What Optics are you using on your Thumper?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: What Optics are you using on your Thumper?

Postby lungingturtle2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:58 am

Received Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10X50, 30mm tube, w/illuminated mildot reticle a couple of days ago, it also came with a P.E.P.R. Burris Q.D. mount. Put it on my .450 Bushmaster and it shoots great as expected. It is a heavy scope, but I'm happy with it. They are still on sale at Palmetto State Arms for $199.95 in case anyone is interested. Mike.
lungingturtle2

Postby Hoot » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:21 am

lungingturtle2 wrote:Received Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10X50, 30mm tube, w/illuminated mildot reticle a couple of days ago, it also came with a P.E.P.R. Burris Q.D. mount. Put it on my .450 Bushmaster and it shoots great as expected. It is a heavy scope, but I'm happy with it. They are still on sale at Palmetto State Arms for $199.95 in case anyone is interested. Mike.

Mike;

Looking through it, how much dead space is around the actual optical window? I ask because I looked through a 30mm tubed 56mm objective scope once that had a lot of dead space between the optical window and the outside world. I think some scope manufacturers cheat on the terms and results. Then again, I bought my dad a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 to replace his dilapidated 3-9x40 Redfield Widefield and it seemed like the optical window was huge. Good light gatherer also. Dad didn't like the Revolution and had me put the Widefield back on, even though it wandered about 2-3 MOA over his .30-06 at 100 yds and the lateral crosshair was slightly canted. He missed the TV screen style view.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby MarkCO » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 am

I put a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x (illuminated) on my just completed .450 BM. I use the 1-4 MTAC on my .223s in competition and almost went that route, but since I won't be doing any "hosing" with the .450 BM and the 6x might be nice out at say 250 yards with the BDC, I figured that the extra 2x at the top would be more useful than 1x up close. Besides, I'll have a laser on it for the really up close stuff.
MarkCO

Postby lungingturtle2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm

Hoot, this Weaver definitely has more "dead" space than my Leupolds, I have a Kahles 10X sniper that has some dead space which really surprised me as it is a pretty high end scope. Considering the price the Weaver was still a good deal. Mike.
lungingturtle2

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster