Conditional review of scope post price increase 2nd UPDATE

Red Dot? Low Power Variable? Muzzle Loader glass?
I get it, what to choose, what to choose.
Get info and talk about it here.

Moderator: MudBug

Conditional review of scope post price increase 2nd UPDATE

Postby RBDMTJager » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:54 pm

Just wanted to add a final update review of this scope. Just got back from my fourth range session and have exposed this scope now to a total of 105 of my reloads and 28 rounds of Hornady factory ammo for a total of 133 rounds and the scope tracked and performed perfectly. I am 100% satisfied in every way with this rifle scope. Glad I bought three when they were <$130 TMD.

Would like to add I just got back from my third range session shooting my new CVA Cascade using my also new Crimson Trace Brushline pro scope. I checked and the scope is currently available at Ebay for $150 TYD and I feel that's still a pretty good IMO bargain for what you get.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304635292503?e ... R7b-8c7tYA

The scope has now been exposed to a combined 75 of my reloads pushing a 245 grain Hornady Interlock with an average MV closer to 2490fps than 2480fps as well as 28 rounds of Hornady Custom Ammunition for a total of 103 rounds to date and the scope has held up 100% without issue and hasn't moved in it's rings.
I am absolutely 100% satisfied with this optic in every way. Even though I only paid <$130 for it I would still be 100% satisfied with it at $150TMD as I don't know of another scope NOT made in China (BIG deal with me) with the features this scope has for the same price let alone cheaper.
If you're in the market for a good all around short range hunting scope and you're happy with a standard Plex reticle, IMO this scope is worth your consideration.
I will post some pics of it here.

Need to preface this review with this scope the Crimson Trace Brushline Pro in the 24 hours since I bought two from eBay and one from Amazon both went up in price by over $50 so the scope while still a very good scope they now are not deserving of a best buy raiting and now are in the same price point of other scopes that might be it's equal, but as I didn't research those scopes I can offer no opinion or incite as to weather the Brushline Pro are their equal or superior now after their price increase.

Also system says my pictures are to big to allow posting.

But I did say I would post my review of the scope so here it is.

Well got back from my first range trip shooting my new CVA Cascade and can now post my review of my new Crimson Trace Brushline Pro 4-12x40mm rifle scope. I have also included a few pictures of it as well.

But first I must admit so impressed was I with this <$130 TMD scopes clarity, construction, tracking, and now durability that as soon as I got back home from the range went on line to my Ebay account with the intent on buying two more of these same scopes.

Only to be VERY disappointed to find the vendor I bought my scopes from had increased the price from <$127 TMD to $180+ so at that price I feel the scope is no longer a clear cut bargain and deserving of a best buy rating for scopes in this quality to price point class of rifle scopes who’s primary application is to be used on firearms for hunting or plinking at ranges under 300 yards.

As such I feel now that this scope is in the $180 dollar price point of rifle scopes I would need to thoroughly research similarly priced scopes with the same features to see if it still remains a better buy then other rifle scopes in the same price point.
I did update my original post to include this price change information.

Now for my evaluation of how well the scope performed.
Bare in mind my evaluation is based in large part on the fact this scope’s primary intended use in MY OPINION is for hunting at ranges below 300 yards and not for use as a medium let alone long range rifle scope and these limited ranges are a direct reflection of my evaluation of the scope.

Clarity:
First I adjusted the diopter so the duplex reticle was absolutely crisp and clear.
Only viewed through scope during bright ambient light so can not speak to scopes twilight performance.
I viewed through the scope at three different types of sight in targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards at 4x, 8x and 12x and sight picture was very clear and very crisp at all power settings. Shot sight in targets at 25, 50, 100 and steel plates at 100 and 200 yards. Images were very clear and crisp I had no issues seeing clay birds at 100, seeing and hitting 3” steel plates at 100 yards and 6” steel plates at 200 yards. Steel plate targets at both 100 and 200 larger than 3” were literally child's play.
Set the scope at 12x and looked at various plants targets, steel plates, clay birds and a few song birds at both 100 and 200 yards and found the images to be very clear and crisp. Edge to edge clarity at 12x of the scope was much better than I had expected for a sub $150 rifle scope. Yes there was a perceivable amount of blurriness at the very edges of the scope at 12x but it was so slight as to be a non-factor in shooting.

Eye box and eye relief:
I was able to get a full 4-3/8” of eye relief at 12x and still have a 95%+ sight picture.
I had no issue with the scopes eye box from 4x-10x but at 12x I did need to make sure of my head/eye alignment behind the scope, not a significant amount and not a problem but it is noticeable.

Power ring and turrets:
Power ring adjustment was silky smooth and IMO had just the correct amount of resistance. Adjustment ring itself is well knurled and would be very easy to adjust with bare or gloved hands. Numbers are of a size sufficient to be easily seen and read, and are very crisp clearly defined with laser sharp edges.

Turrets are well constructed and are of a tool-free hand adjustable design. Adjustments are crisp, well defined and not IMO the least bit mushy when you adjust them. They have a very tactile and audible “click” when you adjust them.
Turret caps are aluminum well made and well knurled and easy to remove and re-attach.

Diopter ring is also well marked for direction of +/- and also well knurled. One negative in MY OPINION is the design of the diopter is a ring located at the front of the rear ocular bell that doesn’t all for the installation of flip up scope caps.

Tracking:
While I performed no ‘Box test” of the scope I did using Hornady factory ammo, take 11 shots for the purpose of first zeroing the scope then adjusting the scopes POI that I made notes of each adjustment in terms of direction, how much in MOA/inches and how many clicks at first 25, then 50 and finally 100 yards and measured the resulting difference in the change of the scopes POI and determined the scope’s POI did move close enough to be considered exact for the amount I had adjusted it. My three largest vertical changes were 6” each at 100 yards (actually was 12” as yep went up when I should’ve went down), then 6” horizontal at 100 yards, largest adjustments at 25 and 50 were only 4” horizontal and vertical adjustments. I would adjudge the scope as tracking very good all be it admittedly a limited amount of testing.

Durability:
I fired 25 of my reloads using from 38 grains to 40.0 grains of Hodgdon Lil’Gun all pushing .452” 245 grain Hornady Interlocks and I fired 25 rounds of Hornady Custom ammunition using 250 grain FTX’s at an advertised MV of 2200fps for 50 total shots taken this range trip.
Again this is admittedly a rather limited recoil durability test, but the scope held up and tracked perfectly. About 20 years ago I began the practice of using ‘White Out” correction fluid to put highly visible but removable witness dot-marks on the tubes of all my scopes on hard recoiling rifles and shotguns on the tube immediately next to the top scope ring centered to the ring. This allows me to instantly notice if my scope has moved in the rings. The scope showed no movement what so ever in the rings. I did completely clean and de-grease all the screws, and threaded holes for the Warne horizontally split rings as well as the bases and used thread locking gel on the base screws and screws that affix the rings to the base. I torqued all screws to manufacturers recommended settings of 30-inch pounds for base screws and 18-inch pounds for steel rings.

Over all my initial impression of the Crimson Trace Brushline Pro 4-12x40mm scope is a very well made scope of very good durability that should give many years of service on rifles who’s recoil doesn't exceed that of the 450 Bushamster class of cartridge's and this would include rifle calibers in the class of 30/06 and below and including 12ga slug rifles as well. And if you use the scope within its design parameters of a shorter range application rifle scope it should serve you very well.

Just a damn shame the price went up from <$130 to >$180.
Last edited by RBDMTJager on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RBDMTJager

Re: Conditional review of scope post price increase

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:14 pm

Email me your pics and I will make them fit and post them for you.
TexasSheepdawg at g mail.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Optics for the 450 Bushmaster