Scope mount for AR.

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Scope mount for AR.

Postby skinner 2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 pm

What mounts are you guys using on your AR's. I have two set uo with the Nikon two piece bases and was thinking of the same for my 450BM. I'm kinda leary though as each ring has only two screws to attach the top half. These rings have some high reviews and some are using them on large cal AR's. I also do not want a high ring these are 1.4 center tube to top of rail. I could even go a tad lower. The two piece mount will also allow me to mount the Caldwell brass catcher

Your thoughts?

Skinner

Ps I searched but didn't find much information on mounts rings here. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place :? :roll:
skinner 2

Re: Scope mount for AR.

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 am

I'm in the minority here as many members like the Burris PEPR mount, but I use Burris Signature Zee mounts on all my rifles that have picatinny or weaver rails. A few have Leupold turn-in mounts. they use the Burris Signature rings. Have somewhere in the vicinity of 10 sets on different rifles. The inserts protect my scope tubes from getting marred and when properly torqued down, the scopes don't drift from recoil. On my ARs I use Yankee Hill Machine risers as needed to get the proper cheek weld from my A1 and A2 stocks.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am

i use a two piece mount, the nikon P series rings, so that i've got room on my rail for the Caldwell piticanny mount brass catcher.

with a one peice mount like a PEPR, there's a significnt chance of not being able to mount the brass catcher.

if thats not a concern, the PEPR sure is a nice mount system for the $
plant_one

Postby earlwb » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:33 pm

They do make a brass catcher that uses a wrap around velcro strap too. If I remember right Caldwell makes it too. I have been using it to good effect. You want to put something on the metal bracket though, so that it doesn't scratch the hand guard.
earlwb

Postby plant_one » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 pm

earlwb wrote:They do make a brass catcher that uses a wrap around velcro strap too. If I remember right Caldwell makes it too. I have been using it to good effect. You want to put something on the metal bracket though, so that it doesn't scratch the hand guard.

those velcro on style brass catchers arent worth the velcro they use to attach them to your guns.

get more than a few shots into them, and the weight of the brass pulls the bag down and against the ejection port in the upper, effectively turning your gun into a single shot from then until you empty the bag.

the pict rail mounted version however, has a metal cage in it that supports the bag away from the ejection port so that it wont cause a failure to eject. it'll hold well over 100 pcs of 223 brass and not cause problems. i have yet to be able to get it to fail.

been there, done that, threw the velcro turd away.
plant_one

Postby ScottyPotty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:59 pm

I use a Larue LT104
ScottyPotty

Postby teddy_d » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:04 pm

My BM450 has the Nikon P mounts, approximately 2.6”/66mm center of bore to center of optic (nikon P223 3x32). Each shooter has particular or individual requirements to have a proper and comfortable shooting position so what works for me might not work for you.

I’ve shot 240 rounds and have experienced zero problems.
I’m low budget, low maintenance.

Maybe this helps you or someone else.
teddy_d

Postby ak47lover » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:03 am

Nikon Optics will always be the best in my opinion.

http://www.e-arms.com/aero-precision-ar ... zed-black/
Last edited by ak47lover on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ak47lover

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 pm

In order to get adequate eye relief, I recommend a cantilever mount like the Burris PEPR. Nikon has the P-series mounts and Vortex makes one, too. The scope should not extend beyond the charging handle, or you are in danger of getting clipped between the eyes on recoil.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster