Offset open sights for 16" 450 using gas block

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Offset open sights for 16" 450 using gas block

Postby Feralreaper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Wanted to post an update- I tried the yhm 3 rail 45' offset with yhm low profile flip up sight on the rear. This will not work with a traditional 3x9x40 scope. I tried fitting it on 2 differant 450's one a larue scope mount the other Burris scope mount. The problem is the rear sight hits on the scope. Tried moving the rear sight forward to clear the eyepiece and still will not clear also if it were to fit you would not be able to push the locking button to flip the sight up and down. Also I purchased a second yhm 3 rail 45' offset and a yhm flip up gas block sight for the front it seems as though this would work for a front sight. One thing that would be better is a rail on top of the offset bracket so in my case I could utilize the top rail on my gas block to keep my laser mounted because the offset bracket blocks the right side gas block rail so it sacrifices two rails for one sight. It seems like my only option is a JP modular tube with pistol style sights that all mount to the foretube. I was trying to stay away from this because of cost and changing the gas block and foregrip. I already have a few sets of battle sights and I like folding them down when transporting thru thick debris. The JP set up probably is great for 3gun on a range,but it seems to be one more thing to hang up in the vines and vegetation of real world hunting, I may be wrong. So I will ask everyone out there a differant question ( For all you hog hunters how do you achieve both hunting with your dayscope and having open sights ?) my style hunting I need both options at all times I can't remove the scope when I want open sights because whichever way I choose I need the other in a matter of a second!! Thank you
Feralreaper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:48 pm

What about this configuration?

image.jpg
BUIS
image.jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 12925 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Feralreaper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

How would you suggest this mount to a 16" with a dayscope?
Feralreaper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:33 am

If you had to swap out, use a quick Disconnect PEPR for the scope and then you could just remove the scope and put this on the top rail where the scope was or A 45 degree offset with the BUIS on the left side? But it would seem to be a heavy option for that application.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Feralreaper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 pm

That's my dilema I have a pepr and a larue quick disconnect on 2 of my hog rifles with low profile battle sights, I have lost a few big hogs due to having the scope off when needed or have the scope on when I jump one up. The areas I hunt within a few steps it could be a close up 5' shot or a 150 yard shot. 20 + years ago when I was in boot camp I could hit 300 meter targets with open sights all day long I find now head shots on hogs with open sight at over 100 yards I now need the assistance of optics to make clean 1 shot kills. Getting older has some disadvantages!
Feralreaper

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Here is what I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUJRM-0mZLM

Hope that helps.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Feralreaper » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for the input, the 16" doesn't have slots in the foregrip to mount to. I'm trying to find if there is an option without replacing the foregrip because I currently have 2 complete that I use and more I want to setup. I didn't want to change it out and find there is a way to move my troy opensights off the top rail from under my dayscope. The yhm 45' offsets are a inexpensive great concepet to achieve what I want and leave the original rifle in tact it just needs anothe 1/2" to clear my day scope. I will keep looking if I can't find what I am looking for I may build one of my other uppers and change the foregrip and go from there before I change my current hunting rifles.
Feralreaper

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster