Need help picking a scope

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Need help picking a scope

Postby hdryder » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:32 am

I picked up a 450 last fall and have yet to mount any optics on it because I just don't know what to do. I'm used to longer range shooting but we've recently switched from shooting prairie dogs to hogs. Where we hunt I'd guess a "long shot" might be 150 yards but that would be pushing it. I do have a couple of Eotechs that I could put one on there, but I think I'd like a little magnification. Would you think a 2 or 2.5 power scope be too much if the shot was closer to 25-30 yards? I don't want to spend the money and mount a scope that isn't as versatile as the rifle but I don't want to mount something that doesn't work for close shots either. Thanks for any help you can offer.
hdryder

Re: Need help picking a scope

Postby kottke_35 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 pm

You could easily get away with a 1-4 or 2-7ish range and not have your close shots compromised by too much magnification. I use a 2-7 Redfield on mine. I'm happy with it. Plenty of glass for 150 yard shooting but I can turn down to two power and shoot both eyes open in the brush.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:55 pm

I have Leopold CQB 1x4, which is several years old and was very pricey at the time. But I think that any quality red dot in the 1x4 range would be a good choice. The 450 is very good out to 200 yards in my opinion, and with the proper support and practice can reach out to 300 yards. But it really comes into its own in the ranges you expect to encounter.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BamBam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 am

I put a 2-7 scout set up on mine and if you leave them on 3 or so up close is not a problem as both eyes are always open.

I started using EER pistol scopes mounted on the ends of barrels (harmonics, what is harmonics?) back in the 70's as E I E I otechs had not yet been invented.

I run LR pistol scopes in Scout configuration on some flat tops, or EER pistol scopes out on the end of a full length free float quad rail on everything else.

Target acquisition at any distance is as fast or faster than a dot or holo , for me anyway.

Plus I never lose anything on the run or in brush as both eyes are always open.
Ted Nugent For President 2016

BamBam

Postby wildcatter » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:33 am

Your thinking, in my bailey-wick, is spot on.

Currently I'm evaluating this. http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mite ... 3-145IECDQ

Don't get me wrong you can use many and achieve great results & I do.

But when the ranges are close and you're hunting something dangerous (Moose, Bear, Pigs, etc) and it charges, and-and it's got murder on its mine. Low power is the trick.

So far, I like this scope on many fronts.

Here goes...

1). I shoot military High-Power. We use Zero-Mark1x-0 power eyeballs and Iron-Sights at 1000yds.
2). This scope is 1-4x. Walk around with it on 1x. Reserving the 4x for judging antler and such.
3). The 36 MOA Ghost ring is GREAT for quick kills on close range, from charging dangerous game.
4). The 1.8 MOA Dot works well on my 200yd range, for finer work at range.
5). Has an MSRP of $150.. Which means you'll pick it up at a discount house for $100 +-?? and comes with rings!!
6). Has better than average Glass (optics quality). Actually tremendous Quality.
7). Though it uses batteries to light the reticle and it is a lighted reticle with a huge of color schemes available. The battery life is "Tremendous"! Some may look at batteries as a weak link, but I for one don't. Especially with the long battery life and the fact this thing is designed for a spring gun.
8). Best of all, the scope and reticle, are designed for Spring Guns (pellet gun). Which, as we all know, are the worst type of guns for reticle survivability, meaning if it survives on a spring gun, then a shoulder fired 20mm ain't no trick! For the uninitiated the spring gun goes pong-pong, in opposing directions, which accounts for the bad effects of torsional stresses, meaning because it springs back and forth, the wear and tear on the reticles, far exceeds what a 450b or any other caliber will inflect on them!

So far, I like this scope allot. There are other features, at are well pronounced on this scope, but these are the main ones. And for dangerous game, and for money, will be hard to beat..

..t

PS..Don't be put-off with a 36MOA ghost ring, especially when something is trying to crawl up your leg and it 10yds away and you need a "QUICK" On-Target shot before it's too late!! ..t

EXAMPLE, for a low powered scope and a Hugh ghost ring, A.K.A. Circle Dot type, and a semi-auto with enough caliber, A.K.A. 450BUSHY!! ..t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNYwusa ... verified=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTQm4AU3caY

AND these things have been known to attack and kill humans..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8pxzawUGM

last but not least, these run more folks up trees than all the Bear attacks combined..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5jJz2HOnY
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby awp_101 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:15 pm

wildcatter wrote:Your thinking, in my bailey-wick, is spot on.

Currently I'm evaluating this. http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mite ... 3-145IECDQ

wildcatter, 9 months down the road, how is the Leapers holding up? Still impressed and worthy of recommendation?

Thanks!
awp_101

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster