ATN x sight 2

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby earlwb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 am

I mounted one of the ATN X-Sight II units onto my Bushmaster rifle. I and going pig hunting soon and the piggies are nocturnal, so it figures you want to hunt them at night. Anyway it has more features than I know what to do with so far. Wifi, GPS, range finding, ballistics and advising you on how much to hold over etc. The recoil activated video is pretty neat too. You don't need to fret over pushing the record button, etc. But everything seems Ok with it though. I didn't have any problems with it. Before I mounted it I was outside at night playing around with it and I was quite pleasantly surprised as to how well it worked in the dark, with and without the IR flashlight being on. If it is relatively bright outside, with stars and the moon out, you just about don't need the IR flashlight. But the flashlight does light up the shadowed areas though. Getting it focused was quite easy too, even with me wearing glasses. I do like the way they sight the scope in or zero it. One could do a quick one shot zero if they do it carefully.

One thing though, is when you take it away from your eye, that eye is seeing pitch black for a short while until night vision catches up with the eye. So you'll be blind in one eye momentarily.

I think it could have used an offset rail mount. So that you could move it back a little farther as needed. With some rifles you have not be able to get it back far enough to work just right. Also the rail mount is a little short in length. With some rifles, they have a split rail mount setup and you can't cross the gap with the short mount on the scope. So if they make a full length one piece rail mount, you would need to get one for those rifles. I was going to put it on my .308 Win Bolt rifle, but the split two piece mount rails are too far apart. So the scope is now on my Bushmaster rifle instead.

They aren't too far off from having the scope automatically adjust your hold over for the range determined to the target. Right now it isn't quite there, but it can assist you a lot though. Maybe in the next version they come out with.
earlwb
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby rob cullen » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi all
I have been tossing up the idea of trying one of these ATNs , any reports on these have held up to Bushy recoil over time - i see the last post was a few years ago so any feedback would be interesting.
Thanks
Rob
rob cullen
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 am
Location: West Australia

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:46 am

rob cullen wrote:Hi all
I have been tossing up the idea of trying one of these ATNs , any reports on these have held up to Bushy recoil over time - i see the last post was a few years ago so any feedback would be interesting.
Thanks
Rob

I already went down that road. It’s a big NOPE. NONE of ATNs products are rated above a 308. And that’s applied as bullet caliber. Not the 308 Win cartridge. They cannot take the recoil and ATN won’t cover the warranty if you mount it on a 450 Bushmaster. They are rated only to a 308 caliber projectile.
If you’re gonna go thermal, go with Pulsar. If you want Night vision go with Photon. They are all rated to a 375H&H. (6000Jules)
ATNs policy is ridiculous. Their customer service is worse. You literally have to climb the chain of command ladder in customer service to get any kind of reasonable resolution.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby rob cullen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:34 am

Hi Tex
Cheers for the reply and it looks like you have saved me a thousand bucks and as well as that from me learning this the hard way which is pretty normal.
I will have a look at your suggestions and probably fire a couple more questions at you. Gotta go now as im in the poop with the missus, promised id mow the lawn today but opted to do some reloading in the shed instead , shes not a happy camper now lol.
Owe you a beer mate for your advice, or some of my 70% mouthwash - id go the beer haha
Stay safe
Thanks
Rob
rob cullen
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 am
Location: West Australia

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:43 pm

rob cullen wrote:Hi Tex
Cheers for the reply and it looks like you have saved me a thousand bucks and as well as that from me learning this the hard way which is pretty normal.
I will have a look at your suggestions and probably fire a couple more questions at you. Gotta go now as im in the poop with the missus, promised id mow the lawn today but opted to do some reloading in the shed instead , shes not a happy camper now lol.
Owe you a beer mate for your advice, or some of my 70% mouthwash - id go the beer haha
Stay safe
Thanks
Rob


I’ll be around for a few days. :geek:
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby rob cullen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Hi Tex / All
Having a look at this Sightmark Wraith , newer version of Photon i guess
So far reviews look good on you tube from what i can see - still says 308 max calibre HMMMM
Anyone had experience with these
Cheers
Rob
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (81.34 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
rob cullen
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 am
Location: West Australia

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:41 am

rob cullen wrote:Hi Tex / All
Having a look at this Sightmark Wraith , newer version of Photon i guess
So far reviews look good on you tube from what i can see - still says 308 max calibre HMMMM
Anyone had experience with these
Cheers
Rob


The thing about the 450 bushmaster is that you’re going to want to use it in the daytime too. If you buy a night vision scope, it’s going to have to be digital and it must be dual mode where you can use it in the daytime too. I thought long and hard about this. And that’s why the X Sight II seemed the proper solution. Up until I realized it was rated for a 308. And I guarantee you, if it comes apart, ATN is going to require you to prove what gun it was on. Back to the original comment, using daytime and nighttime? That’s why I went with pulsar XP 38 trail. It’s rated for the recoil of a 375 H&H or 6000 Jueles.
The 450Bushmaster could never generate that kind of recoil. At the most it’s gonna kick about like a 20 gauge. Plus, being a thermal rifle scope, I can use it in the daytime or night time. Plus it has onboard recording with sound and you can hook up an external power supply to extend the battery life. And you don’t need any external light sources. Plus the muzzle flash does not blind thermal the way it does night vision.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby rob cullen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:49 am

Thanks Tex
Yea i had a look at this one yesterday and its good for daytime use as well , still rated for 308 max though and weighs as much as a house brick
I also had a look at the Pulsar XP 38 on the web and its well over 5k in Oz which would be an instant divorce for me if the Sheriff found out haha
My thoughts atm are that i will probably dumb down reloads to around 12 -13 ft/pound recoill value which for what im hunting will be more than adequate knockdown with BM
My 308 im using for target stuff out about 800 metres so far, thoroughly enjoying it atm and dont want to mess with the setup, the 357 marlin lever would practically be the best choice for what im doing but - i will not put a scope on it full stop.
That leaves me 22lr and Bushy so im going to have a crack at the wraith on the BM , if it explodes and fails i will let you know and when you say i told you so i will probably not respond for a couple of days until i have stopped crying
Good to chat with you mate
Take care
Rob
rob cullen
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:48 am
Location: West Australia

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:11 am

plant_one wrote:i dunno if i'd trust it on a bolt gun, but if its rated for 308 - in an AR platform the recoil is going to be similar for the 450 or less than 308 bolt gun recoil with all but the heaviest of loads.

i can tell you from first hand experience - 300 gr bullets with max powder charges is more like being behind a light (gun) 12 gauge running 3" magnum slugs than it is being behind a bolt action 30-06 or 270.


Speaking on AR's, yesterday I function tested a 16" 308 with 168gr Federals with no scope or muzzle device, said to self dam that was snappy.

then grabbed my Ross braked 16" Bushey with her pet top end 300gr load and dumped 4rds off, no comparison to the 308's recoil, so made note to self to send Ross check in the morning for 308 brake.

Rob, guessing your running a bolt gun down there, but if you put a good brake on it, it should tame her down below a 308 recoil wise.
User avatar
Al in Mi
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: ATN x sight 2

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:16 pm

rob cullen wrote:Thanks Tex
Yea i had a look at this one yesterday and its good for daytime use as well , still rated for 308 max though and weighs as much as a house brick
I also had a look at the Pulsar XP 38 on the web and its well over 5k in Oz which would be an instant divorce for me if the Sheriff found out haha
My thoughts atm are that i will probably dumb down reloads to around 12 -13 ft/pound recoill value which for what im hunting will be more than adequate knockdown with BM
My 308 im using for target stuff out about 800 metres so far, thoroughly enjoying it atm and dont want to mess with the setup, the 357 marlin lever would practically be the best choice for what im doing but - i will not put a scope on it full stop.
That leaves me 22lr and Bushy so im going to have a crack at the wraith on the BM , if it explodes and fails i will let you know and when you say i told you so i will probably not respond for a couple of days until i have stopped crying
Good to chat with you mate
Take care
Rob

Who knows man. It may be okay. Just won’t be in Warranty. I have a Marlin 336 30-30win. Tried using it with a scope for a few years and finally decided it was stupid to put a scope on a lever action so I took it off.
I went to the store today and bought two Glocks. Both the G44 22 Long Rifle. One is black and the other has the tan frame. I’m really liking the feel of this babies. I’m function testing them both right now.
Good luck with the Wraith. Keep us posted.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests