Optic for my old eyes?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Optic for my old eyes?

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:20 am

I shoot the Nikon InlineXR (used to be the Omega) It's a 3-9 and i love it. The Balisitic plex is setup for a muzzleloader and it works perfectly for the 450! It also has generous eye relief and can withstand the thump.
Wicked Hunter

Postby bigboreshooter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I use the nikon monarch African 1-4 w/ German #4 reticle. Great eye relief and not expensive at all. Got mine at optics planet for $250. On further examination it looks exactly like my 1-4 .223 nikon, just dosen't have quick zero turrets.
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby BD1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Both Nikon and Leupold make BDC scopes specifically for the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps. Perfect for the .450B
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby B swift » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:22 am

Something like the OMEGA? And a one piece mount?

BD1 wrote:Both Nikon and Leupold make BDC scopes specifically for the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps. Perfect for the .450B
BD
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby BD1 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 am

The Leupy is called the Ultimate slam if I remember correctly. It has dots for 150, 200 and 250 with the stop of the thicker lower stadia being 300. Mine is right on using the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby B swift » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 am

This looks like a winner in my book. Order in to Optics planet dot com and went with Burris Xtreme Tactical (high) Rings. They looked a bit more heavy duty than the Nikon P series mounts. We will see.

Thanks for all the great tips everyone! 8-)

Wicked Hunter wrote:I shoot the Nikon InlineXR (used to be the Omega) It's a 3-9 and i love it. The Balisitic plex is setup for a muzzleloader and it works perfectly for the 450! It also has generous eye relief and can withstand the thump.
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby B swift » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Got the new glass today. Took my time mounting it and it's sitting at just the right height and forward enough to feel nice and comfy on my shoulder with the nearly perfect relief for my old eyes.

Can't wait to go out and get her zeroed in! Only wish I had more than 45 rounds to pump through it. I just love shooting this little beast! The recoil hardly phases me. I also wish I had more than the one 5 round mag.

Thanks again to all for the replies and advise. You guys are awesome! 8-)
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby jerdebson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:37 pm

I have settled on 3.5x10x50 over the years except on long range, close quarters or target guns. Believe it or not I have bought three Tasco World Class Plus scopes in that mag. range. The "Plus" is an exceptional value in scopes but hard to find anymore.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby duckmanmark » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:36 am

I now have a new Eotech EXPS2-2. It was primo for heads up shooting at running pigs a few weeks ago. Coupled with an Aimpoint 3x flip to side I dearly hope to post an elk on the trophy wall and contest next week. I have been getting very consistent results at 300 yards. But keep in mind the only thing Annie Oakley and I have in common is a fetish for boots. Fuzzy catepillars have eaten all of my front sights and refuse to move. I find the red dot a great alternative.
Christian, Conservative
Husband, Father
Friend, Worker
Taxpayer
I'm not sure if this is a sigfile or an epitaph
duckmanmark

Postby B swift » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 pm

I've had a number of red dot sights but the only crap I can afford is useless. :P It's a superb concept that will instill instinct for point shooting. (instinct shooting) without sights or sighting. When it's comfortable, do it. Leading moving targets takes LOTS of practice. If you hunt "ethically" you know what I mean. ;) I'd love to step up to a set up like the Eotech for up close stuff or add a 2X? sickness runs deep my friend. Enjoy!
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster