ATN x sight 2

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby rob cullen » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:14 am

Hi Tex
Yep i picked up the wraith today and having a bit of a play with it atm while waiting for the dark , so far i think OK but thats me with zero experience with night vision stuff so i really have nothing to compare too.
Its a bit weird looking through digital screen but i was suprised how much i could see without IR torch just past dusk where i couldnt see jack through normal scope.
Yea all my guns are bolt except the Marlin as the good old Oz gov made me hand in my poor little 10/22 many years ago and that was semi auto days over for Australia Unless you have special permit.
The 308s are snappy suckers and seem similar to Bushy yet different with recoil, when i first got my 308 i shot off about 70 rounds the first day and i felt it for a few days after in my shoulder , i have put a brake on since but not so much for the recoil, more so so i can see paper target at long range when by myself. Before that i had no idea where impact was on paper due to the rifle jumping off target and found very frustrating and wasted a lot of ammo. I do have to admit though that i can put a lot more rounds through now in one sitting with the brake on - getting old and soft now
The BM is Savage 110 Wolverine with factory brake and i have no idea how effective it is - i have been meaning to try without brake to see the difference but havent got around to it yet
Anyhow mate its dark now so off to have a play with this scope and maybe get a couple shots off this weekend.
Keep ya posted
cheers
Rob
PS Post a couple pics of the Glocks- would luv to see some guns we are not allowed to have in Oz without BS restrictions
rob cullen

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm

Here’s the G44s. I’m still waiting on my G20 to ship.
68EB5000-5DB7-48D0-A698-2F0D60A524AF.jpeg
68EB5000-5DB7-48D0-A698-2F0D60A524AF.jpeg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 15878 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby rob cullen » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:10 am

Very nice, very jealous and hope you enjoy mate, let us know how they go.

Had a bit of a play with the wraith last night and pretty impressed with it so far (from the back door of shed with no rifle attached ) I didnt even know we had bats in our area until i saw them through scope!
I stuck it on Savage 110 today and may get a couple shots off tomorrow if the bloody missus stop asking me to do jobs!, i did have to pull all the spacers out of stock to get my eye on the rubber comfortably though , i will see how i go with some low recoil for starters and work up from there to see how scope handles it, knowing myself i will get used to it and put a normal round in and then scope myself - I reckon i got about 2'' of eye relief so see how i go.

Enjoy your weekend
Cheers
Rob
Attachments
bmnv2.jpg
bmnv2.jpg (55.49 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
bmnv1.jpg
bmnv1.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
rob cullen

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:41 am

Can’t wait to see what kind of videos you come up with. You are definitely going to have to post some YouTube videos here so we can see what it’s like to hunt down there. I’m kind of curious to see a kangaroo roll.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby rob cullen » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:48 am

Hi Tex, All
So far pretty pleased with the Wraith, had a few shots yesterday to sight in at about 80m and get a feel for it , i tried some some subs for starters with low recoil and all good, i loaded up some FTX 200g on Friday - bottom end but i ran with 39.5G of ADI 2205 ( H4227 i think ) and seemed way less recoil than a hotload slap from the 308 ,i worked out around 13 lb recoil from gordons reloading tool and seemed about right, the reticle zero is pretty cool and after working out i was doing it backwards it took like one shot to get on bull at 80, i also wasted several shots at first as i could not see impact as gun jumped - went back to 25 ish yards to see what was going on and it was miles out - 3 shots at 25 to rough zero and then 2 to get on bull at 80 and then another 2 to fine tune. didnt have much room for more than 80m where i was so hopefully i can stretch it out a bit more next weekend.
The cool thing i did find was that if i had just replayed the video when i was out there i would have seen bullet impact straight away as you can play back through the scope ( i saw this when i replayed when i got home so live and learn )
Im going to see if i can put all the video pics on one clip with the garbage removed - 80% of it, im not too switched on with this stuff but will see how i go.
Should be going next weekend for a hunt and will have a crack at filming.
Hope you guys are all good out there
Cheers
Rob
rob cullen

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:10 am

rob cullen wrote:Hi Tex, All
So far pretty pleased with the Wraith, had a few shots yesterday to sight in at about 80m and get a feel for it , i tried some some subs for starters with low recoil and all good, i loaded up some FTX 200g on Friday - bottom end but i ran with 39.5G of ADI 2205 ( H4227 i think ) and seemed way less recoil than a hotload slap from the 308 ,i worked out around 13 lb recoil from gordons reloading tool and seemed about right, the reticle zero is pretty cool and after working out i was doing it backwards it took like one shot to get on bull at 80, i also wasted several shots at first as i could not see impact as gun jumped - went back to 25 ish yards to see what was going on and it was miles out - 3 shots at 25 to rough zero and then 2 to get on bull at 80 and then another 2 to fine tune. didnt have much room for more than 80m where i was so hopefully i can stretch it out a bit more next weekend.
The cool thing i did find was that if i had just replayed the video when i was out there i would have seen bullet impact straight away as you can play back through the scope ( i saw this when i replayed when i got home so live and learn )
Im going to see if i can put all the video pics on one clip with the garbage removed - 80% of it, im not too switched on with this stuff but will see how i go.
Should be going next weekend for a hunt and will have a crack at filming.
Hope you guys are all good out there
Cheers
Rob

I got your email. If you can put your footage on a thumb drive or an SD card, just mail that to me and I can edit and produce it here. Check your email. I replied to yours.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:17 am

I finally got my Glock G20SF 10mm yesterday. I like it. I shot it a bit this morning after work and I’m not sure I can really tell a difference in recoil between the G20 in 10 mm and the G21in 45ACP. There might be just a hair more snappiness in the 10mm. But without shooting them side by side I’m just not sure and I think I’m gonna have to do a side by side comparison bench shoot to really be able to tell. Oh well. Sounds like another project. The nice thing is that the G20SF fits in all of my G21 leather and poly holsters that I currently use.
98B173F4-60B9-4AF0-BC9B-0502278B59DD.jpeg
98B173F4-60B9-4AF0-BC9B-0502278B59DD.jpeg (751.3 KiB) Viewed 15275 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby rob cullen » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:01 pm

Very nice mate
Hey, is there much difference in recoil between 9mm , 357 and 10mm

I will get some footage together over the next few weeks of the Wraith on the Bushy and send through to you.

Thanks
Rob
rob cullen

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:34 pm

rob cullen wrote:Very nice mate
Hey, is there much difference in recoil between 9mm , 357 and 10mm

I will get some footage together over the next few weeks of the Wraith on the Bushy and send through to you.

Thanks
Rob

The 10 definitely does have more recoil than the 9 mm, 40, and if I remember correctly the 357 sig. It’s been decades since I shot the 357 Sig. but I’m still unsure about comparing the 10mm to the 45ACP recoil. In my initial encounter, I couldn’t tell much difference. Too soon right now though. I want to shoot them side by side.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby rob cullen » Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 am

Thanks mate for the info

Update on Wraith, took it hunting on weekend with bottom end loads with 200 ftx , very mild recoil and the scope handled it fine , i did put 3 warm loads with 300 xtp through it and the scope was fine.

I did find the digital scope was a pain in the ass though for hunting in tight spots that were darkly shaded after adjusting from bright sunlight and it simply took too long too focus on game and see the target properly, to the point where i missed quite a few shots
My 1-4 x 32 is back on the BM for day time hunting
To the wraiths credit though it was fine in open fields and on full zoom you could see stuff pretty well at 1000m ( pretty pixelated but could easy make out target ) not shooting - just looking.
I am impressed with the night time vision after playing with it a bit but have not been hunting at night.
For the money it is a pretty cool bit of gear but for day time use i found you cant beat a normal scope, hopefully soon get to do some night hunting
Cheers
Rob
Attachments
hawke bm.jpg
hawke bm.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 13566 times
rob cullen

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster