rings and risers run around $65.00 shipped if you watch for sales. I don't have to lap the rings and then marry them to a particular rail and yet my scopes are free of ring marks. With the cost of some scopes exceeding the rifles they're on, it's nice to protect my investments. I've installed them on a few friend's rifles and only on one occasion did I need to dust them with a little rosin to keep the scope from moving under recoil. That was a fellow with a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7MM Rem Mag with no recoil pad. Miserable gun. The ones on the different scopes I use on my 450B have done just fine.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 14, 2012 11:04 pm

I've tinkered and struggled with all sorts of rings. Some rings have even found themselves airborne, flying at light speed towards the garbage can. I recently found the Burris PEPR mounts and have fallen in love with them. I have two one inch rings and one 30mm PEPR mount which is currently on Thumper. A little pricey, but worth it.
BTW Hoot, how's that Simmons scope working out?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I've tinkered and struggled with all sorts of rings. Some rings have even found themselves airborne, flying at light speed towards the garbage can. I recently found the Burris PEPR mounts and have fallen in love with them. I have two one inch rings and one 30mm PEPR mount which is currently on Thumper. A little pricey, but worth it.

Haven't used it yet. Mainly bought it because with the rebate, it was a great deal. Kind of a backup.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bigboreshooter » Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am

My QD PEPR works great I pull it every time I shoot to check my BUIS. it has not lost zero once, either have my Midwest industry quick flip locking iron sights.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 am

Cheaper than Dirt has a PEPR-like mount in their current catalogue made by SunOptic USA (I think, don't have the catalogue in front of me - don't know anything about SunOptics). Anyway, I think it was around $50 and looked pretty stout. Also have a lot of rings, risers, uppers, and other AR accessories (and 308 uppers and components). I am not shilling for CTD, just sayin' . . .
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu May 17, 2012 6:59 am

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I've tinkered and struggled with all sorts of rings. Some rings have even found themselves airborne, flying at light speed towards the garbage can. I recently found the Burris PEPR mounts and have fallen in love with them. I have two one inch rings and one 30mm PEPR mount which is currently on Thumper. A little pricey, but worth it.

Haven't used it yet. Mainly bought it because with the rebate, it was a great deal. Kind of a backup.

Hoot

You remember, I bought 2. One for Gretchen and then a spare. I put the spare on my XM15 H Bar. I need to site it in but I haven't had time. I'm trying to get this fence finished be the WX gets too hot.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster