Nikon Omega Discontinued

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Nikon Omega Discontinued

Postby mossy89 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:59 pm

So I was looking and the Nikon Omega has been discontinued but is now replaced by the Nikon InlineXR 300. I had the omega on my first 450 and most likely will get another. I don't think I'll have any shots over 100 yards, but can anyone recommend a good red dot scope or any other scopes that can handle the bushy recoil? I would really like a red dot but don't want to buy a crazy priced one. Thanks.
mossy89

Re: Nikon Omega Discontinued

Postby jerdebson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 pm

I've tried several of the "cheap" red dots and they are a crap shoot with heavy recoil. I believe the higher dollar units will take more than the lesser ones. I don't have a red dot on my 450B but would try one, just be ready to replace it if it can't take the "abuse".

If you get one let us know what you got and how it worked for you. I used a Tasco PDPIII Big Dot on my 9x23S+P comp pistol for several years and it still works. I kept a spare around just incase but never needed it. Primary Arms sells Chinese scopes and red dot products that have had good reviews. They don't have as good internals, the batteries don't last as long but they are a very good value for the dollar. A friend has one of their scopes and it seems to be a good scope for the money. It is a little heavy though.
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeah, I hated to see that 1.65X5 power scope bite the dust. I have three and use them on my Dangerous Game guns.

Consider that we regularly shoot 1000yds with only iron sights, in High-Power Competition. So, the 5x is just fine for me and I don't shoot my DG Guns past 500yds. But the 1.65X or even less power is really good when a 800lb pig, or a ??? is about to ruin your day and the shot is going to be necessarily close.

The Nikon Inline XR 300 is a 3-9x and in my opinion, isn't as good a very close and fast shooting.

Guess, I'll have to install my Docter on a 45° angle. whereas I was hoping for one scope for all missions and the Discontinued Nikon, just fit my bill.. The good news is the inline XR 3-9x40 300 bdc is $185 shipped..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:18 pm

:) i've been using the nikko stirling nighteaters (1.5-6x36, 3-9x42) ever since you recommended them. i love 'um! 8-) rock solid and great in low light situations. ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby B swift » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 pm

wildcatter wrote:Yeah, I hated to see that 1.65X5 power scope bite the dust. I have three and use them on my Dangerous Game guns.

Consider that we regularly shoot 1000yds with only iron sights, in High-Power Competition. So, the 5x is just fine for me and I don't shoot my DG Guns past 500yds. But the 1.65X or even less power is really good when a 800lb pig, or a ??? is about to ruin your day and the shot is going to be necessarily close.

The Nikon Inline XR 300 is a 3-9x and in my opinion, isn't as good a very close and fast shooting.

Guess, I'll have to install my Docter on a 45° angle. whereas I was hoping for one scope for all missions and the Discontinued Nikon, just fit my bill.. The good news is the inline XR 3-9x40 300 bdc is $185 shipped..

..t

I agree. 3x is a bit much for things measured in feet. It just happened to fit in my budget. :lol: I kinda liked my budget holo sight but it didn't like the bucking. ;) I think I'd be inclined toward zero magnification for the beasts the
.450 could slay up close. 8-)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby wildcatter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:24 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote::) i've been using the nikko stirling nighteaters (1.5-6x36, 3-9x42) ever since you recommended them. i love 'um! 8-) rock solid and great in low light situations. ;)

I love'em too and if you sight in for Point-Blank, they are good to 240yds, with just a center mass hold and a ten inch target..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm bummed as well...I bought three Omegas, of both ranges, and absolute love them. Was planning on one more,...maybe can find still online... :cry:

Update edit: Natchez still has some in stock!
Last edited by commander faschisto on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby mossy89 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah... Well the Nikon inlineXR is their new muzzleloader scope to replace the omega.
mossy89

Postby cptrifeg2 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 am

mossy89 wrote:So I was looking and the Nikon Omega has been discontinued but is now replaced by the Nikon InlineXR 300. I had the omega on my first 450 and most likely will get another. I don't think I'll have any shots over 100 yards, but can anyone recommend a good red dot scope or any other scopes that can handle the bushy recoil? I would really like a red dot but don't want to buy a crazy priced one. Thanks.

You can find several used Acogs and other tricojin scopes out there for a reasonable price (as well as eotech). While I never have been an Eotech fan for anything other than door breeching, Acogs fit the bill. Yeah..they are crazy expensive for new in the box, but you know where the cash went when you have chinese crap and quality produced optics side by side. the only 400-500 $ solutions i've seen out of the box were made by aimpoint but I cant attest to the recoil factor with those. I promise if you save your cash and shell the bucks once you'll never regret it. In 15 years I have never found a better 100-700 yard red dot solution (at the governments expense of course).

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby tbirdman74 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:14 pm

Anyone still looking for omegas, check your local cabelas bargain cave. Just picked up an omega 3-9 silver finish for 39 bucks. Had 3, I got one and another guy grabbed the other two.
Go big... or go home.
tbirdman74

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster