Optic for my old eyes?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Optic for my old eyes?

Postby B swift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:57 pm

My thumper is under a modest Sig holo sight at the moment but I noticed the other day it went out after a shot and came back on after another shot. :roll: I have trouble getting the precision I've come to expect after shooting for the last 35 years. I like very accurate shot placement. My eyes are getting OLD! Open sights are almost useless these days. Who among us Bushmaster fans is using a scope and what model? How do you like it?

I've done a search but I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to optics for old farts. Searching the net just buried me. I'd like some input from the .450 shooters here.

Thanks kindly for reading me and big thanks for your feedback!

~Ray
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
User avatar
B swift
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm

B swift wrote:My thumper is under a modest Sig holo sight at the moment but I noticed the other day it went out after a shot and came back on after another shot. :roll: I have trouble getting the precision I've come to expect after shooting for the last 35 years. I like very accurate shot placement. My eyes are getting OLD! Open sights are almost useless these days. Who among us Bushmaster fans is using a scope and what model? How do you like it?

I've done a search but I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to optics for old farts. Searching the net just buried me. I'd like some input from the .450 shooters here.

Thanks kindly for reading me and big thanks for your feedback!

~Ray


Hey Ray-Gun,

What's are your mission requirements? Are you trying to shoot long distance, plinking, or fast, close-up dangerous game stuff??

..t
Safety First..t
User avatar
wildcatter
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:30 pm
Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby B swift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:09 pm

FYI... I have an old (cheap) Simmons scope on my 7mm Rem Mag 6-18X
My only scoped black rifle at the moment is a Nikon P223 on my AR-15. I'm still waiting on a Nikon M308 for my Sig 716
I'm a humble farm hand (laborer) so consider my budget TIGHT! :oops:
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
User avatar
B swift
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby B swift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 pm

The idea is something suitable for the .450. I'm thinking range wise between 40 feet and 150 yards. I like head shots. Specific points on the skull are good. I hate chasing my game.


wildcatter wrote:
B swift wrote:My thumper is under a modest Sig holo sight at the moment but I noticed the other day it went out after a shot and came back on after another shot. :roll: I have trouble getting the precision I've come to expect after shooting for the last 35 years. I like very accurate shot placement. My eyes are getting OLD! Open sights are almost useless these days. Who among us Bushmaster fans is using a scope and what model? How do you like it?

I've done a search but I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to optics for old farts. Searching the net just buried me. I'd like some input from the .450 shooters here.

Thanks kindly for reading me and big thanks for your feedback!

~Ray


Hey Ray-Gun,

What's are your mission requirements? Are you trying to shoot long distance, plinking, or fast, close-up dangerous game stuff??

..t
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
User avatar
B swift
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 pm

B swift wrote:...snip...My eyes are getting OLD! Open sights are almost useless these days. Who among us Bushmaster fans is using a scope and what model? How do you like it?
~Ray



My eyes aren't what they used to be and since I'm not in a situation where I need to do CQB, I run scopes on all my rifles except the muzzle loader, upon which we're not allowed to use a scope during muzzle loading season. DNR says it kinda defeats the reason for having a muzzle loading season, but I digress.

For load development, I run a 6-24, usually on 24. I'm testing loads not my eyes. Come hunting season off comes the long glass and for my type of north woods hunting, a 2-7 or 3-9 is more than adequate. Many members use and love their Nikon Omega 3-9x40 for it's long eye relief and rugged nature. I got my dad a Redfield Revolutuon 3-9 and I was very impressed with the almost rimless view through it. Very little edge around the glass and seems to do well in low light. Aside from that, the Sightron S-II 3-9x42 is a good scope and just about any name brand 2-7 will work. Hard to screw that range up. Watch the sales over on Optics Planet. They have some very good deals if you hit the sales. Natchez has a great sale on demo Fullfield 3-9 and 2-7 scopes going on right now. That model is also popular around these parts.

I'm partial to Nikon Monarchs and Bushnell Elite 4200s.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby BayouBob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I tried several scopes on my Thumper. (I have the same old eyes problem even with catarac lenses.) I settled on the Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5. It has long eye relief and was designed to stand up to stout recoil. I use the 450 mostly for hog hunting. When I am slipping through the woods I keep it on 3 and in the stand I move it up to 5. Most of my shots are in the 75 to 125 yard range and it has plenty of power for those distances. Good low light performance too. With Thumper you don't really need to head shoot them; a 250gr. or bigger bullet in the shoulder blade anchors them right there. (After one late November swim after a buck that ran and jumped off a bluff into the creek I don't take any chance on chasing them either!)
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Arkansas Delta country

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby B swift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks kindly Hoot!

I was even considering something like a pistol scope or Scout style?

Glad to search and shop. Appreciate the tips!

~R.
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
User avatar
B swift
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby B swift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks to you BayouBob! I might use that on my Mossberg! 8-)



BayouBob wrote:I tried several scopes on my Thumper. (I have the same old eyes problem even with catarac lenses.) I settled on the Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5. It has long eye relief and was designed to stand up to stout recoil. I use the 450 mostly for hog hunting. When I am slipping through the woods I keep it on 3 and in the stand I move it up to 5. Most of my shots are in the 75 to 125 yard range and it has plenty of power for those distances. Good low light performance too. With Thumper you don't really need to head shoot them; a 250gr. or bigger bullet in the shoulder blade anchors them right there. (After one late November swim after a buck that ran and jumped off a bluff into the creek I don't take any chance on chasing them either!)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
User avatar
B swift
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 pm

Swiftie...I get only to the same ranges you mentioned too (125 yds. is "long" around here). I really like the Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5X I put on mine, and best of all, the little "range" circles in the reticle are almost exactly on the dot with the 250gr Hornady factory loads. Very clear, excellent optical quality scope. Natchezss.com usually has refurbished models for pretty cheap.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
User avatar
commander faschisto
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby B swift » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Swiftie...I get only to the same ranges you mentioned too (125 yds. is "long" around here). I really like the Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5X I put on mine, and best of all, the little "range" circles in the reticle are almost exactly on the dot with the 250gr Hornady factory loads. Very clear, excellent optical quality scope. Natchezss.com usually has refurbished models for pretty cheap.


Sweet. I like the p223. (A LOT) That slughunter might be my ticket but I like the 2.5-10 X a bit more? Wonder what lines up with the BDC where on that? :?: :idea: :?:
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
User avatar
B swift
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests