A affordable scope for your consideration Now W/PICS

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

A affordable scope for your consideration Now W/PICS

Postby RBDMTJager » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:29 am

Need to update this post
Got back from the rifle range yesterday evening and was so impressed with my Crimson Trace Brushline Pro's performance I went to Ebay buy two more. Only much to my disappointment find the scopes price went up from <$127 TMD to over $180. So in my opinion the scope is no longer a best buy and although I can not be sure of it, with the >$50 price increase there are likely other scopes in the same price point as good and possibly better.
Don't get me wrong the scope performed very well and I 100% satisfied with it in every possible way, but simply can no longer consider the scope a bargain and best buy.

I was looking for NOT a cheap but affordable scope to put on my new CVA Cascade in 450BM. I was looking for best scope under $250.
I choose my rifle scopes based on what I expect and need from them. No sense or need IMO/IME putting a $500+ optic on short range under 250 yard deer rifle.
My requirements for a scope on my 450BM was #1-durability and able to handle recoil. #2 Have all what I consider are mandatory attributes of a scope for deer hunting at short ranges. I was planning on using a 4-12x40mm VariX-II but I now have other plans for that scope.

I was looking at Leopold Freedom, Vortex Diamondback, Bushnell 6500, Sightron SII. But then I remembered my friend telling me how absolutely impressed and happy he was with his Crimson Trace Brushline Pro rifle scopes he put on his and his sons 12ga slug guns. So I called him and he said both scopes have held up for the last two deer seasons having withstood in his best guesstimate 45-50 12ga 3" sabot slugs as he and his son both practice a fair amount.

So I did a search for "best price on Crimson Trace Brushline Pro rifle scope". Found the 4-12x40mm duplex model at two places at a quite good price. One was Amazon the other Ebay. I bought two from Ebay as the price was so good I felt it worth the risk plus I was going use the scope to go shooting tomorrow or Tuesday only two or three days after I got it and put at least 40 rounds through the gun giving the scope a good test.

I chose to buy from the seller at Ebay as the price was quite good at $126.49 TMD

The Brushline Pro series from Crimson Trace are made and assembled in the Philipines NOT Communist China. A HUGE plus to me.
I am including a link to where to buy the scope and to Crimson Traces website so those interested can read the specifications of the scope and if they wish to buy can make a well informed decision to base their purchase on.

My models are the Brushline Pro 4-12x40mm with duplex reticle. Scope has no adjustment for parallax and considering its a 250 yards and under rifle I feel confident there is no need for adjustable parallax.

My initial impressions after unboxing it and examining it was it is a VERY high quality scope in all respects as I used one of my Bushnell 4200's and a Leupold VariX-II as a base to compare the Brushline Pro scope to. Nothing about the Brushline Pro strikes me as being cheaply made or less than very durable. Finish is a rich flat mat black. Power adjustment ring is IMO about perfect in stiffness to turn. All numbers are very precisely done and have laser clean edges. Scope caps are aluminum, very nicely knurled and are not at flimsy and are very well made. Turrets are also aluminum, very well made, numbers and markings again are very sharp with laser clean edges. Turrets are quite firm when turned and give very positive audible and tactile clicks when adjusting.
Mounted the scope on my Cascade and took the scope outside and viewed through it as well as the rifle wearing my Bushnell 4200 and my VariX-II. The Brushline Pro was every bit as clear and crisp as the 4200 and a tad better than the VariX-II, but bare in mind the VariX-II is a 25 year old scope and the lens coating of the CT/BLP I imagine are better or at least should be better.

Over all my initial impressions of the Crimson Trace Brushline Pro are very positive especially at the Price of under $130 and should be about perfect on a 200-250 yard deer rifle.
I will give a more thorough use based evaluation and review of it after I get back from the range in a few days.

Link to Crimson Trace's website and the specs of the Brushline Pro scope model I bought;
https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/r ... ro&start=1

Who I bought it from at Ebay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304621379429?V ... 4621379429
Be advised this seller does not accept returns.
I would have posted the link to buy the scope from Amazon but when I bought it it was priced at $135 now it's $179. That's the second time I've bought a rifle scope at Amazon at a very good price that the scope almost immediately went up in price AFTER I bought it. Last time was when I bought a Swift Premier 8-24x50mm target dot scope.
Here is a link to the 3-9x40mm virion at a IMO very good price;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GS5NRDY?re ... tails&th=1

Again I feel for a basic use short range hunting or any short range rifle scope application this is an excellent deal on a pretty good rifle scope.
Will be back in a few days with an update range report use.
PICTURE IS AS IT CAME WRAPPED BY THE SELLOR
Attachments
20220919_203713 (1)2A.jpg
20220919_203713 (1)2A.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 8595 times
Last edited by RBDMTJager on Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
RBDMTJager

Re: A affordable scope for your consideration.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:14 pm

The 450 Bushmaster cartridge will test your scopes limits in the end.
Thumper does not tolerate wimpy optics. Keep us posted.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby RBDMTJager » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Well loaded up 30 reloads at 5 different powder weight charges and two different COAL as well as 15 additional reloads for getting the scope zeroed. Am going to the range Wednesday or Thursday weather permitting.
New scope should get one heck of a work out as I plan on firing all 45 reloads.

Like to add bought a box of Hornady Custom Grade 450BM loaded with 250grn FTX's I will use for a number of purposes in judging the accuracy of the rifle as well as help sighting it in. Kinda hurt though spending $43 for 20 rounds

Will post my results.
Last edited by RBDMTJager on Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RBDMTJager

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:30 am

my old eyes ............. and brain............ need a simple #4 illuminated dot anymore.

Been pretty impressed with the glass last couple of Hawke scopes I've bought.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:18 pm

If you can, Chrony your shots and document the results of your loads. If you’re having issues, that data and the way the brass looks after the shots, and the way it chambered and ejected will be very helpful. And definitely take note of the sooting of the brass. Take some pics of the brass and the fired primers especially if you note any unusual behavior.
Watch your scope/rings and base if applicable for any movement.
Have fun.
Keep us posted.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:12 am

When I'm trying a new scope, after I mount it, get the eye relief I'm looking for and put the finishing torque (to spec) on it, I put pencil witness marks on either side of each ring. Then, I check them after every shot for the first ten or so. Once I'm satisfied that its not going anywhere, I rub off the pencil witness marks with my finger.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby RBDMTJager » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:46 pm

Hoot wrote:When I'm trying a new scope, after I mount it, get the eye relief I'm looking for and put the finishing torque (to spec) on it, I put pencil witness marks on either side of each ring. Then, I check them after every shot for the first ten or so. Once I'm satisfied that its not going anywhere, I rub off the pencil witness marks with my finger.

Hoot

Very good idea.
I've been doing similar for about 15 or so years but I use "White-Out" correction fluid and put two very tiny dots on either side of my scope tube on center to the top ring half. Stays on pretty god but does come right off with brake cleaner.
RBDMTJager

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:53 pm

I saw that link for Starline brass! :lol:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: A affordable scope for your consideration Now W/PICS

Postby RBDMTJager » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 pm

As packed in factory box
Attachments
20220919_203901 (1)4B.jpg
20220919_203901 (1)4B.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 8595 times