VX-Freedom 3-9x40 Bottomed out the turret

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 Bottomed out the turret

Postby Bucks3009 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:25 pm

I have your VX-Freedom 3-9x40 450 Bushmaster edition, I am using the Hornady Black round the CDS is designed for and I am using a Warne 20 MOA 1 piece mount. My problem is that I can't get a zero at 100 yards. I have the optic bottomed out in the down position with no way of getting anymore down and I am about 24+ inches high at 100yds. I have also used a Warne 0 MOA 1 piece mount and was 6 inches high at 50 yards. I am not sure what else to do and thought maybe you guys could help. Thank you in advance for your help.
Bucks3009

Re: VX-Freedom 3-9x40 Bottomed out the turret

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 am

Not sure what gun you have, but try swapping that MOA base around so it tapers to the rear if the screw holes line up. There is no real need for a 20moa base on a 450.

Forget which model of burris rings have that insert thats adjustable, might be a option on the 0moa base.
Al in Mi

Postby Bucks3009 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:55 am

I have a home built AR. Like I was saying I've done a 0 MOA base already and got similar results
Bucks3009

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Almost all my rifles wear either Burris Signature Zee or Signature turn-in rings. Properly torqued, I haven't had any slip, up through my 300 WM, though I confess, in that particular case, I dusted their scope facing surfaces with a little rosin, as a preventative measure. I have a 1966 (CMP) Remington 40Xb (rimfire 700) that must have been made on a Friday, heading into a 3-day weekend as it had its base screw holes drilled off center into the receiver. A set of Signature rings with + and - 10 MOA inserts brought it back in line. An added benefit is the fact that the inserts gimble to allow the scope body the not get stressed because of the offset. The rings are my favorite material for rifle add-ons. Steel or Stainless Steel. I'm not a weight worrier. I could have sent the rifle out to get the screw holes filled and re-drilled but don't like sending my babies out of state, not to mention the cost.

I highly recommend those rings when you need to offset the scope for whatever reason. I agree that a +20 MOA base on a 450b, is a waste but some receivers with integral rails are shipping with +20 MOA as a standard.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:13 pm

Do you have another upper you can try that barrel on?
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:14 pm

have you tried zero'ing the optic on another upper? even if its a 5.56 or something like that

be a quick way to find out if you have an optic/mount issue or an upper issue you're dealing with.

you said you've already tried two mounts, so its not likely a mount issue. id flip it onto another upper that you know zeros with a different optic and see what it gets you.
plant_one

Postby Bucks3009 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Thank you for all of the replies. I got a response from Leupold themselves that may prove to be helpful for others with this issue. When I get back to the range after working this below option I'll report back.

Hi redacted,

Thank you for writing us! You are most likely hitting the zero stop within the dial. With that said, to get more down travel simply take the allen key that was included with the scope in the box and use it to crack loose the set screws you will find in the upper rim of the dial. Once these are loose, "spin" the dial counterclockwise until it stops again, nearly at a full revolution. Here, you can tighten those set screws back down to reengage the adjustment itself and from here you should have 1 full revolution of downward travel available before the dial bottoms out again. In the event you still need more travel, just repeat those steps. Once the rifle is zeroed, go ahead and loosen the set screws, spin the dial clockwise until it stops at "1" and snug those set screws back down.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
David
Bucks3009

Postby plant_one » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:02 pm

d'oh... i wasnt even thinking of that... buddy just had that problem with his 350 legend version of that optic not 2 months ago. wow.
plant_one

Postby tpcollins » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:35 am

Bucks3009 wrote:I have your VX-Freedom 3-9x40 450 Bushmaster edition, I am using the Hornady Black round the CDS is designed for and I am using a Warne 20 MOA 1 piece mount. My problem is that I can't get a zero at 100 yards. I have the optic bottomed out in the down position with no way of getting anymore down and I am about 24+ inches high at 100yds. I have also used a Warne 0 MOA 1 piece mount and was 6 inches high at 50 yards. I am not sure what else to do and thought maybe you guys could help. Thank you in advance for your help.

That’s screwed up. With a 20 MOA mount you’re already pointing the barrel upward, I’d turn the mount around 180º and that should bring it down 40 MOA.

And while the scope is off, hold the objective up against a mirror and look thru it. Turn the elevation turret up and down - should see 2 sets of crosshairs with one of them moving with the turret.

It one doesn’t move send the scope in for repair.
tpcollins

Postby plant_one » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:47 am

if you look back - the issue was resolved... and it was just the zero stop that was the problem.

as i noted in the follow up... buddy had the same issue.
plant_one

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster