Best Optic for Hunting

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Best Optic for Hunting

Postby Nosparks » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 pm

I havent put it on my 450b, but THE best scope I have ever owned is a TASCO World Class 3-9x40. I recieved it 20 years ago and it needs little to no adjustment year after year. Which when you consider it bounces around on my 4 wheeler for 5 month each, I think that makes it a pretty damn good scope. I purchased one (59.99 wally world) a few years ago and have recieved the same perfomance for it as well. It may not be the best in low light or meet Leupold standards, but for the cost it can not be beat.

With that said I may be the lucky one who got two well made scopes, but I think that is with everything mass produced in this world. And I can not justify the cost of some of these scopes I have seen and heard fail just as bad and the cheap ones.

But at $139 that is a good deal!
Nosparks

Postby 45r » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:22 am

I'd like to try one of the Vortex 1x4 scopes with a FFP circle dot type reticle.They're like a aimpoint on 1x and like a Mil-dot or MRAD IR scope on 4x.I've read these type of scopes are rapidly becoming the most popular 1x4 scope.
45r

Postby bushmeister » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm

The only scope I have experience with on the 450 is the Leupold Ultimateslam. It has held up well and I couldn't be more pleased.
bushmeister

Postby BD1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:12 am

I was in two WalMarts in Maine early this morning, (hoping to find .22rf ), and I noticed that both stores had the Nikon Omega BDC slug scopes on sale for $200. Like the Leupold Ultimate Slam, The Nikon Omega BDC has the ballistic reticule that matches the 250 grain FTX at 2,200 fps.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby milsurpcollector » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I vote for anything with a lifetime warranty. The only way a manufacturer can make money with a gaurantee like that is if they make a good product to start out with.

I have zero experience with Nikon scopes but I think they are all made in china. So you are just paying for the Nikon name.

Burris and Leupold still made in the USA
milsurpcollector

Postby wildcatter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

milsurpcollector wrote:I vote for anything with a lifetime warranty. The only way a manufacturer can make money with a gaurantee like that is if they make a good product to start out with.

I have zero experience with Nikon scopes but I think they are all made in china. So you are just paying for the Nikon name.

Kinda sorta..

I talked to both this last shot show and both indicated that some of their product is indeed made over seas. I don't remember which one's..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby AndrewX » Fri May 31, 2013 7:12 pm

I have the Nikon Omega 3-9X40 (now renamed the Inline XR) on my 16" .450. I chose it for the optics (quality & value), the BDC reticle specifically set up for the muzzleloader ballistics that almost duplicate the .450 and the 5 inches of eye relief at any power. It has worked well and I haven't had any issues or complaints either on the range or in the field. If I had to make the decision over again for hunting at ranges that the .450 excels at and under the conditions that I hunt, I'd pick the same scope. We hunt in a QDM county and the 9X has been useful to count the points before taking the shot and my sixteen year old son harvested his first deer last year with this carbine and scope!
AndrewX
16" Bushmaster upper
NRA Patron Life Member
AndrewX

Postby BD1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:05 pm

I've been using the Ultimate Slam for a few years now with no issues at all. Can't beat having a BDC reticle exactly matched to your load.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Hic28 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 pm

milsurpcollector wrote:I vote for anything with a lifetime warranty. The only way a manufacturer can make money with a gaurantee like that is if they make a good product to start out with.

My Nikon says made in Japan, great scope yet it was close to $500

Of my two leupolds, the high dollar one says made in USA and the less expensive one says made in the Philippines, both are great scopes.

I can't remember where my Burris was made ill check and get back to you.

For my 450 I use a 2-7 leupold rifleman and after 250 rounds its still holding up great.
"An armed society is a polite society"
Hic28

Postby JEB308 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm

30Hart wrote:I'm using a 1.5-8x Minox that was listed in Field and Stream as a Top 10 Best Buy. That way you'd get the best of both worlds 1.5 for close in hogs and 8x for sighting in and longer range. Cameraland has some show specials for just $299. They have German Schott Glass and a lifetime warranty, good luck.

Guy's all these are good quality scopes and I have some that have been mentioned, but you have to take a look at the Minox brand of scopes. The instant i picked the 1.5x8 up i was hooked. The eye relief is awesome, like 5" there abouts. It works perfect on the AR platform for sure. I have always liked Nikon but will probably buy another one of these Minox.
JEB308

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster