Needing Some optic help

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Needing Some optic help

Postby pauleberly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I have a 16 inch upper. I will primarily use this for a hunting gun. The occasional deer, but also pig and bear. My usual hunting range is only around 20-50 yards.

So with that being said, I do not really want a full length scope. I want a smaller tube. These are the 2 scopes that I have just randomly narrowed down to, but I am not set on any of them. They are both a little higher priced than what I would like, but both offer what I would need. I would really like to keep magnification on, which is why I think its driving the price up.

First one is a vortex Spitfire. Life time no BS warranty. I have a vortex on my .308 and love it, fine company. It has a fixed 3x zoom, which I am not sure would be to much magnification at 20 yards. It also has a make your own offer going on, so I could get it for cheaper

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-spit ... ticle.html

2nd one up is a Burris ar-332. Have a burris on my 454 casull and love it. Great company, no bs life time warranty as well. Also a fixed 3x magnification. Where this scope has me at, its also a make your own offer, and comes with a 299$ Fast fire 3. I could use that on other guns, or even mount it on the ar-332. Then I would have 3x magnification from 20-50 yards, and I could use the red dot from 0-20 yards and be covered.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-ar-3 ... sight.html

The bad, I have heard a lot of reviews about the cross hairs being canted. I have not called up burris and asked if this problem has been fixed, but that would bug me. Now at a 50 yard shot tops, I don't think it will really end up mattering, but I am not going to pay that kind of money for something that is not up to 100% specs.

So let me know what you guys think, either on these two scopes or any other scopes. I am all ears, thanks for you time!
pauleberly

Re: Needing Some optic help

Postby pauleberly » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Anyone have any ideas? While I do want a smaller style scope, a full fledged hunting scope for about 200 yards would also work? I would think for around 300-350$ you could get a great piece of glass that only needs to be good for 200 yards
pauleberly

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Paul, I held off answering your initial question since neither I nor anyone I know, who uses a 450b, has such a small scope. A few use 1x holographinc sights. I did follow your link and that is pretty compact. A lot of members use a 2-7 or a 3-9 power scope on their 450b. They are not compact, but they're not monsters like the 6-24x50 I have on mine for load workup. When I hunt, that gets taken off and my 3-12x42 gets mounted. There are some really good choices in 3-9 and 3-12 power scopes in the price range you are looking to stay within. There are several 3-9 versions out there that have holdover dots on the bottom half of the vertical recticle, that allow aiming further away without resorting to "Kentucky Windage" and they are popular with the members here. They don't break the bank either.

WRT what you said in another thread, not all Nikon scopes are junk. I have 3 Nikon Monarchs and they are not only excellent glass, but return to zero is spot on and all three of them have done duty on my 450b. Both of the above-mentioned scopes I shoot regularly on my two 450b's are Nikon Monarchs. The 6-24x50 has seen over 1000 450b rounds and is still running like a top! I suspect that some of the less expensive Nikon models may not perform, but you can't paint the entire Nikon product line with the same brush. I don't have a high regard for Tasco scopes since they stopped making them in Japan, but I do own a Tasco Euro-Class 3-12x52. That's what's on my other 450b, come hunting season. It is built like a tank and has excellent light gathering capability for those dawn and dusk moments. Read some of the threads in this sub-forum. Many brands of scopes for the 450b are discussed at great length.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pauleberly » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Hoot wrote:Paul, I held off answering your initial question since neither I nor anyone I know, who uses a 450b, has such a small scope. A few use 1x holographinc sights. I did follow your link and that is pretty compact. A lot of members use a 2-7 or a 3-9 power scope on their 450b. They are not compact, but they're not monsters like the 6-24x50 I have on mine for load workup. When I hunt, that gets taken off and my 3-12x42 gets mounted. There are some really good choices in 3-9 and 3-12 power scopes in the price range you are looking to stay within. There are several 3-9 versions out there that have holdover dots on the bottom half of the vertical recticle, that allow aiming further away without resorting to "Kentucky Windage" and they are popular with the members here. They don't break the bank either.

WRT what you said in another thread, not all Nikon scopes are junk. I have 3 Nikon Monarchs and they are not only excellent glass, but return to zero is spot on and all three of them have done duty on my 450b. Both of the above-mentioned scopes I shoot regularly on my two 450b's are Nikon Monarchs. The 6-24x50 has seen over 1000 450b rounds and is still running like a top! I suspect that some of the less expensive Nikon models may not perform, but you can't paint the entire Nikon product line with the same brush. I don't have a high regard for Tasco scopes since they stopped making them in Japan, but I do own a Tasco Euro-Class 3-12x52. That's what's on my other 450b, come hunting season. It is built like a tank and has excellent light gathering capability for those dawn and dusk moments. Read some of the threads in this sub-forum. Many brands of scopes for the 450b are discussed at great length.

Hoot

I hope I did not give the impression that I felt all Nikons were junk. I am very limited to scope knowledge and nikons in general. I have had two of them, a nikon force and a prostaff. The prostaff worked well on my 308 but past 200 yards, it was lacking. My nikon force got manhandled by my 454 casull. When I asked about scoped on a hunting force, the general murmur was that the nikon in my price range / the ones I picked where not up to cut, I should have specified better.

I am almost changing my mind about the pyramid style scope. I just not not want a giant "hunting" scope , also because I doubt this gun will ever see past 100 yards (if that) I have come to realise, I can probably get more scope for my money from a traditional hunting scope than a fancy style red dot and such. I have also been looking into bushnell elites and trophy's.
pauleberly

Postby plant_one » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 am

if you want something a little smaller than a traditional scope, but with decent glass, an unbeatable warranty, and good functionality you might want to consider one of the vortex ar-style scopes

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... dc-reticle

I've got one of those on my ar-pistol and its awesome little optic and they retail for under $200

just a thought :)
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 pm

the 1.5-4.5 Weaver Classic Extremes are a nice piece of glass, Natches usually has a sale on them $200ish. The German #4 gives you a very big uncluttered view and with the illumination turned on is very fast handling.

Millets 1-4 DMS is another one I've used, seen they have a 1-6 now.

both of those are 30mm tubes.
Al in Mi

Postby pauleberly » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:58 pm

plant_one wrote:if you want something a little smaller than a traditional scope, but with decent glass, an unbeatable warranty, and good functionality you might want to consider one of the vortex ar-style scopes

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... dc-reticle

I've got one of those on my ar-pistol and its awesome little optic and they retail for under $200

just a thought :)

Now that I like. I was looking up some of those, and I think they have a 4x16 that would suit me just fine!
pauleberly

Postby plant_one » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I kinda like the adjustable. with it beint 1.75-5x it lets you stay down low for close in quick work, but at 5x you can get a little magnification for longer distance stuff.

to each their own though. nothing wrong with a fixed power, just not *my* thing :)
plant_one

Postby pauleberly » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 am

You absoluytely right. I was just wondering if they made a scope that was 1-9x or anything like that lol. Since most of all my hunting is well 75 yards (closer to 20-50), having a fixed 4x zoom would probably be to much zoom at closer distances.
pauleberly

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Here is a 1-6x 24 "tactical" scope from Vortex - http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-strike-eagle-scope-1-6x24-ar-bdc-reticle.html. There is a slightly cheaper SightMark 1-6x 24 sope from Optics Planet also. You give up some light gathering capability, which may be significant for a hunting application. Everything in the 40 - 50 mm range seems to be 3-9x at best.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Next

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster