Welcome to our new optics section of the forum!

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Welcome to our new optics section of the forum!

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:29 am

We created this section for everyone who has questions about the optics and open sights options being used for the 450 Bushmaster. Enjoy.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: Welcome to our new optics section of the forum!

Postby wildcatter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:We created this section for everyone who has questions about the optics and open sights options being used for the 450 Bushmaster. Enjoy.

"OPTICS"!!!

Dog-Gone-it, Dawg, keepa youz fingers outta youz eyez, lol,,

,,t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:44 pm

I usually have both eyes shut!!! :shock:

Actually, on my various rifles I have Leopold, Nikon and Burris. All the scopes work very well but (in MY mind) I think the Leopold has the clearest glass.
I use a Burris MTAC on my 223 race gun ( getting into 3 gun). For my eyes 4 power is about as low as I would go for 100 yard shots. While my future son-in-law was
banging steal at 200 yards at the last match, so age of eyes has a lot to do with it! :(
The Leopold is a 3 x 9 that sits on my 450. Works just fine.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:41 am

Ghost Dog wrote:I usually have both eyes shut!!! :shock:

Actually, on my various rifles I have Leopold, Nikon and Burris. All the scopes work very well but (in MY mind) I think the Leopold has the clearest glass.
I use a Burris MTAC on my 223 race gun ( getting into 3 gun). For my eyes 4 power is about as low as I would go for 100 yard shots. While my future son-in-law was
banging steal at 200 yards at the last match, so age of eyes has a lot to do with it! :(
The Leopold is a 3 x 9 that sits on my 450. Works just fine.

I have a Leopold 3x9 on my 450 as well, and I agree that it works fine for the game (medium) and ranges (out to 200 to 300 yards, depending on your ability) for the BM450. Many people, me included, tend to forget about reticle selection, when they are picking their scope, and focus (no pun intended) on the power. I use a ballistic reticle on the Leopold, which is good for the ranges I would shoot at. I have a BDC on my Nikon on my .30-06, and that has given me good results out to 400 yards, which is more than I would attempt on the BM450. Although I mainly shoot targets, I selected these scopes on their utility in hunting. If you are a bench rest, long range target shooter, a mil dot reticle may work better.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:10 am

I have two scopes for my 450b. For load testing, I have my Nikon Monarch 6-24x50SF usually set to 24x. Load testing should be about the loads, not my eyes. For hunting, I have an older Tasco Euro Class 3-12x52 (30mm) usually set to 3. Very effective at dusk and dawn. They can still be found occasionally on Ebay.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gldnrtvr2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 am

I have a RAR in 450BM. Also have 2 Leupold 2×7 scopes one has a duplex reticle and other has the SABR reticle! Anyone have experience with the SABR with factory Hornady Black ammo? Leaning toward the SABR for the rangefinding ability.
gldnrtvr2

Postby ONE_MOA_OFF » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Hello All,
While I read this is a fairly new section, has anyone experimented with open turrets so they can adjust their D.O.P.E. to something beyond the invisible 450B wall of 300 YRDS?
No I do not have any personal data yet on drops; however from what I've read on the 'never lying internet' it seems to be fairly predictable with the large heavy projectile... I ask as I just built my first with 16" brl. and have yet to decide on glass. Although Hoot sounds like he is on to something @ 3x for dusk / dawn.
ONE_MOA_OFF

Postby Neil W » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:55 am

I have experience with the SABR with factory Hornady Black ammo.
Neil W

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster