Sighting in 450 bushmaster

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Sighting in 450 bushmaster

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:16 am

plant_one wrote:the 300 xtp mag (Hornady Item #45235 ) is one of the heavy thumping bullets for this caliber.

you'll find load data in hornady's 9th on page 644 for it.

max loads of lilgun in my 20" upper were just a smidge over 2000 FPS, but accuracy was minute of garbage can. at around a smidge over 1800 fps they were grouping ok.

that 2000 FPS load will let you know you're behind a big bore ar :mrgreen:

I run 1680 a bit above book with that bullet and my 16" factory and buddys 18" Gryphon barrels just stacks them. Have no clue on speed yet, Ross's brake tames the thump a bunch thou.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:34 am

ya i'm sure my ross helps, they were manageable, but by far the stoutest rounds i'd fired in the gun to date is all :)
plant_one

Postby pauleberly » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Any clue to why the accuracy was bad with the larger bullet? I had been thinking about reloading the 450 bushmaster, but I am pretty sure it will take down any type of animal I could imagine to shoot at. Here in eastern TN the biggest animals are black bear and the new re-released elk program
pauleberly

Postby plant_one » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:37 pm

pauleberly wrote:Any clue to why the accuracy was bad with the larger bullet? I had been thinking about reloading the 450 bushmaster, but I am pretty sure it will take down any type of animal I could imagine to shoot at. Here in eastern TN the biggest animals are black bear and the new re-released elk program

if you're referring to my 300 gr load...

its a short fat bullet with a hollow point you can fit small animals into :mrgreen:

humor aside, every bullet has its sweet spot that it likes to run in. in my gun as noted around 1800 was the magic zone.

and i mean really - if a 454 casull will kill with that bullet a couple hundred FPS slower, at 1800 its going to be a whomper on anything you punch it into :)
plant_one

Postby pauleberly » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 pm

so is it just that the bullet cannot stabilize at the higher fps?

I am just curious because most people that reload try and push the round as high as possible, and it seems like a lot of people are making this one a little bit less than factory?

Is it just because this round has so much potential to kill at even a lower than factory load that its better just to make it easier on the shoulder?
pauleberly

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:49 pm

You also have to keep in mind the rifle twist of each individual rifle. The heavier bullets do better with the faster twists. But this also increases PSI, so you really need to be mindful of who's shooting what loads in what rifles. I've already noticed that my 230 grain FMJs loaded for my AR are screaming out of my single action and bolt action rifles that have the 1:16 twist rate. And they are showing some considerable pressure signs. Think on this. A 230 grain FMJ at 2700+ feet per second. That's not just meeting the TKO factor of the 375 H&H..... that's screaming insanely past it. And the pressure signs were equally frightening. So always consider the twist rates and factor in the faster twist rate is going to raise pressures.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:00 am

My experience with my 1:24 twist barrels and either 300gr or 325gr (resized 458) bullets was that the groups tightened up the higher I clocked them. While that is associated with higher RPM's, I don't think it is always the deciding factor. They might just like a particular charge, that just so happens to create a faster running load. Optimum Charge Weight is covered in articles by Dan Newberry and Chris
Long.

The need for a faster twist is usually associated with longer bullets, not necessarily heavier bullets. Of course, longer bullets more often than not weight more.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 am

Hoot wrote:My experience with my 1:24 twist barrels and either 300gr or 325gr (resized 458) bullets was that the groups tightened up the higher I clocked them. While that is associated with higher RPM's, I don't think it is always the deciding factor. They might just like a particular charge, that just so happens to create a faster running load. Optimum Charge Weight is covered in articles by Dan Newberry and Chris
Long.

The need for a faster twist is usually associated with longer bullets, not necessarily heavier bullets. Of course, longer bullets more often than not weight more.

Hoot

Yes. Well I'm just going by what happened when I shot my 2500FPS 230 Grain FMJs loaded for the 20" AR in my single shot New Englander which has a 1:16 twist. It may not be the weight which is like you said. It's just that all that "Oomff" needed to cycle the action in the AR 1:24 20" barrel is "a bit too much" as Mr Gummer would say, for the 1:16" bolt actions and single shots. And the pressure signs and difficulty extracting the spent brass confirmed that. The 2700 FPS and muzzle flash spoke volumes as well. :o
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby dantheman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Use the Hornady ballistic calculator as someone has previously suggested. I usually sight in for the longest shot that I could have within the capabilities of my rifle.

My 358 Win BLR is sighted to about 150 yds.
270 WSM is sighted in at 250 yds .
7x57 Mauser is sighted in at 200 yds.

I've made 50 yard shots with all of them. I think a 100 yard zero with a 450 Bushmaster will be a piece of cake in the deep woods.

Dan
dantheman

Postby pauleberly » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:07 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:You also have to keep in mind the rifle twist of each individual rifle. The heavier bullets do better with the faster twists. But this also increases PSI, so you really need to be mindful of who's shooting what loads in what rifles. I've already noticed that my 230 grain FMJs loaded for my AR are screaming out of my single action and bolt action rifles that have the 1:16 twist rate. And they are showing some considerable pressure signs. Think on this. A 230 grain FMJ at 2700+ feet per second. That's not just meeting the TKO factor of the 375 H&H..... that's screaming insanely past it. And the pressure signs were equally frightening. So always consider the twist rates and factor in the faster twist rate is going to raise pressures.

I have a factory 450 bushmaster upper with a 16 inch barrel. What is the twist rate?

Faster twist means the bullet accelerates out of the gun faster, causing a greater velocity? Wouldn't you want a fairly high twist rate then?

And when you mention the TKO factor, that is the potential killing factor that a bullet has upon an animal correct?

And when you mention 230grain bullet at 2700+ fps, that is at the muzzle correct? I am assuming (but do not know) that muzzle velocity and the velocity at lets say 75 yards is much different. If we are killing animals at 75 yards, wouldn't we want the bullet to be traveling at a faster velocity at 75 yards to have more energy when it collides with said animal for more foot pounds of energy?
pauleberly

PreviousNext

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster