Needing Some optic help

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Needing Some optic help

Postby plant_one » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

getting into something that's like 1-8x of any quality is going to be REEEEELY expensive. in general the further you stretch the magnification range on an optic, the more the $$ goes up.

most optics have a 3x or 4x optic adjustment - for example a 3-9x or a 3-12x. 5x is relatively common (2-10x) and there are some 6x range (3-18x, or 1-6x) for example) readily available on the market. probably the best 1-6 you're gonna get at a reasonable budget would be a vortex strike eagle 1-6x at around $330 that was mentioned by Jim.

primary arms makes a 1-8x24mm that's a shade under $400, but when most of the competition in that realm is $1500 and up - even primary arms premium version of the same scope is $1300 - well corners had to be cut somewhere. I cant tell you if that's in glass, or internals, or what... but that amount of $$ don't disappear for nothing. I'm not familiar enough with the line to tell you which features its lacking or not. some homework on google should be able to fill in the blanks though.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/primary-arm ... scope.html

what will be truly helpful to us - what is your budget to scope this gun?
plant_one

Postby jgilesg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 am

Hey guys
Just an FYI. I bought a Nikon Pro Staff Slug hunter 2X7 about 11 months ago for my AR 450. It didn't seem to hold zero well and I shot my sons 450 far more accurately than mine. He has a Leupold SA.B.R 3X9X40. I think the 3X9 is a bit much for the gun, I'd prefer a 2X7 but his seemed to shoot really well.
We were up in the mountains last weekend fishin and shootin and I noticed on my Nikon, the O ring holding the lens in the front of the Nikon blew out and was hanging out of the scope. I had ordered it on Amazon and after talking with them, there is no return through Amazon and I need to go direct to Nikon. Wish me luck.
I ordered the Leupold. For the price (I cant afford the high end stuff) and what I am using it for, (paper and pigs at 100 yards + or -) it should do the trick.

Thanks
JG
jgilesg

Postby jgilesg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 am

I have the Primary arms scope BDC for 7.62X39 on my AR-47. It works well and I like the scope. The only downside I would consider is, it is pretty busy for a hunting scope. The little features such as, a very basic range finder and windage compensation is kind of cool as well. It even has a dot for lead that is used for an average human running at full speed and 100 yards. That I'm sure could be used for hunting as well.
JG
jgilesg

Postby pauleberly » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have actually been in a long drawn out conversation with vortex about some of their scopes, and we are basically fine tuning the details.

I do appreciate all the help!
pauleberly

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 pm

jgilesg wrote:Hey guys
Just an FYI. I bought a Nikon Pro Staff Slug hunter 2X7 about 11 months ago for my AR 450. It didn't seem to hold zero well and I shot my sons 450 far more accurately than mine. He has a Leupold SA.B.R 3X9X40. I think the 3X9 is a bit much for the gun, I'd prefer a 2X7 but his seemed to shoot really well.
We were up in the mountains last weekend fishin and shootin and I noticed on my Nikon, the O ring holding the lens in the front of the Nikon blew out and was hanging out of the scope. I had ordered it on Amazon and after talking with them, there is no return through Amazon and I need to go direct to Nikon. Wish me luck.
I ordered the Leupold. For the price (I cant afford the high end stuff) and what I am using it for, (paper and pigs at 100 yards + or -) it should do the trick.

Thanks
JG

I just had a problem with my Nikon ProStaff, which I bought in late 2014 as part of a Savage rifle package. The zoom stopped working and the windage wouldn't adjust after 100 rounds or so of .30-06. I called them first - got right through - and they told me to send it in. I completed the form on the Nikon website and mailed my scope off with my receipt and warranty card (neither of which the guy on the phone said were really required, since I had registered my scope and they had the record of the serial number), and I got an email acknowledgment that they had the scope in the shop for repair / replacement. You can check status on their website periodically, but that will only tell you if it is still in the shop or has been shipped back. The warranty is good for life.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the Nikon repair process. Give them a call.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby jgilesg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Wow thanks some good news Jim
Thanks for the info.
The problem I have now is, I need a new gun to put the Nikon on when I get it repaired.
Oh well, its a tough job but I guess I'll have to do it, I cant leave the Nikon laying around without something to sit on.
JG
jgilesg

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:43 am

jgilesg wrote:Wow thanks some good news Jim
Thanks for the info.
The problem I have now is, I need a new gun to put the Nikon on when I get it repaired.
Oh well, its a tough job but I guess I'll have to do it, I cant leave the Nikon laying around without something to sit on.
JG

I shipped my Nikon scope on June 21st and got it back on July 1st, so they had it about two weeks. They cleaned the lens element, replaced the nitrogen, checked the elevation adjustment, adjusted the collimation, did a recoil test, then repaired the zooming mechanism. All of this was under warranty.

Ii also found out that it is a Buckmaster, rather than a ProStaff, which I had assumed it was, since I purchased it as part of a package.

Anyway, it looks like new. Will check it out at the range shortly.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby pauleberly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:46 pm

NIkon does have great customer service and warranty.

I wont buy a scope that does not have a no B.S lifetime warranty
pauleberly

Postby PJames » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm

I have a 16" barrel as well, I have a 3x9 Nikon bdc and love it. I thought I was going to hate the open circle bdc but after shooting out to 315 yards, I am hooked on them. Awesome scope for 89 bucks I got on sale. Reg price is like 150 I think but I would pay that in a heart beat. Very clear scope. I may add I am a die hard Leupold man but this is every bit as clear as a VXII.
"One Good Shot--Is All I Need."
PJames

Previous

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster