nikon vs leupold

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

nikon vs leupold

Postby Hunter87 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Trying to decide been the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x33 shotgun and the Leupold Ultimateslam 2-7x33

I just looked through the Nikon and thought the circles in the bdc might not provide the desired precision.
I have a vx3 I love so I'm thinking I should spend the extra $ and get the Leupold.
I could be open to other scopes with bdc style reticle that quirk well with the 450bushmaster.
Hunter87

Re: nikon vs leupold

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:13 pm

I have a Leupold VX-R 3x9-40 mm with the Ballistic FireDot reticle on my 450 BM and a Nikon Prostaff 3x9-40mm with a BDC reticle on my Savage .30-06. Neither of these is the model you are interested in, but here is my experience. I think the 450BM is good to about 300 yards, before the bullet drop goes through the cellar. For that reason, a reticle that will allow you to range at 100, 200, and 300 yards pretty much covers the ground, so you don't need a lot of gradations in it. My Nikon is set up for the .30-06 and it has gradations out to 500 yards, which are spot on out to 400 yards, which is as far as I have shot it. That would be overkill for the BM.

Here is a link to the Leupold reticle - http://www.leupold.com/reticles/ballistic-firedot/. I sighted mine in at 200 yards. The top of the circle is the "hold-under" point for 50 and 100 yards, and the bottom horizontal mark is hold over for 300 yards. I couldn't find an image for the Nikon you are interested in, so I don't know what the reticle looks like.

I like the added magnification of the 3x9, but that is a personal preference. If your shooting shorter ranges, the 7x is enough and the 2x gives you a wider FOV for pigs, for example.

Hope this helps.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Jim, what diameter does that circle cover at 100yds?
Al in Mi

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Jim, what diameter does that circle cover at 100yds?

I have been doing something about the quail population in Mississippi for the past week or so, so I apologize for not responding sooner.

I am sighted in at 200 yards, and the "holdunder" at 100 yards is 4". I put the top of the circle on the aiming point on the target to get the bullet into the bullseye. That would mean the circle would cover 8" on the target. Does that make sense?
Jim in Houston

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:52 pm

sure does.

I'm looking for something fast and lighted for my yote rifle. Currently wears a Trijicon TR24 with a green triangle which I share with the 450B.
Al in Mi

Postby mioutdoor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:51 pm

I am looking at getting the leupold ultimate slam too. I was looking at both scopes in the title as well. I thought the cross hairs on the Leupold were clearer. I was wondering if the firedot was worth the extra money? Jim do you like the firedot compared to non illuminated scope?

Thanks,
Brian
Thanks,
Brian
mioutdoor

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Yes, I like the FireDot. I have shot the same target with and without the FireDot turned on, and my groups are better with the FireDot.

I did have some problems with the on / off switch. If you leave the batteries in, the rubber diaphragm inside the switch will "stretch" (that's the technical term), and you will have difficulty turning the FireDot on or off and / or adjusting the brightness. My field fix was to put a couple of small paper circles that I cut out inside the cap. That restored the pressure on the switch. The real fix was to call Leupold. They sent me a new cap, no questions asked.
Jim in Houston

Postby LegendInMyOwnMind » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Yes, I like the FireDot. I have shot the same target with and without the FireDot turned on, and my groups are better with the FireDot.

I did have some problems with the on / off switch. If you leave the batteries in, the rubber diaphragm inside the switch will "stretch" (that's the technical term), and you will have difficulty turning the FireDot on or off and / or adjusting the brightness. My field fix was to put a couple of small paper circles that I cut out inside the cap. That restored the pressure on the switch. The real fix was to call Leupold. They sent me a new cap, no questions asked.
I'll have to remember that. I have one too.
LegendInMyOwnMind

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm

LegendInMyOwnMind wrote:
Jim in Houston wrote:Yes, I like the FireDot. I have shot the same target with and without the FireDot turned on, and my groups are better with the FireDot.

I'll have to remember that. I have one too.

I now remove the batteries from the scope, whenever I store the rifle.
Jim in Houston

Postby mioutdoor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks for the replies and tips about the batteries. I ended up going with the Ultimate slam firedot. I ordered it from Midway Thursday morning and they had a deal with scopes and free shipping so I got home from work on Friday and it was waiting at the door step... quick service! Also, I used Midway's birthday special on the scope so I thought I got a decent deal on it. Now I am looking at drifferent mounts and rings for the scope.
Thanks,
Brian
mioutdoor

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster