Just built a 450 bushmaster what optic should i get?

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Just built a 450 bushmaster what optic should i get?

Postby japanimal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Super excited to finally get a 16" upper. I'm leaning toward the ta31 ACOG for Deer in Northern Wisconsin's heavy brush(100-150 yard max). Any recommendations? Should I even go ACOG?
japanimal

Re: Just built a 450 bushmaster what optic should i get?

Postby MaineAR » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:28 pm

My personal preference is for some sort of variable power optic. Acogs are typically specific to certain calibers (5.56, .308, 6.8, 7.62x39) and are pretty dang pricey. I deployed with one and loved it. I bought one when I came home and decided to ditch it because I could get more versatility with a variable power optic. You might find yourself hunting in an area where you don't need 3x or 4x magnification, or it may not be enough either. I put a Burris 2-7 Fullfield E1 on my Bushy and love it.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/ffe1_2x7x.html

Plenty of magnification to reach out or "scope things out" if I need to, and I can pull it back to 2x for closer shots as well. I suppose most folks use 1-4, 1-5 or 2-7 power scopes and that covers them pretty good for this caliber since we aren't exactly going to be long range hunting with this round. Check some out at your local sporting goods store and see what you think you may prefer for magnification. You can save a ton by going with a Burris, Nikon, or certain Leupolds and use the difference from the Acog on ammo!
MaineAR

Postby MarkCO » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:00 pm

ACOGs are nice, but I agree that it might not be the best for the Thumpers. 1-4, 1-5, 1.5-6 and 2-7s are the choices that make the most sense and cover the caliber and types of targets pretty well. I run a 1.5-6 MTAC from Burris on my 16" and will probably move that one to the 18" Corvette and put a 1-4 MTAC on the 16".
MarkCO

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:16 am

I've got a Nikon Omega 1.65-5X variable on mine...works just fine for my shooting distances around here, where a 100 yard shot is a long one on 450b-grade furry stuff. That said, I hope everyone knows that the 450b can reach out and touch things a long way further out than most people realize. Even at longer distances and lower velocities, you're still punching a 1/2" hole through the target!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby GerryU » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I also have a Burris 2-7 Fullfield E1 on my Trident 18" and am quite happy with its performance.
GerryU

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:05 am

I've always considered the BM450 to be a hunting rifle, not a tactical one, since the power and recoil is more than you will need or want for close quarters. For that reason, I would not go for a tactical scope, like a 1x red dot, reflex or holographic. Since the range is limited (300 yards, in my opinion, to be sure of a kill shot on a large target like an elk), I would go with something suitable for deer hunting, like a 3-9x. I am using a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with the Ballistic Firedot Reticle. Here is a reference - http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/p-17843-leupold-vx-r-3-9x40-illuminated-firedot-duplex-reticle-matte.aspx. If you are going after hogs, then in that case I might want something in the 1-4x range, if distance shooting beyond 100 yds is not a consideration. There are also some less expensive scopes that have been reported to have held up well, like Burris. Optics Planet is a good source - http://www.opticsplanet.com/riflescopes.html, and for the bargain basement, I like Sportsman's Guide - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=scopes.

Another consideration is rings. The Burris PEPR mount or similar ones from Nikon and others seem to be popular.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby yeldak » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:59 pm

I'm currently running a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24. To me it seems to work perfect on my setup... I am a little partial to Vortex though. I'm in the process of putting Vortex glass on all my guns.
yeldak

Postby secomron » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:57 am

I hunt in an area that often requires a fast shot on moving hogs, for me an EoTech with a magnifier in a flip to the side mount works well. I was out Thursday to Saturday and all the shots I had were under 50 yards on moving pigs. The magnifier wasn't used at all. If you prefer to shoot with both eyes open and use a scope, a lower magnification (1-4) will work well.
secomron

Postby Nosparks » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Optics definitely depend on your shooting conditions. I use a 1-4x32 when hog and deer hunting, since we hunt with dogs. But when I'm still hunting from a stand I use a 3-9x50. Just make sure that the optic you get is decently made. Cheap scopes will always leave you wanting more!
Nosparks

Postby rb288 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:24 pm

I concur on the Vortex.
I have a Crossfire II 1-4x24 on my 450 BM and a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 with TMCO moa reticle on my Colt 6920.
Both are great scopes with a great price and both maintain zero when removed and remounted.
I may have been on the losing side, but, I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
rb288

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster