Optic for my old eyes?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 am

At WCs' recommendation, I have been using Nikko Sterling on my 450 Bushmaster. I started off with a smaller, one once tube model and it shot superbly.
Last Christmas, my gracious GF gave me this 30mm tube Nikko with a side focus and Mil Dot recticle.

This years videos have shown that the scope is a performer.
It's mounted with a Burris PEPR 30mm mount. I still have the other Nikko for a back up.
Would love to try a EOTech. I ordered one back in July but cancelled the order this week due to the fact that Optics Planet kept pushing my order back and as of Monday, they said it would be late November before there would be another chance of shipping. I was going to put the EOTech on my XM15, but I also wanted to give it a run on thumper.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:53 am

I noted that the Nikko Sterling model you selected does not have an illuminated reticle (as far as I could determine). Do you consider that to be a drawback? Also, how do you like the mil dot reticle (if that is the one you have)?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby MarkCO » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:27 am

I ended up with the Burris MTAC 1.5-6 http://www.burrisoptics.com/mtac.html on my .450 BM.

Durable, great eye releif, illuminated reticle, built in BDC. Liftetime warranty and decent prices. I've seen them used in the $300 range and new just under $400.

And YES, for this rig, illuminated reticle was a plus since dark timber and low light will be a certainty with it.
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Love the MilDot. I have no need for illuminated recticle. In my experience, it's a hinderance and a gimmick.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Love the MilDot. I have no need for illuminated recticle. In my experience, it's a hinderance and a gimmick.

Maybe in Texas :) Get into black timber at dusk or dawn and about the only way to see a reticle is with some illumination.
MarkCO

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 am

MarkCO wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Love the MilDot. I have no need for illuminated recticle. In my experience, it's a hinderance and a gimmick.

Maybe in Texas :) Get into black timber at dusk or dawn and about the only way to see a reticle is with some illumination.

Get into black timber period and you might need some illumination! Sure gets tricky sometimes.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:30 am

I'm sure there is a time and place for it. But for my eyes, the recticle would have to be super fine. Most of the illuminated scopes I've looked at have such thick recticles, that at 100 yards +, they totally consume a deer sized target. But that may just be my eyes. Plus, if the light is so low that you're having a problem distinguishing your game through your scope, it's time to get back to camp, as its too dark and too dangerous to pull the trigger on a target when you can't positively ID it. And an illuminated recticle IS NOT going to illuminate your target. Worst case scenario, you may get too confident in low light and pull the trigger after legal shooting hours and get busted by Wildlife Law enforcement.
But that's just my opinion.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Rwood » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Im running a barska 3-12x50 with weaver tactical high mounts. It does have the illuminated reticle but i find if i use it its on the lowest power because as ive seen mentioned and i completely agree the higher you turn it up the more it consumes your target. My dad who is 61 has been running a couple of weaver scopes i believe the kaspa series 3-12x44 scope was his most recent and he loves it. He says his eyes arent what they were and he uses the IR so he doesnt lose his reticle when focusing on his game in lower light. I wish i would have found this forum sooner because i had a nikon bdc scope and sold it because i didnt have a use for it, i had no idea that it would work with the 250 bushmaster loads or i would have mounted that on my rifle.
Rwood

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster