Sight questions

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Sight questions

Postby thatguy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:04 pm

I am just about to order a 450 Bushmaster upper (the wifey gave approval of cashing in some discover card reward points for $650 in Cabelas gift card to buy 'some hunting stuff') and I was looking at accessories and had a few question I havent found in the forums..

1) Does the current model 450B have a place to mount a BUIS front sight? In some pics it appears that it has a small rail at the end of the forearm and in other pics there is no rail at all..

2) Has anyone tried the Pmag MBUS on their 450B upper? I would like to have some iron sights if something happens to my scope while hunting..

3) I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope (2.x-7ish) in Warne ultra high QD tactical rings.. After reading different post about ppl recommending shotgun/muzzleloading scopes - I wonder if this scope will be able to handle the 450b..

4) Has anyone used the 'knock off' red dot scopes (like from 1337 tactical, SPOT, Primary Arms, etc) on a 450b with success? I have the Bushnell 1x32 trijicon looking red dot on a RCS 22 upper that I really like but didnt know they could withstand the recoil..

changing topics to reloading

I currently do not reload BUT have a neighbor that does.. Is there anything 'special' about the 450B that makes it difficult to reload for? He has never reloaded for any semi-auto rifles/pistols - Is there a difference in bolt and semi reloading?

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: Sight questions

Postby MudBug » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Welcome.

1.) It comes with a railed gas block, which means your front buis will need to be made for that.

2.) I have the Magpul BUIS (Front and back) on my rifle, but I replaced my front handguard and gas block. I don't know if the Magpul front buis will work with a gas block mount.

3.) You scope should be fine, it's not a violent push, more of a slow shove. THe reason people are looking at some of the other scopes is simply the reticles they come with which are made for shorter distance, faster shooting, and in the case of the muzzle loader scope the reticle is a ballistic model which almost matches the ballistics of the 450b.

4.) I have very little experience with the budget red-dots.

5.) Nothing real different about reloading for the 450b, it's basically just a long pistol round (kinda)
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Mudbug..

I did some googling for front sights and got myself little confused.. Do the gas block front sights come in different heights? If so, how to I make sure that the rear sight and the front sight are the same height?

I am also little confused on the bullet Hornady uses when I get around to reloading.. The loaded ammo is called the FTX (flex tip) and one advertisement i read said it is the same type of bullet used in the Leverevolution ammo... I also read it is the same as the SST (super shock tip) muzzleloader bullet? In the natchezz catalog they are listed as as separate bullets - #45201 (FTX for the 450B) and a #45202 (SST-ML bullet) - Same bullet, but different marketing or different bullets?

MudBug - any particular reason you replace the handguard and gas block? Just wondering what I may want to do down the road..

BTW - How can anyone buy ammo from Cabelas.. 450B ammo in Roanoke was $39.99/box... WOW.. If you ordered only a couple boxes online and paid shipping it would still be cheaper than Gander mtn..
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby MudBug » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:08 pm

I believe that the sight made for mounting on a gas block are a little taller. They will be labeled for use with a gas block like These YHM sights in the middle of the page. THe problem is that I'm not sure if the bushmaster railed gas block and all of the other ones all meet the same standards. I checked Bushmasters site and they don't seem to have any front sights made for their gas block. You may want to call and ask them about it.

I changed the front handguard cuz personally I think the stock handguard/gasblock is ugly as hell. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

Midway has the ammo for $27 right now

Yes the bullets are the same, thought the muzzle loader bullets come with a plastic sabot.

HERE Midway has them as the lever revolution bullets.

And here's a pic of the SSTs with the sabot.

Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks

FYI - Here is a link to what Natchezz carries (hornady 45202) - they appear to be bullets only (no sabots) and come in 50 packs

I hope the link comes out - if not sorry first time with linking..

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=HO45202&CFID=26461208&CFTOKEN=16133592

Here are the 45201 FTX bullets http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=HO45201&CFID=26461208&CFTOKEN=16133592

Ill check with Bushmaster before I buy any sights.. I appreciate your help

brian
thatguy

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster