New scopes for my Bushmasters

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

New scopes for my Bushmasters

Postby CJP1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 am

I sold my Leupold VX2 3-9x40mm CDS that was on my RAR for what I paid for it. I replaced it with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mm with BDC reticle as I wanted more magnification and simplification. It has no extra knobs or dials to play with. I also sold my Swift Premier 4-12X40mm AO that I had on my CVA Scout as it didn't give me enough eye relief. I replaced it with a Nikon Prostaff 5 side focus 3.5-14x50mm with illuminated BDC reticle. My RAR rifle is my carry rifle so I wanted to keep it light in weight. My CVA Scout is my sitting rifle so I don't mind it being heavier. I wanted something which would gather more light at dusk and dawn as well as be able to see reticle at those times. I have side focus on two other rifles and like it better than on the objective bell.
CJP1

Re: New scopes for my Bushmasters

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 am

I'm slowly replacing my sitting guns with Leo's VXR 3-9's. I'm not a fan of Nikons BDC, prefer plain ole duplex and then hold over as needed.

Once I do a little brush clearing this spring, about 250yds will be the farthest shot I will have, but most times it's 150 and under where the deer normally come out.
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:16 am

ive hunted with vortex diamondback 4-12x40's for a couple years now. i have them on several rifles.

they do just fine in low light conditions right at dawn/dusk. I hunt in the woods with a large hill to my west, so it gets dark back there well before the guys on the field are ready to bail. i usually end up sitting pretty much waiting out the last 10-15 mins of legal hunting time so i dont disturb them.

while its nearly impossible to see at those evening conditons with the naked eye - i can use my scope and end up being albe to see well enough right thru full hunting time.

you should be GTG with that one for sure.

i'm with Al - the Nikon BDC sucks. WAYYYYY to busy. the Vortex BDC is much simpler. way less clutter to look at.
plant_one

Postby CJP1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:29 pm

I looked at both the Vortex Diamondback and the Nikon Prostaff 5. I chose the Nikon because of the upper magnification is 14 and the Vortex is only 10 with a 50mm objective lens which I wanted for low light conditions. It also has the side focus so I can still use my medium Burris Signature Zee rings to mount the scope as low as possible. The Nikon also has an illuminated red or green dot which will also be helpful in low light conditions.
CJP1

Postby swampbug » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:35 pm

I PUT A SWIFT ON MINE 450 FROM A GUY HERE WORKS WELL NOW TO SIGHT IT IN SOON I HOPE
swampbug

Postby CJP1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm

After going to the range and finding out that my Nikon scope slid ahead even though I had the screws torqued correctly. I swapped out the Nikon for a new lighter Athlon Talos 4-16x40. It weighs a little over half of what the Nikon weighs. I'm seeing a trend here with both my CVA Scout and my Ruger American Ranch. They both have to have lighter scopes to keep them from sliding ahead in the rings.
CJP1

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster