Reticles

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Reticles

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:33 pm

I am looking at a new scope for my BM450, but aside from the manufacturer, I am discovering that there are a whole lot of choices for reticles. My main use of the rifle is for target shooting at 100 yds and hunting out to 200 yds. Weaver is currently on sale at Natchez in the German or double X reticles, and I have seen many other styles.

Who has a preferred reticle style and why do you like it (or not)?
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Re: Reticles

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I am looking at a new scope for my BM450, but aside from the manufacturer, I am discovering that there are a whole lot of choices for reticles. My main use of the rifle is for target shooting at 100 yds and hunting out to 200 yds. Weaver is currently on sale at Natchez in the German or double X reticles, and I have seen many other styles.

For load testing (target shooting) I like my 1/8 MOA Target Dots and extra fine crosshairs. All my hunting scopes have the same, standard Duplex Reticle. That's what I've been using for the past 40 years and my eye and brain are trained for that sight window. No extra thinking when switching from gun to gun. Some times, I'm on an adrenalin rush and I need some decisions made for me. I do not like busy reticles.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby PRKL8R » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Jim in Houston I rrecently mounted a Leupold VX-Hog 1-4x20 on my Bushy. It has fine enough crosshair for 100yd target work and enough mag for 200yd hunting. It has 3 heavy wires from sides and bottom narrowing to fine like duplex. However it does get abit busy as HOOT put it with a circle around the center hairs presumably to draw the eye quicker for a running shot. I have not had a chance to try this feature. Check out the Pig-Plex recticle on Midway or Leupold.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby B swift » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:I am looking at a new scope for my BM450, but aside from the manufacturer, I am discovering that there are a whole lot of choices for reticles. My main use of the rifle is for target shooting at 100 yds and hunting out to 200 yds. Weaver is currently on sale at Natchez in the German or double X reticles, and I have seen many other styles.

Hey Jim. I just got a Nikon BDC inline 3X9 and it's pretty sweet. I have a Nikon BDC on my .223 as well and one on order for my .308 but I was looking at those "illuminated" reticle with a red or green dot? Those might be better for low light or darker targets.

I've only played with my Nikons but they sure do the job. Almost no regret. Still want to see a dot in low light though...(My eyes are THAT bad!) :shock:
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 pm

Yes, an illuminated reticle seems to be in order. I hate it when the black dot or cross hairs go into the black target area. Good tip on the "busy" factor. I have seen some reticles that look like an instrument that could land the space shuttle. RIP space shuttle.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby macmac » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 am

I have a Hawke nite-eye digital 3-12x50 I think..dont have with me right now...lol But has blue and red lights..(i am red color blind) but the web page also has program to tell what each mark is zeroed at once you know bc of bullet and range you sight in at..But this is on my Socom..very nice scope! 8-)
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes ... gital.html
macmac

Postby PRKL8R » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Jim in Houston if it's illumination u need check out Leupold VX-R series of scopes. They have at least 3 options for recticles in variable powers from 1.25-4 to 4-12. I like Optics Planet or Midway.
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby BayouBob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:14 pm

I'm with Hoot on the standard reticle. I've tried a couple of scopes with the various rangefinding wires and stadia on the reticle and they make me have to think. That is a painful process at my age. One thing you might look at if you are going to be shooting at black hogs in dim light is the Burris or other 1 mil illuminated dot at the center of the crosshairs. You get a tiny light that doesn't cover anything but makes a big difference in shooting. Some of the scopes that have the entire reticle illuminated are too much. In real dim light even on their lowest setting they are brighter than the target and can actually make it harder to see the animal. Case in point is the otherwise excellent Burris LRS tactical scopes; they won't go low enough for real low light shooting.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster